• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Wilma

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I had a test drive yesterday in MG4 SE. The salesman drove initially and when we stopped to change driver, he said the car was showing a key error. At this point all the doors were locked and the alarm sounder started. We couldn’t open the doors and he was unable to get the car to recognise the key moving it around the cabin also he was unable to move the car.
At this point he rang the showroom and got his colleague to bring out the spare key as we’d only gone a short distance.
Has anyone had a similar issue as he claimed he thought this problem had affected a small number of cars.
One thought I did have does the car have an unlock button anywhere?
I‘m new to electric cars and my 12 yr old car doesn’t have the same tech.
Thanks

There is info in the manual which may help in these situations.

Screenshot_20221101-113121_Drive.jpg

My ev has a manual key hidden inside the fob in case the door will not open electronically. Does the MG4 have the same fallback option?

Alan

Not being able to open the doors sounds quite serious.
yes that was my concern, particularly as most cars now auto lock above a certain speed.
my car has a lock/unlock button inside which could be used if the key battery was flat.

Not being able to open the doors sounds quite serious.
Yip manual emergency key if you are outside. You may not be able to start the car with it but at least you are inside...BUT stuck inside with no method to escape is a real issue!!! Perhaps the salesman didn't know the method to actually expedite escape? Back to the user manual for a
peruse!

My current ev recommends changing key fob battery every 6 months and the dash gives a low key battery warning

Alan

Presumably it has a physical key for starting rather than an electronic one?
We provide two smart keys to you, and each one includes
a backup mechanical key. It can be used to mechanically
unlock the doors in an emergency, but it cannot be used
to start the vehicle.

Yip manual emergency key if you are outside. You may not be able to start the car with it but at least you are inside...BUT stuck inside with no method to escape is a real issue!!! Perhaps the salesman didn't know the method to actually expedite escape? Back to the user manual for a
peruse!

My current ev recommends changing key fob battery every 6 months and the dash gives a low key battery warning

Alan
Would it not make more sense to have a rechargeable battery in the key fob,like in a smart watch??

We provide two smart keys to you, and each one includes
a backup mechanical key. It can be used to mechanically
unlock the doors in an emergency, but it cannot be used
to start the vehicle.

I was asking the OP regarding their "12 YO car". I recently drove a 2022 Peugeot 208 hire grotbox that had a similar button but it only worked with the physical key in the ignition.

Screenshot_20221101-130516_Drive.jpg

I wonder if the anti theft was set when the battery died? Also

Emergency Tailgate Opening
Tailgate emergency open switch is located in the inner side
of tailgate lock.
Fold down the rear seat to make sure the emergency open
keyhole plug on the tailgate trim plate can be touched.
Remove the plug, and rotate the emergency open knob
counterclockwise to open the tailgate from inside.

Screenshot_20221101-130901_Drive.jpg

Alan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 468 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums