• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

kWh drop off when charging.

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just as a matter of interest, not really a concern, but I did a home charge from around 40% to full last night and I noticed on the old smart meter monitor the kWh being used dropped from 7.2 kWH to around 2.8 kWH for the last hour. At first I though it may be doing the cell balancing routine, which it shouldn't as it's only its third partial charge, but the MG badge was still pulsing. I know normally when you charge a 12 v battery the current drops off as the battery gets fuller, is this the same for HV (lithium) batteries ?

I noticed the same. Difficult to see the exact duration in the Zappi app when it happens, but looks like 30 minutes before full. Drops from 6.6 to 2.6 in my case.

Just charged and noticed: at 95/96% it drops to 2.6 at over 99% it even drops to 0.2 before full.

Last edited:
Not sure why no-one has responded to this. This is normal. The only way I can explains is as the battery gets fuller it harder to push in more electricity... It's like blowing up a tyre at first its easy but as more and more air gets pushed in it gets harder to push more in. From 80 to 100% it can take a charger as long to charge that last 20% as it did the first 80%.

I've read the following analogy : it's like filling a bottle, you have to slow down at the end if you don't want to spill water everywhere.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom