• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

LONG DISTANCE DRIVERS - HOW DOES THE HS COPE WITH LONG DISTANCE DRIVING

Flatcoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
How are owners finding the PHEV on long journeys? In normal times We drive from Yorkshire to Prague at least once a year (500+ miles a day) and tow our caravan long distances upto 400miles in a day in UK and Europe. My current Volvo is a superb mile munching machine holding 100mph on de restricted autobahns with ease. So, this is NOT about economy or if the car can tow BUT is it comfortable, can it cope with LONG journeys easily? How does it compare with

Last edited:
Do you have an air spoiler on top of your 100 mpg racing caravan? 😏
Not sure the size of your van but once the battery is depleted I don’t think the HS would be very economical as a 1.5 petrol auto

Personally I think the "towing" capacity of the EHS is made purely for shopping for big packets in Ikea....or driving to the (how do u call it?) The recycling park.....with a trailer....but I don't think it's for long runs on vacation or anything......just my 2 cents...

I own a EHS 2 and I am planning to install a towing hook on it but only for short runs.....

I don’t tow but others have given good reports of the HS and HS PHEV as a tow car. What’s been reported on the PHEV when towing is that the battery gets depleted very quickly and once depleted it is very hard to re-charge the battery by engine alone. So ideally you will want somewhere you can charge during the journey and definitely at your destination.

Thanks but I asked how is the car on long journeys, Not how it tows! If you haven’t driven one on a long as in 3/400 miles or more your comments are irrelevant.

Hi Flatcoat,

In an attempt to answer your question:

I find the PHEV to be very comfortable, good seats, good driving position. At 70/80mph it is quiet at speed. It is easy to drive, with lane departure/active cruisecontrol etc.

So yes it should be suitable for you.

Thanks, that is the feedback I am looking for. The review in Autocar is limited and Diesel cars test comparison earlier this year is also limited (probably due to Covid) in its views. I am gradually moving towards one being top of my shortlist!

I haven’t driven HS to Poland yet. We normally do once / twice a year pre-covid.
Drove last year in Outlander and it was doing 40mpg. Faster you drive lower is the mpg

Last edited:
Thanks but I asked how is the car on long journeys, Not how it tows! If you haven’t driven one on a long as in 3/400 miles or more your comments are irrelevant.
Of course my comment is relevant considering I have the car compare to you actually not having one. Did you modified your original post about towing?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom