Knocking noise from the sunroof area!

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve posted my experiences so far on other threads (sorry if I hijacked your thread🙄).
I thought I would start a thread detailing my experiences so that these might help others with a similar issue.
Funnily enough I was only thinking that after about 5000miles my car has, apart from the odd rattle been quite quiet really. I do hope that this is not the start of Rattlegate 🤨

so, firstly the noise;
it sounds like you’ve left the tailgate half open and it’s rattling on the latch. So quite a loud knock - sometimes like metal on metal. Annoyingly it sometimes stops - I get the impression the body has to twist/flex in a certain way when going over uneven surfaces - it also seems to improve during warmer days and also when the roof is open - although you obviously get more wind noise that masks internal noise to an extent - the noise seems to be behind my head in the sunroof area when I’m driving.
what i‘ve done;
taken all the junk and paraphernalia out of my car to make sure nothing was causing a noise 🤪
on good advice I screwed out a full turn the tailgate rubber stops to make sure the tailgate wasn’t actually moving around on the latch 🙁
had the rear seat backs down and road tested to see if it could be a rattle caused by where they latch on to the body 🙁
checked the usual culprits like A pillar trims and lower windscreen seal 🙁
opened the sunroof and had a look around for anything obvious that might make a noise - had a poke...🙁

Booked in to MG
anyway no luck so i’m booked in to the MG dealer on 12th April for initially a first look to identify what needs to be done (I can guarantee that it will be whisper quiet on that day). They tell me that they’ve not had this type of issue reported - which is interesting...
I’ll post updates when I get them 👀
thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far 😋

My rattle is definitely from the sunroof, if I hold the bar across the centre of the roof with my left hand whilst driving the rattle stops, no idea how to stop this permanently if it continues back to mg !

I’ve not tried that! I’ll give it a go.

Looks like it is time for my sunroof to make some noise. I would say is loud compare to other unwanted sounds, which can hear during driving. Started yesterday, suddenly. No difference 8f sunroof is open or close. Makes me crazy as it's over my and my clients head. I am starting to have enough MG. Not the car, but dealers. My old 11 reg Mondeo after many miles and 1 year as taxi didn't give me any stress.
Going tomorrow to see sales manager at Richmonds, as talking to service team is pointless.

Looks like it is time for my sunroof to make some noise. I would say is loud compare to other unwanted sounds, which can hear during driving. Started yesterday, suddenly. No difference 8f sunroof is open or close. Makes me crazy as it's over my and my clients head. I am starting to have enough MG. Not the car, but dealers. My old 11 reg Mondeo after many miles and 1 year as taxi didn't give me any stress.
Going tomorrow to see sales manager at Richmonds, as talking to service team is pointless.
My noise is overhead too. Please let me know how you get on. What are the other ‘unwanted‘ sounds that you refer to? I’m hoping that the rattles don’t start as the car gets more miles on it as I’m overall very pleased with it. What mileage have you covered in yours?

My noise is overhead too. Please let me know how you get on. What are the other ‘unwanted‘ sounds that you refer to? I’m hoping that the rattles don’t start as the car gets more miles on it as I’m overall very pleased with it. What mileage have you covered in yours?
Well from Dec 20, 6600 miles atm.
A Pilar ( 1 fixed, other service couldn't see any problem with) , windscreen ( like too much stress/ tension going through sealant/glue on top of it), steering column.
It's city driving, so uneven, bumpy roads and low speed, radio on vol 1.
First 1500 miles all been ok.

that’s not too bad. The irritating thing with a lot of these minor issues is that dealers don’t get them sorted.

I’ve noticed today that if I put my hand (when the car is moving with roof closed) where the front opening sunroof glass meets the rear fixed glass I can feel it flexing quite a bit. I guess that this is perfectly normal. It got me thinking that I might silicone up all the surfaces that mate together and see if this helps. It could be similar to the windscreen lower seal with that almost cracking of rubber/plastic/glass rubbing. Just a thought. Try your roof you will feel it flexing! 🤪🤪🤪

So long story short.... Service team let me down again. As there was no sales manager today, neither service manager, I had a word with senior service advisor (at 10AM). She told me, that she will print all my previous job sheets and will speak with technician regarding faults and repairs. Then she told me to expect this afternoon call from her to discuss and address problems asap.
And that is how our conversation finished....
No call from her at all.
Again Richmonds Southampton let me down.
Looks like email/letter to manager need to be sent. My disappointment and sadness is growing.

Hi Cocijo - I had a thought last night about your noise. I recall a conversation in a thread some time ago (and the Youtube video) of people having their rear facing dashcams linked to the front facing dashcam with the lead going through the headlining, and to the side of the sunroof.

Do you have a lead under the headlining? Maybe it's that which is rattling against something in the sunroof cassette?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Cocijo - I had a thought last night about your noise. I recall a conversation in a thread some time ago (and the Youtube video) of people having their rear facing dashcams linked to the front facing dashcam with the lead going through the headlining, and to the side of the sunroof.

Do you have a lead under the headlining? Maybe it's that which is rattling against something in the sunroof cassette?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Nice thought - thanks. But no I don’t.
I’ve had a good clean around all of the rubber and plastic on the car now and I’ve applied silicon rubber in particular to the sunroof seals and where the two glass panels meet. It’s early days but after a journey of 10miles - no noise yet... (it might be my imagination but my car always seems to be quieter after it has been washed!) thanks again for the suggestion though. 😋

Sounds really irritating. It should be easy enough to find though. My sound is completely different. I think that I may have cured it by lubricating all the seals. Fingers crossed over the next few days. Look forward to an update on you getting yours sorted.

Blimey that's annoying.
Could it be the wind that is causing the rattle, rather than vibrations.
Touch wood we've got to 3000 miles and not noticed any rattles anywhere, yet!
Nearly 17000 miles and no rattles what so ever...frustrating that others have had problems...

Fantastic news, what do you think it was then?
Thanks. I’m not completely sure that it’s cured, however I had a good clean around the sunroof area and applied silicone to all of the rubber seals and joints paying particular attention to the edges of the moving sunroof glass. Since then over about 50miles it’s been quiet. I think that it could be similar to the cracking type noise that some have had - caused by the lower windscreen seal rubbing on the windscreen - but obviously on the sunroof edges - the roof flexes a lot as the body moves around. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of days. If it’s ok I’ll not take it in on Monday and cancel. 🙂

Thanks. I’m not completely sure that it’s cured, however I had a good clean around the sunroof area and applied silicone to all of the rubber seals and joints paying particular attention to the edges of the moving sunroof glass. Since then over about 50miles it’s been quiet. I think that it could be similar to the cracking type noise that some have had - caused by the lower windscreen seal rubbing on the windscreen - but obviously on the sunroof edges - the roof flexes a lot as the body moves around. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of days. If it’s ok I’ll not take it in on Monday and cancel. 🙂
Fingers crossed for you

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom