MG5 KERS 3 & Brake Light Operation - Safety Recall?

After I had mine done, I kept checking from 50, but they only came on when it had slowed down to about 20, which surprised me. They didn't come on until it was a reasonable Temperature either, as KERS doesn't do too much when it's cold! You can see them in the mirror in a dark road, as the rear wiper shows red.
I thought I'd noticed my wiper glow red once or twice - but it's not happed regularly enough for me to be certain

Haven't seen my brake lights coming on cos of KERS yet.

The KERS3 braking doesn't feel that strong to me anyway, nothing worse than my previous EV. I've tried faster and slower speeds, and also letting the battery run down, but it doesn't really feel that sharp.

My car was delivered around the time the update was released so although the salesperson said it had been done, there is nothing to back that up.

But all in all I'm not too bothered really

I found the brake light operation very obvious in the dark.
The thing that hit me was the fact that it is not instantaneous so there is a tangible delay between the onset of deceleration and the brake light illuminating.

I fitted this red LED via a resistor on the high level brake light and can clearly see in the rear view mirror when the brakes come on. It does vary quite a bit, no regen above 95-97% and cold mornings not much regen. Traveling at 70mph if you jump off the accelerator it lights up straight away but I normally ease off the accelerator gradually. There a particular short off slip onto a roundabout and it always lights up there. If am am slowing down and can see it's not lit and something is close behind me then I can touch the brake pedal to light it up.
IMG_20211117_121432.jpg

Quick question does the KERS-3 update only work above a certain speed? Trying to figure out if mine needs doing but struggling to see if the brake lights come on at all. Got the missus to watch as I drove past, but only at 30mph, and she said no lights came on.
I did the same but at 40mph and they came on almost straight away apparently.
Not too many dark roads in a city to see them in the rear view mirror.

Do a quick email to MG HQ in London ([email protected]) and ask them if it needs doing based on your Reg. What I was told by my dealer upon investigation is:

The VIN is in the original list it has yet to be uploaded to DSR, we are awaiting on modification to DSR software before we attempt a refresh upload.
Any dealer can action RC007 and submit claim, the dealer needs to add the comment VIN taken from stock list’ and that will be fine’’

So not all regs are on the list yet for recall but can be forced by either HQ or a Dealer request. Mine's now booked in for early next month.
Quick question does the KERS-3 update only work above a certain speed? Trying to figure out if mine needs doing but struggling to see if the brake lights come on at all. Got the missus to watch as I drove past, but only at 30mph, and she said no lights came on.

I have an MG5 Long Range and had the KERS software updated. The brake lights appear in KERS2 from a decelerate.

Are the brake lights meant to light up when the car is on KERS2 and slowing down? Sometimes at the country roads and slowing down, I don't think they currently light up at KERS2 to make followers aware that you are slowing down.

Wouldn't it be related to the rate of deceleration rather than whatever mode you had it in?

I am still to see any lights in KERS3. Not that bothered really.

It's governed by deceleration but KERS2 should not be strong enough to trigger it. The recall letter was very specific about the safety issue relating to KERS3 only and it recommended driving in KERS1 or 2 as a palliative.

KERS1 could even be enough if you are going up hill at a rate of knots and then release. I will try it out after mine gets done next week and I travel up Bluebell Hill.

Thought I would bring this thread back to the first page of the forum as it concerns a safety issue which many owners may not be aware of. I collected my MG5 on Dec 20th and no one at the dealer mentioned anything about this issue. Having needed to contact the dealer about several other matters (including the non-functioning bottom section of the heated rear window which no one at the dealer was aware of and I had to tell them that it might possibly be the radio aerial!!) I mentioned the KERS3 recall. As it has clearly been known about by MG for several months I assumed my car would have had it done as part of the PDI. Actually no it hasn't as MG do not consider brake lights not coming on under deceleration as a safety issue believe it or not and are only updating cars as and when they come in for other issues or servicing. Maybe some more conscientious dealers are doing recalls but MG are not. I wonder how many MG5s have been rear ended due to this negligent attitude of MG? Really makes me think twice about buying another MG even though I do think its a great car but my dealers attitude and service has been beyond poor so far in my experience.

Thought I would bring this thread back to the first page of the forum as it concerns a safety issue which many owners may not be aware of. I collected my MG5 on Dec 20th and no one at the dealer mentioned anything about this issue. Having needed to contact the dealer about several other matters (including the non-functioning bottom section of the heated rear window which no one at the dealer was aware of and I had to tell them that it might possibly be the radio aerial!!) I mentioned the KERS3 recall. As it has clearly been known about by MG for several months I assumed my car would have had it done as part of the PDI. Actually no it hasn't as MG do not consider brake lights not coming on under deceleration as a safety issue believe it or not and are only updating cars as and when they come in for other issues or servicing. Maybe some more conscientious dealers are doing recalls but MG are not. I wonder how many MG5s have been rear ended due to this negligent attitude of MG? Really makes me think twice about buying another MG even though I do think its a great car but my dealers attitude and service has been beyond poor so far in my experience.
MG sent me a letter dated 22/11/2021 - with the bold title being "IMPORTANT INFORMATION - VEHICLE SAFETY RECALL"

Sounds like this could be an issue with your dealer experience (known to be a touch inconsistent rather than with MG - but obviously, I can only speak from personal experience.

Hello Keith

If you though the rear screen might be the aerial why did you need to ask them? You weren't trying to catch them out by any chance?

I don't think that mine has had the KERS update either yet am pleased to report that no one has rear ended me yet. Early days yet though. I have been rear ended twice in previous cars when the brake lights came on though.

There is, of course, a recall and you should ask your dealer to check the recall database.

I do think it's a bit much to expect them to know everything about every car at the drop of a hat but it does seem that some are ,pore aware than others. Did you speak to sales or the tech people?

MG sent me a letter dated 22/11/2021 - with the bold title being "IMPORTANT INFORMATION - VEHICLE SAFETY RECALL"

Sounds like this could be an issue with your dealer experience (known to be a touch inconsistent rather than with MG - but obviously, I can only speak from personal experience.

Same here, wasn't that urgent IMO, so we just had it done this week.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom