• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Knocking noise from rear suspension

Neil Fellows

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Sorry if this isn't a great explanation, but just noticed a loud 'knock' coming from the rear of the car when going over potholes, speed bumps etc. Never done it before. Not sure it would be picked up on a recording if I did one, so trying to explain here instead!

It's almost like heaving a heavy concrete block in the boot and zooming over a pothole. My boot is empty, usual loading covers in place, spare wheel kit bolted down fine.

Has anyone else experienced this please? Its a 2021 MG5 SR, 10,000 miles.

Could also be something rattling around in the boot.

See here:

Sorry if this isn't a great explanation, but just noticed a loud 'knock' coming from the rear of the car when going over potholes, speed bumps etc. Never done it before. Not sure it would be picked up on a recording if I did one, so trying to explain here instead!

It's almost like heaving a heavy concrete block in the boot and zooming over a pothole. My boot is empty, usual loading covers in place, spare wheel kit bolted down fine.

Has anyone else experienced this please? Its a 2021 MG5 SR, 10,000 miles.
Some other owners have had this problem. Turned out to be rear shock absorbers.

Saw a couple of reports the other day of fractured springs! That symptom is absolutely textbook for that problem and the can be surprisingly difficult to spot if the fracture is only an inch or two from the end.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom