• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 EV Estate Coming Soon To The UK - Update - it's here!

It's now on the MG UK website, no details though other than to request details when they become available.

Yes. Noticed that. That should mean it's in showrooms available for test drives but I have not noted any dealerships offering test drives yet.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
Yesterday I became one of the few who have had opportunity to see and be in the MG5EV.
My opinion has now changed.
It is an excellent car.
Has few issues
From the Tech side... No MG pilot otherwise same as ZS EV plus few things which are better such as a percentage battery power guage and far better temperature indicating AC.
From all other aspects functionally better than the ZS if one prefers Estates to SUV.
Drives smoothly. Range 214miles
Inside trim and space better than ZS EV but no glass roof.
It will be an excellent buy if the price is 25K but I hear may be more about 27K.

Sounding good so far!

Lack of driving aids doesn't bother me, however, coming from a Leaf, a lack of charge timer and app is a bit of a shame!

I was hoping it'd have a sunroof, but not a deal breaker.

Just need the cost now!

@Blackeunos
If you are in no hurry, then there will be an upgraded version of the MG5EV in about 18 months. Not sure how much difference the upgrade will make but I am sure it will make an already excellent car far better.

Hi Folks,
Yesterday I became one of the few who have had opportunity to see and be in the MG5EV.
My opinion has now changed.
It is an excellent car.
Has few issues
From the Tech side... No MG pilot otherwise same as ZS EV plus few things which are better such as a percentage battery power guage and far better temperature indicating AC.
From all other aspects functionally better than the ZS if one prefers Estates to SUV.
Drives smoothly. Range 214miles
Inside trim and space better than ZS EV but no glass roof.
It will be an excellent buy if the price is 25K but I hear may be more about 27K.

I've noticed the Roewe version has a smaller conventional sunroof. Are you saying the MG5 has no sunroof option at all, or just not the panoramic glass roof option?

Pleased to hear quality seems good/improving, this bodes well for the car I really do want and will be buying, the production e-motion. ;)

The one I was in has no sun roof at all.
It apparently is the baseline Roewe 5 electric that has been rename MG5EV.
The roof has an uneven motif of ridges and throughs and it has a roof rack rails but definately no panoramic glass roof.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I'm not yet an EV owner but having test driven the pre release demo at Chorley Group, Burnley the other day, I can say:
A: The car looks fantastic - Very similar look and to Golf / Passat estate. (I drove a red coloured, exclusive spec).
B: It's a great drive and very comfortable.
C: The charger port door opens like a traditional fuel cap rather than raising up.
D: I'm fairly sure this is going to be my first full EV (I've owned the Kia Niro Hybrid previously).

I look forward to the release and hopefully becoming an active member of this forum.

Scott :)

@ScottF
was in the same Red car last Saturday. Really very excellent drive and comfort in both front and back seats.
I hope to get to use one for a day or two in a couple of months so as to assess the Tech.
So far if one does not worry too much about tech then it is an excellent buy if the price comes in @ 25+/-2k.
@ScottF were you given any indication of price?

@ScottF
was in the same Red car last Saturday. Really very excellent drive and comfort in both front and back seats.
I hope to get to use one for a day or two in a couple of months so as to assess the Tech.
So far if one does not worry too much about tech then it is an excellent buy if the price comes in @ 25+/-2k.
@ScottF were you given any indication of price?

I think they may be looking at £1000 less than the ZS EV but they seem to be keeping their cards very close to their chests. I'm guessing we're just going to have to wait until the 22nd.

The problem with the bigger battery to increase mileage range only adds on weight to the car. Therefore greater the tyre wear to be consider.

This popped up on my Google news feed.
Autocar MG5 EV priced from £23,995

Apparently CAP had the price in their latest release.
@Blackeunos ...This is excellent news.
For this price and range better than ZS EV in my opinion is excellent value for money.
It is however always a bit confusing when they say from X.
Usually ends up being X plus 2.5k.
Anyway I remain very interested.
If things go well I will be ordering one.

Anyone else been to see this 'pre-release' demo at Chorley (or elsewhere)?

Any chance of some photos to see a bit more of it in what, hopefully, will be close to release spec?

Anyone else been to see this 'pre-release' demo at Chorley (or elsewhere)?

Any chance of some photos to see a bit more of it in what, hopefully, will be close to release spec?
It was a pre release demo so may not have the exact same spec as the launch version. The announcement is tomorrow, at which point all details should be clarified.
The version I drove will feature in a YouTube video to be launched tomorrow at 2pm:
watch
watch

They've got the price up up the MG website now, 'starting from £24,495'.

Although when you click through it still goes to the register your interest form.

It's after, £24,495 for Excite, £26,995 for the Exclusive. Range looks good in Miles and James' test videos, and the dash is better (battery %!), seats look more supportive, reach and rake on the steering wheel and auto climate, but the infotainment is an inch smaller and no MG Pilot or even ACC, it seems to be missing other saftey features of the ZS EV, which makes me think its Euro NCAP will be lower than the ZS. It's not a slam dunk which is better for you as a prospective buyer in my mind, unless range is king.

Its a lots of car for the money. Then again I said that about the ZS. It looks like a Passat which isn’t necessarily a good thing.

I’m not sure I want a car that long again. I do appreciate the higher driving position of the ZS. Climate would be nice. On balance I’m still very happy with the ZS, especially at the price I paid.

I keep going backwards and forwards between thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on an MG5 and I'll hang on a bit longer!

Price, a little more than I, personally, think it should be, but not bad.

Looks, subjective, a bit bland, possibly old before it's time, but none offensive. My other cars a Dacia Logan Mcv and due for a change as well, but we can't find anything to replace it for similar money!

Spec, it's okay, nothing to write home about, but missing some key features that I've got used to on my 6 year old leaf, such as charge timer, app with remote heating, heated steering wheel (oh my god I love it!), and other bits like a sunroof.

I'm a bit disappointed with the difference in spec as well, excite would do me, but it doesn't have roof rails, which I'd want to put the bikes on! If there'd been a sunroof and bigger/nicer wheels on the exclusive I'd see the benefit, but there's not really much on there for the 2.5k.

Then there's the 0% finance... That makes sense when you're borrowing £20k.

But I just don't know!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom