• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Lane Keeping forcing lane change

TorvaFirmus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
A couple of times now, when driving down the motorway, the car suddenly tries to veer into the next lane. As if it suddenly thinks I am straddling a line. Luckily it only just starts crossing the line into the next lane before it gives up. This allows me to correct before I hit anyone. But still. This is dangerous.

Has anyone else seen this?

This is a well known feature, most people turn off the Lane Keeping Assistance before setting off on a journey.
It will come back on after parking the car.
it also depends on which software version you have, if it stays off after turning off or not.

If you search this forum you will find lots of comments regarding this.

Had this problem from the day I pick up my MG4 Trophy. I disable the lane keep Assist but turns itself on moments later. MG Perth are Aware of this problem.

I too have had this since delivery, always have to turn it off before driving, second nature now. But, why didn't the demonstrator share this trait, it was not turned off by the salesman or myself before the test drive which was on small roads that play havoc with my SE. It does make me wonder if early demo cars had this feature removed?

Try turning your headlights off of Auto once you set the LKA off, it stays off until you start a new journey....worked for me

What you need to do is to press the footbrake to put the car in ready mode before you turn off the LKA.

If you do that you get a confirmation screen where you have to tap on "confirm" to confirm that you really really want to turn it off. Do that, and it stays off. If you turn it off before pressing the footbrake it seems to be off, but you don't get the confirmation screen and it's lying to you. It will go right back on again as soon as you do press the footbrake.

Try turning your headlights off of Auto once you set the LKA off, it stays off until you start a new journey....worked for me

I suspect that was a coincidence.

Last edited:
No Noncoincidence, Went through the procedure you outlined above ie to confirm, then driving along with headlights on auto, the LKA would turn itself back on if you went under some trees ie shady cover, the lights would turn on as expected but so would the LKA...therefore turn off lights from Auto and this strange feature doesn't happen ...ie LKA stays off for that journey if the headlights are not on auto.

Yeah, I remember now other people said the same.

Never happened to me though. I think I know what it is, I think it's the infotainment screen switching from day to night mode or back, if you have the setting at auto. I've never had it at auto so the infotainment screen always stays in day mode (unless I do a night drive which ain't happening in June) and the LKA stays off.

You need to do the fix to stop the lights coming on if you drive into the shadow of a tree on a sunny day, too. Rip the cover off the light sensor. Works a treat. There's a thread about it.

I tried setting LKA to Alert only and sensitivity to low.
Next time I switched the car on, Alert only had gone back to alert and assist but sensitivity stayed on low. I have yet to drive it with the low sensitivity on so I don't know what difference it makes.
Update: drove it today, no jerking of the wheel. (y)

Last edited:
L ll
A couple of times now, when driving down the motorway, the car suddenly tries to veer into the next lane. As if it suddenly thinks I am straddling a line. Luckily it only just starts crossing the line into the next lane before it gives up. This allows me to correct before I hit anyone. But still. This is dangerous.

Has anyone else seen this?
yes I have had exactly same problem even on country roads whilst driving on a perfectly straight rd several feet away from white line steering suddenly pulls towards the white line and bleeps as well quite dangerous really I . think i will contact dealer.

The manual says that the system can behave like this, and especially mentions country roads, and instructs the driver to turn it off immediately if this happens.

The problem is that it's impossible to turn it off immediately while driving the car.

i guess you just have to stop somewhere and turn it off and try to remember to disable it . next time you drive , so you’ll
have to run through a check list just like inan aero plane each time you take off what a faff

That's why I always disable it before I set off. It only takes a moment. It's far more trouble than it's worth - indeed, I don't think it's worth anything. I think that if you need an "aid" like that you're not fit to drive in the first place. I'm certainly not risking having it pull me weird directions on an unmarked road and be forced to try to disable it on the fly.

Hello I'm new here, having just taken delivery of my MG4 Trophy Long Range on Tuesday. At hand over by the dealer, they recommended turning off on driving on country roads...but it turns itself back on! I think I"ll follow Rolfe's advice. I've said elsewhere on the Forum, I had a Hyundai Kona 64kwh EV and when you set something, 'Drive Mode' for example, it stays set, not like the MG, where you have to keep setting it. I've followed dealers advice and set the 'star' button to change it on the steering wheel, but I'll hopefully get used to it. Good Forum.

Apparently the LKA defaulting to ON is a new requirement for the safety certification. The very first MG4s didn't do it, but as they go in for software updates and new software is applied, hey presto they start to do it. I'll bet Hyundais are the same - update the software, and suddenly it won't stay off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back