• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Lost MG car key

sha66ir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello guys,

I have lost one of the 2 car keys for my Zs.

Can you get a replacement and how much will it cost.

Thanks

Just a FYI..

If you get the key you have cloned, this means that you will then have 2 "identical" (As far as the car is concerned) keys.

The lost key will still unlock and "start" your car.

The safest bet is to have a new key coded by MG or someone capable, and then have MG connect to the car and program the new key into the immobilizer, and at the same time, erase the lost key.

If someone finds your key, and start clicking the central lock button on it, every time he/she sees a MG and stumbles across your car, deciding to steal it, i am guessing that the insurance company would consider this "stolen with the key" and might not be willing to pay out the full amount for the stolen car.

Just something to think about.

They can offcourse get into the car with the keyblade, even if the key has been removed, but then i would imagine the alarm going off, and them not being able to stop the alarm because they have no valid remote, which would probably make them leg it as soon as the car starts beeping.

Just a FYI..

If you get the key you have cloned, this means that you will then have 2 "identical" (As far as the car is concerned) keys.

The lost key will still unlock and "start" your car.

The safest bet is to have a new key coded by MG or someone capable, and then have MG connect to the car and program the new key into the immobilizer, and at the same time, erase the lost key.

If someone finds your key, and start clicking the central lock button on it, every time he/she sees a MG and stumbles across your car, deciding to steal it, i am guessing that the insurance company would consider this "stolen with the key" and might not be willing to pay out the full amount for the stolen car.

Just something to think about.

They can offcourse get into the car with the keyblade, even if the key has been removed, but then i would imagine the alarm going off, and them not being able to stop the alarm because they have no valid remote, which would probably make them leg it as soon as the car starts beeping.
I see. Any idea how much this will cost

Your dealer will require your spare key when they are coding a new key fob.
As I was told by my local dealer, that recoding of keys needs to be done in pairs.
This may suggest that brand new codes are written to both your spare key and the replacement back up key for security reasons.
If so, the blade from the lost key could still be used to open the car, but it would not be possible to boot up the car.
What ever you do, don’t loose that second key or that is a whole different world of pain !.

Last edited:
Ask your local locksmith who advertises car locks. My son has just finished a course on vehicle locks and replacement keys. Weymouth and surrounding areas

Your dealer will require your spare key when they coding the new key.
As I was told by my local dealer, that recoding of keys needs to be done in pairs.
This may suggest that brand new codes are written to both your spare key and the replacement back up key for security reasons.
If so, the blade from the lost key could still be used to open the car, but it would not be possible to boot up the car.
What ever you do, don’t loose that second key or that is a whole different world of pain !.
Most likely the car will expect one of the keys coded to the car to be present for it to even consider accepting new keys.

This would be logical, as otherwise a car could be stolen on a flatbed, taken abroad and then just have new keys coded to the car there.

If there is no keys, the car will refuse to accept any keycoding actions.

Offcourse there will be something that can be done by MG, but it might include, fitting a new immobiliser unit, and coding this to the car, using codes only found on some MG server, and only to be released upon request from a dealer, that is trusted, and can verify ownership before doing so.

I see. Any idea how much this will cost
I have no idea, probably "a lot" more than having some backstreet locksmith clone the key, but still for ease of mind, i would certainly get it done this way, the cheap method means that there is potentially someone, somewhere, that has full access over your car, "Forever".

The only situation where i would just get the cloning done, was if i knew where the key was, and that there were no chance it would ever be found in working condition (Dropped in the ocean, dropped in a crusher, inside a burned down house, etc.)

Spoke to my dealership and they can't tell whether getting the locks manually replaced by a local locksmith will void my warranty

Any advise on what to do. I mistakenly dropped my MG key and it was smashed along the road. Not sure what to do . Please help

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom