Living on the edge 🤪

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Something quite satisfying getting home when you are 85 miles from home and you have a constant 15 mile difference between the GOM range and distance left on the sat nav and you get home with 6% left 🙈🤔 driving at a steady pace too.

Attachments

• C4D8D8F6-2C18-4F74-B014-8986545CF85E.jpeg
    C4D8D8F6-2C18-4F74-B014-8986545CF85E.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 124
I never look at the GOM, I just know that I can easily get 2 miles per 1% if I want to and can squeeze that over 2.5 miles if I'm really careful. 6% isn't cutting it that fine; you've got up to 15 miles there.

I never look at the GOM, I just know that I can easily get 2 miles per 1% if I want to and can squeeze that over 2.5 miles if I'm really careful. 6% isn't cutting it that fine; you've got up to 15 miles there.
Indeed....did you just challenge a dare? 🤪

I don't believe the GOM takes any account of actual driving conditions on the current trip - it seems to simply take the static state (mode, kers, maybe temp and some other factors like battery history/cell state) and applies that to the theoretical range and state of charge.

Perhaps more accurate would be to take your trip miles/kWh after at least 20 miles multiply that by 50 (as a good approx of the total kWh available at full charge and easier to do in your head - halve it and multiply by 100) and then apply the current charge % to it.

So if after 20 miles you are averaging 3.6 miles/kWh and you are at 33% charge then you've probably got 60 miles left. If you are getting 4.2miles/kWh then you've got 70 miles left.

At less than 20 miles done the miles/kWh is not meaningful for extrapolation.

BUT if your 20 miles has been from Princetown down to Plymouth and all at a steady 40mph and you're about to take it up to a steady 70 on the dual carriageway and up hills for the next 100miles and heavy rain is forecast then the calculation will be as far out as the GOM.

In other words use good sense - the future does not have to be the same as the past whether you are using GOM or some other calculation

I totally agree. The idea that the GOM shows a single figure is ludicrous. It should show a minimum and a maximum on a scale with an indication of the current average (over the last 60s) somewhere in the middle. I'll design something to show what I mean...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom