• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Liquid stains from vents?

Nstric

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’ve just bought a 2021 MG5 EV, I have noticed a few issues - a deep metallic clunk can be heard when moving off and felt through the pedal and footwell, and also even more noticeably, white liquid stains are appearing inside the cabin around the vents on the left hand side. Nothing on the right hand side.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• CD9B4291-19BF-4196-9DE4-67291E7E04CB.jpeg
    CD9B4291-19BF-4196-9DE4-67291E7E04CB.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 3FC8D82D-B7F7-4230-B643-27A114453C9A.jpeg
    3FC8D82D-B7F7-4230-B643-27A114453C9A.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 104
The clunk could be autohold which seems to keep the breaks on a bit longer than comfortable.

Your staining just looks like the rain getting in when the door is open.

Haven’t opened that door in the rain, and it’s only one side. There’s nothing like that around the boot, drivers side or rear, and the stains at the AC vent have a white salt-like residue.

Is it possibly road/rain spray entering into the HVAC system?

Got to the root of this issue just recently - screen wash is likely leaking somewhere and being pulled into the HVAC airflow. I have to turn off the HVAC blowers (which also automatically activates recirc) before using the screenwash jets. Otherwise the fine spray gets sucked in and blown in your face.

I switched from glasses to contacts and was confused why my eyes kept burning randomly while driving. Wondered if refrigerant was leaking, or was having some allergic reaction to the valeting products, until my partner got a faceful of screenwash fog when we had the blowers on full in the hot weather and I used the jets to clear a dusty windscreen.

Last edited:
Got to the root of this issue just recently - design flaw in the MG5 where you have to turn off your HVAC blowers (which also automatically activates recirc) before using the screenwash jets. Otherwise the fine spray gets sucked in and blown in your face.

I switched from glasses to contacts and was confused why my eyes kept burning randomly while driving. Wondered if refrigerant was leaking, or was having some allergic reaction to the valeting products, until my partner got a faceful of screenwash fog when we had the blowers on full in the hot weather and I used the jets to clear a dusty windscreen.

Yet another stupid design flaw of the MG5. We'll be switching over to just plain water as soon as this load is finished.
Errr.. I think this may be limited to your car!

I have a 5 always use the AC, am very OCD about muck on my windscreen and haven't once noticed anything coming through the vents. There are also 9 other MG5 company cars at my place and nobody had mentioned this and we have a very close mutual support (moaning) netwrok for our cars.

Our ex-demonstrator 5 had stains like those from the valeting, a bit too much spray cleaner (it was during Covid when we bought it).

Errr.. I think this may be limited to your car!

I have a 5 always use the AC, am very OCD about muck on my windscreen and haven't once noticed anything coming through the vents. There are also 9 other MG5 company cars at my place and nobody had mentioned this and we have a very close mutual support (moaning) netwrok for our cars.
Could potentially be a bit of a leak then - I’ll have a really close look. Possibly where the lines attach to the base of the jets?

This car has been a can of worms since I bought it. Now I’m understanding why the previous owner sold it back to the dealership after 1 year.

Are your MG5s all first spec?

Mine is a pre-facelift 5, bought brand-new March 22, and I have not experienced either the white marks or the windscreen washer spray being "redistributed" via the AC system!

So yes, I rather think this is indeed limited to your car.

Could potentially be a bit of a leak then - I’ll have a really close look. Possibly where the lines attach to the base of the jets?

This car has been a can of worms since I bought it. Now I’m understanding why the previous owner sold it back to the dealership after 1 year.

Are your MG5s all first spec?

We have a mix, our first batch were 2021 Long Range the next batch were face lift Long Range. Most of us in the 2021 versions are quite unhappy with the cars, most of the Face Lift drivers seem OK with them but there are a few guys have the intermittent door handle issue.

Most of us in the 2021 versions are quite unhappy with the cars
Rather a sweeping statement!

Assuming you mean by the words 2021 versions those of us driving the pre-facelift versions I really haven't seen the evidence that most of us are unhappy, certainly I am not! In fact, for me, the car is one of the best I have ever owned and driven and yes, it is not the first one I have owned from new.

Thanks for the qualification of your use of the term most.

Still, perhaps fair to say that your "sample" may not be truly representative of the majority of pre-facelift owners?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom