MG EVs Podcast Tuesday 10 October 2023 @ 7:30pm BST

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

In this podcast, we’re discussing how an EV with solar panels and batteries with the right energy tariff can save or even earn you money.

Join us at 7:30pm BST on Tuesday 10th October 2023.

If you find the MG EVs forum and this podcast useful, then please consider becoming a Premium Member for just £3+VAT per month. Details at https://www.mgevs.com/account/upgrades

Last edited:
Sorry I can`t make it tonight
I am a great fan on using Solar PV and batteries but I would like to point out one safety issue I have discovered PLEASE READ MY COMMENTS BELOW
One IMPORTANT point I would like people to be aware of total system loads when using batteries and charging the car on "cheap night time power"
I have a "Double Tesla Powerwall" If I set it up to charge on Octopus go it will consume 10Kw/hour
If I set the Myenergi Zappi to charge the car over the same period the simultaneous load is 17.2KW
Add on a few KW for house loads dishwashers etc and the load drifts to 20KW!!!!
This is a continuous load for possibly 2 hours. Things get very hot The main feed cables entering and exiting the meter get very hot! (60 deg C)
I now take great care to manage and phase the timing of car charging and battery charging using Octopus Go I only have a 4 hour window to play with, I would like to use Octopus Intelligent to give me a bigger time window to shuffle loads more but my early MG5 and Zappi2 charger are not supported yet.
PLEASE MAKE SURE PEOPLE ARE FULLY AWARE THE POTENTIAL HAZARD OF CHARGING A CAR AND A LARGE STORAGE BATTERY AT THE SAME TIME!
Each Tesla Power wall will grab 5KW of power My double wall grabs 10kw.

There is no point risking a fire to save few pennies on power

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom