Led rear indicator and reverse lamps

AdyC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've just fitted led reverse lamps and indicators 10 minutes a side each and a huge difference over the stock lamps . ive always hated the yellow look of the reverse lamps and light output is non exsistent. Stock indicators arent very bright either and the new ones twice the light output. I thought i had taken a before and after but i messed up.
First job is to use a craft knife to ping off the bolt covers then undo the 2 x 10mm bolts below each cover and slide the entire light assembly out. Disconnect the wiring plug by a minimum amount of downward pressure on the locking tab then the entire unit lifts away.
I used a magnetic socket end as the bolt is recessed and if it falls down it will end up in the bumper however a couple of bangs underneath on the under tray and out it rolls if this happens
Both lamps come out with a quarter turn . Refit reverse of removal easy job.

Amazon product ASIN B08QN1R78F
Amazon product ASIN B0B7RHKWS2

Attachments

• IMG_20230412_125512.jpg
    IMG_20230412_125512.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_20230412_130458.jpg
    IMG_20230412_130458.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_20230412_130057.jpg
    IMG_20230412_130057.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_20230412_201843.jpg
    IMG_20230412_201843.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 763
  • IMG_20230412_201840.jpg
    IMG_20230412_201840.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_20230412_201838.jpg
    IMG_20230412_201838.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20230412_201835.jpg
    IMG_20230412_201835.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_20230412_201826.jpg
    IMG_20230412_201826.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
I was going to replace the reversing light bulbs with LED projector type, but having removed the bolts I could not readily get the light assembly off - they didn't want to just slide. Are there other press fit connections, etc?

Be brave just give it a wiggle and a tug but dont pull on the plastic waterproof cover part as its usual MG made of chocolate and will break.The cover is the bit which has the 2 holes and the blanking covers in . They are a bit tight but will slide out. I sprayed a bit of silicone on when i slid them back. Ill try and get a couple of night time photos so you can see the difference later.
No other plugs other than the white one in the image. There is a pin locator but this wont impact on removal.
Photos added and they are Bright.....

Last edited:
Hi, I've been looking to do something similar myself, I've already fitted brighter reversing lights as it can be tricky to see behind while reversing.

Can I ask after swapping to LED indicators, does the blinking speed change?

On some cars it can result is very fast flashing while indicating, AKA hyperflash

these are first on my list to do, brake, reverse and indicator on the rear when my Trophy arrives.

Can you link to the bulbs you used?

I'm surprised you don't get canbus errors after swapping them out. I tried doing something similar on my old GLA and the LED bulbs came with massive canbus drivers to prevent hyperflash and "bulb out" errors being generated as LED bulbs dont draw as much power.

these are first on my list to do, brake, reverse and indicator on the rear when my Trophy arrives.

Can you link to the bulbs you used?
Try those in the original post for starters.:D
I too would like a link to the bulbs as the ones in the OP don't work in my browser.
All I see is
1681537949940.png

I take it nobody is worried about replacement bulbs being an MOT failure. Technically it is not legal to replace incandescent with LEDs except for interior lights. I accept the detection risk is probably very small.
You are right. I originally thought it only applied to headlights but after a quick bit of research in tinterweb it applies to all exterior bulbs unless they are original equipment.

I take it nobody is worried about replacement bulbs being an MOT failure. Technically it is not legal to replace incandescent with LEDs except for interior lights. I accept the detection risk is probably very small.
I understand your concern here.

Hyperflash can be an MOT fail, I believe the wording says something like 'must flash no more than 2 times a second' about indicators and hazard lights.

If the replacement bulbs give out a similar amount of light or more, and the replacements are reliable and well made, then I'd be tempted to risk it. As far as I know the MOT tester will not be removing signal bulbs if they are working OK.

That said, there are some pretty nasty replacement LED's out there for signal bulbs, this guy found only a few good ones from around 20+, so I'd advise to research and test the bulbs before installing, even if the MOT isn't due for a while :) :

Shame you don't quote the conclusion:

"As we conclude this article – aftermarket LED bulbs are not road legal according to the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations as they are not E marked.

MOT testing centres will now fail LED upgrade bulbs in your headlights but the guidelines state nothing about other LED bulbs in your vehicle.

There is never a guarantee that your vehicle will pass an MOT if you purchase cheap or faulty products so always ensure that you purchase quality branded LED bulbs from reputable sellers.

We believe that the system for car bulbs is vastly outdated. The The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 is based on old technology and doesn’t account for newer technologies like LED’s. The regulations are not in-line with current MOT testing guidelines and creates a confusing message for people looking to purchase these products."

Shame you don't quote the conclusion:

"As we conclude this article – aftermarket LED bulbs are not road legal according to the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations as they are not E marked.

MOT testing centres will now fail LED upgrade bulbs in your headlights but the guidelines state nothing about other LED bulbs in your vehicle.

There is never a guarantee that your vehicle will pass an MOT if you purchase cheap or faulty products so always ensure that you purchase quality branded LED bulbs from reputable sellers.

We believe that the system for car bulbs is vastly outdated. The The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 is based on old technology and doesn’t account for newer technologies like LED’s. The regulations are not in-line with current MOT testing guidelines and creates a confusing message for people looking to purchase these products."
Indeed that is what the road vehicle lighting regulations state but not what is stated as part of the MOT test!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom