Long-range?

News to me, Alun. Certainly won't be as affordable as the current models, which have a range adequate enough for me. But still good to see such big orders going in for the 5, further testimony to the car's appeal, perceived reliability and value for money

I think the UK is getting a battery upgrade and bits for the current MG5, may get the 'new' model in a couple of years.

I personally think its way, way too early to replace completely with the new European version. What would make more sense is upping the battery capacity as a 'long range' version and keeping everything else the same.

Possibly, the battery could remain the same but the performance drops a fair bit. Who knows.

Googling 'MG 5 Long Range' results in a link to an official MG Website Page called MG 5 Long Range 2021. The page is blank but it is there. It must be being announced very soon.

Thinking about it, MG could do a UK version of the soon to be on sale European one, with the revised front and rear end, longer range, possibly MG Pilot etc. The only difference might between the 2 might be the interior as I assume the European interior will be very similar to the Roewe i5 interior (which looks so much better IMO). Time will tell.

I also wonder if that is why prices on the current (excuse the pun) model have become even keener recently?

Thinking about it, MG could do a UK version of the soon to be on sale European one, with the revised front and rear end, longer range, possibly MG Pilot etc. The only difference might between the 2 might be the interior as I assume the European interior will be very similar to the Roewe i5 interior (which looks so much better IMO). Time will tell.

I also wonder if that is why prices on the current (excuse the pun) model have become even keener recently?
From what I see on,

They look to be similar body with probably a larger battery. They might have added a new larger battery to attract fleet operators.

Screenshot_20210710-092955.jpg

Interesting that in the quick guides the diagram of under the bonnet does not show the the big plastic cover that is seen in the current 5.
Maybe this is how they can advertise as long range, as its that little bit lighter! ;)

They might have added a new larger battery to attract fleet operators.

Exactly this, fleet operators are where the big money is in the immediate future. Councils, health care, service companies, all looking to get brownie points and make the most of the incentives of going electric.
The current MG5 is uniquely ideal for many, being the only estate EV out there.

Interesting that in the quick guides the diagram of under the bonnet does not show the the big plastic cover that is seen in the current 5.
Maybe this is how they can advertise as long range, as its that little bit lighter! ;)
Based on the standard 5 guide neither does that

Anyone know about this new long range that is about to be announced?

I'm an early recipient of the MG5 as a Mitie employee. Had mine back in early February and have clocked up nearly 10k miles.
According to sources, the long range has an extra 30 miles and this has been achieved by reducing the acceleration.

Still using the same batteries, I'm told.

I'm an early recipient of the MG5 as a Mitie employee. Had mine back in early February and have clocked up nearly 10k miles.
According to sources, the long range has an extra 30 miles and this has been achieved by reducing the acceleration.

Hmm.. So I've got (well, not currently;)) a long range one already? All I have to do is accelaerate v. slowly...
I suspect it's more likely to be the 61kW pack, as 61/52.5 * 214miles come out to be exactly the 249 miles mentioned....

How are you finding it for work purposes?

Googling 'MG 5 Long Range' results in a link to an official MG Website Page called MG 5 Long Range 2021. The page is blank but it is there. It must be being announced very soon.
Hi, just joined this group, currently a Zoe ZE40 owner, but looking to replace with the MG5.
I came across this on the MG website yesterday evening & it was still up this afternoon (10/7/21/)
On the MG5 configurator page there are now options for 53 and 61kWh batteries.
Speaking with my local dealer, Pentraeth MG- they know nothing about it yet!

D436ED75-BD1E-45B7-A8D6-741AADF5B98A.PNG

Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me from 53 to 61kWhr although I suppose "every little helps". Call me cynical but I wouldn't mind betting that it's the same battery but with better battery management software :)

I suppose it could add another 30 miles (?) range- assuming no software tweaks go with this upgrade.
Something else I've just noticed on the page are some tech specs- not complete as the page seems to be a placeholder. However the listing does include the following:-
Adaptive cruise control
MG Pilot-MG5
IMG_0260.PNG
IMG_0262.PNG
IMG_0263.PNG

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom