• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 EV Estate Coming Soon To The UK - Update - it's here!

Darkriver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
It will be:
  • Similar size to Golf/Astra/Focus Estate
  • 200 miles+ WLTP range (approx 60kWh battery TBC)
  • £20-25k price (TBC)
  • 578 Litres of boot space (1456 litres with seats folded!)
  • CCS charging (under MG badge)
  • Launching July 2020 - first deliveries due September 2020
  • 2000 available for 2020 delivery (Q3/Q4)
I placed a £500 deposit for one with Chorley Group yesterday

mg5-ev-pic.jpg

Hi Darkriver, I'm very interested in this too but my local dealer doesn't seem to know much about it. Where can I glean some more information please?

Hi Darkriver, I'm very interested in this too but my local dealer doesn't seem to know much about it. Where can I glean some more information please?
For more info send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] and tell them John Douglas recommended you to Chorley MG;)
BTW, I'm not in the motor trade, just a customer.

More information.
The MG 5 EV is a rebadged Roewe Ei5 with a larger (55-60kwh) battery.
So we know with some detail what it will look like.
And if they manage to hit the target price of £20k (with the grant) for a 200 mile car, then these will fly out of the door.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

I like the range...I wish our current MG had another 50 miles of range. I'd be interested in an upgraded battery if one were available. I make a regular run of 155 miles and to do that without thinking about charging would be great.

Hi Folks,
Is this Roewe same as the MG5 electric?
The MG 5e is being discribed as small estate rather than a full size station wagon so I am not sure. MG 5e range 215 miles maximum but some say likely to substantially less than 200 miles. It seems range has not been confirmed yet.
I am getting a bit impatient with MG. I hear they are very capable of fitting even our current ZS EV with battery packs that will deliver same range as Tesla but somehow MG are convinced that they will make more money by internationally lagging behind Tesla. We are thus unlikely to see an MG with a 64kWh or more (above 300 mile range) any time soon. I don't see how this can be true but if this is true then MG is really playing a dangerous game as after awhile people will go elsewhere and won't allow themselves to be short changed on range. Well most ICE of similar body and engine size also have similar petrol tank size and have similar driving range on a full tank and not the vast range differences we are seeing in electric cars. The current thinking is that the same convergence will occur with EVs. By the time EVs become very wildly used, the only average sized EV that will be bought will be those with range more than 300miles. That is those that require 1 charging session per week to be able to cover the weekly activity of a family of 4 with 1 car. Any EVs being sold as new as well as second hand in 5 to 7 years time with less range are unlikely to fetch any good value.
My personal approach therefore is not to get excited about buying anything from MG now untill the MGs have a solid, above 300 mile range and well presented charging app in their standard EV equipment. Our ZS EV in 5 year may be valueless as on even a very good days it struggles to do 150miles on a single charge so it does less than half what the acceptable EV range will be in 5 years time.
Well what do you Folks think?

I suspect a bigger battery would push them into a price range (comparable with Kia e-Niro) incompatible with their brand values despite likely demand. Currently they have the niche to themselves (price similar to Zoe but substantially bigger car) and their market is people who need a bigger car but don't need a bigger range or price.

Mike R,
You are right about the price. But the issue is the thought that for about £500 to 1000 more maximum on what we are paying now MG could have given us all a 300 miles EV + obviously a better charging app.
In fact some even go as far as saying for the same price that we bought our EVs for, MG could have delivered a 300 miles car. The reason for our having a 150 mile car is not that this the best they can offer. It is thought that MG will make more money selling us the so called cheaper sub standard range cars while their parent company battery factories supply other brands millions of 64 kWh battery packs for their brands. The reason they won't put the 64kWh battery that the MG parent company produces cheaply into a MG is because if they put 64kWh packs in the MG there will be a fall in sells in the other brands and a shift to MG but in terms of profit the MG parent company will loose money as the shift to MG will not offset the loss of battery sales to other brands that will accompany putting 64 kWh battery in the MG.
Some sort of complex maths models of their marketing I am told but in all it is us the customer who is being short changed. We get something that is not the company's best product at a price that could easily have given us the best product.

Unfortunately it's the way of the world - the least they can get away with for the highest price people will pay...

Well that's it, you are right.
I have to accept that.
Yes, happy with the ZS EV for now but will be a bit more patient till later to buy my next MG ev
Anyway there is a pre - production brochure for this MG 5 EV so I will try to upload it if I can. It has same as ......is not much different from the ZS EV. Steering reach adjust and ? range 215 are the exceptions.

I believe that upping the capacity of the battery increases the cost by thousands...not just a few hundred.

The MG SUV has its own niche in the market and I love it. But its no longer quite as 'competitive' as it was, with the recent price increase.

Personally, I'd happily pay a few grand for an upgraded / exchange battery, but I appreciate that most folk don't actually "own" their cars now, and so there is probably not the market / volume required, to make it worth MG's time. I'd like to be proved wrong on this.....

For us, two factors made us jump at the MG - price and availability. If the battery pack were bigger, the price would be substantially higher (as pointed out by Chris) and they may have more limited manufacturing volume given that the single biggest limit to both price and manufacturing volume is the battery. 160 miles (on a good day) was just sufficient for us - I was looking for a 200+mile car, but in the end, the MG has proved ideal for our use (main car whilst in lockdown, moving to my wife's daily driver when back to "normal"). When the car is full every morning, 160 miles of range gets you a very usable car!! If the car had been north of £30K, we'd have held out for the e-Niro, or been looking to reach up to the Tesla Model 3, so MG would have lost their unique market segment.
MG had a unique market position in late 2019/2020, but with new low cost EVs coming onto the market now (Mini electric, Zoe, etc) they will loose their advantage unless they step up in the software department, IMHO!
One advantage they still have is availability (shortest waiting times) so let's see how the other vendors ramp up...

I was looking at news about the new Nissan Arya, and if that (or any EV, for that matter) wanders into Model Y price territory, I don't see why anyone would buy it over a Model Y other than a preference for finish or brand loyalty.
That's the way I see it, anyway.

Bigger battery does mean more expensive car and longer recharge time. Even on rapid chargers. I agree a 200+ range would have been better but for the price/quality and driveability I think it is reasonable value. If you buy a car with 140 mile range you must have reckoned it would be enough for your needs most of the time. For under £30k it's a good buy IMHO and it does what I need it to do, most of the time

Just checking if anyone has driven the MG5EV.
Please don't talk about the range / battery size issue as this gets members too excited and on the defensive....
IMHO a 44.5kWh battery in ZSEV was a big short change of customers. ZSEV should have come with at least a 52 to 54 kWh battery.
As for price MG's mother company themselves keep boasting that they are able to produce larger capacity batteries at relatively small difference so I do not understand why some think larger batteries will significantly cost more and the bigger battery in MG5EV proves this point.
What I really want to know is how the MG5EV drives and feels on the road and how one feels in the car.
A guy who has driven both ZSEV and the Roewe(Chinese version of MG5EV) in China feels it may be worthwhile trading in the ZSEV for a MG5EV and I am seriously considering this. It seems the MG dealerships are however very reluctant to consider ZSEV trade-in for MG5EV.
Has anyone driven the MG5? Any comments or advice on ZS EV vs MG5EV.

@teepee
Thanks. It looks very interesting and exciting on this video which I have already seen. I however have a strange feeling that what we may get in the UK may end up being inferior to what is on this video, hence why I am seeking comments from someone who has actually driven the MG5EV on UK roads.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom