MG iSmart gives wrong car.

Lensman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got my new MG 5 today

I have been able to register my car with iSmart and bind it using the Q code

The problem is that the model is wrong so I have no control over the Electric stuff as its says its not an Electric car.

Any body got any ideas?

Last edited:
Interesting - I was due to pick mine up yesterday, but I got a call the day before saying they were waiting for a software update package to come though from China. They didn't (and still don't) know when it will come.

My dealer didn't have any idea what software package it is and why the update is needed, but I wonder if it's a fix for that issue? (Complete guesswork - I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together to make 5)

Went to the garage this morning and they told me how to contact MG support, so I have rasied it with them.

Arranged to take mine into the MG dealership next Thursday. Since then tried all sorts to see if there was some strange glitch. Tried going through the 'unbind' / 'bind' process, both over WIFI and mobile network. No change - my car is still not an EV! Not sure now whether to keep garage appointment or just wait for an APP update.
I have other issues too. Remote operation of door closure is inconsistent. Also, although set to Imperial, it still quotes km

Arranged to take mine into the MG dealership next Thursday. Since then tried all sorts to see if there was some strange glitch. Tried going through the 'unbind' / 'bind' process, both over WIFI and mobile network. No change - my car is still not an EV! Not sure now whether to keep garage appointment or just wait for an APP update.
I have other issues too. Remote operation of door closure is inconsistent. Also, although set to Imperial, it still quotes km
The app is doing the same for my car. I think this an app issue rather than a vehicle issue and the dealer is unlikely to be able to resolve. I will look to report rather the google play store and see if any feedback arrives

I have raised this with MG customer support so hopefully they will pass this to the MG software team.

As a general question, has anyone at all got a MG5 Mk2 LR Trophy which is recognised correctly by iSmart? (Sounds unlikely if it's an app problem)

Secondly, could someone with a car (still waiting for mine) please confirm which iSmart features are available, e.g.

• remote control of a/c system to preheat/demist the cabin?
  • find my car?

I assume anything specific to an electric car, like scheduled charging doesn't work?

What about remote health check? (If that's really of any use anyway)

On mine its identifes as a HS which is not an Electric car.

I think the non electric functionality works but nothing to do with the electric.

This is a problem for me as I would like to use it as Control and monitor while charging.

So it means there's no way (without charging time calculations) of charging to 80% for example, if that's what someone wants? I presume there's no way to set max charge level from inside the car itself and that it has to be done from the app?

I know that whether or not to bother with 80% or just fill it up each time is a completely separate debate, which isn't for this thread...

Hi. Collected mine today. I’ve got the right car on the app. Can’t get the manuals via the app though. They are on my infotainment screen but not ideally if you are looking how to use that. Would prefer app remote to screen. 👍👍. It’s not on website either.

If the app is showing the right car, then the problems others are having would seem more likely to be car related rather than app-related. Maybe you have a later SW version in the car?

Collected mine yesterday and I have the same problem. Just created a thread for this before I read this and will now delete my thread! Anyway, I guess we'll await an update. Good news, I think, is there have been a bunch of fixes for the app and the MG4 over the last few weeks so maybe it'll sort itself out soon.

AJP

Same here with the app, relieved I'm not the only one. At least the de-mist/auto fans work with these chilly mornings. Tis the season!

Yes, ironically HVAC systems work fine with the Mg5 despite it f getting the wrong car but the app retorts it as always being unlocked and you can't use the app to lock it and unlock it.

My Mg4 reports as the correct car, I can lock and unlock it OK, but I can't turn on the HVAC using the app until I've gone up to it and opened a door. Then it works OK. I think a bunch of updates are needed!

Andy

Feed back from MG customer service about this below

Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

We are aware of a small number of vehicles that are experiencing this issue with the ismart app and MG5 vehicles. Our engineers are working to have this issue resolved as quickly as possible.

In the meantime are you able to send us over an email to [email protected] confirming the issue you are facing and your vehicle registration and we can log an individual case for yourself?

Thanks again for contacting us.

This email address is not monitored. Should you need to contact us further please email [email protected]

Kind regards,
MG Customer Service

Just got my MG5 Trophy 7 days ago and I too have an ismart wrong car issue It thinks it's a Marvel. Contacted support and got the same message as above. I suspect it is a SAIC database issue not an app, where they have the wrong VIN information, but could be wrong
However I do get some correct information such as tyre pressures, locked/unlocked etc.
BTW the only way I could get an authorising code when binding was to use email. Selecting phone/text I never got a code.
I'm also able to lock/unlock and set AC to on - great on cold mornings like today.
There were a few other points mentioned above, so this is my experience.

As far as setting maximum charge value you can do this from the EV menu in the car infotainment system by sliding the dashed line on the bar graph. This worked for me.
The only other problem I have is the voice recognition doesn't work. I'd be interested if anyone has got it working, and if so how?

Manuals only in the car as the ismart gives the Marvel manuals. I did find by going to the MG EU site (User manuals) you can download the New MG5 user manual as a PDF by entering your VIN number. The quality is not too good as it looks like a scan and also it seems some menus have been updated since it was done. However it is better than nothing.
I found a pdf copy of the Navi manual here - cdn.mgmotor.eu/manuals/MG5_Navi_Manual_EN.pdf
Hope these help and hope MG fix issues soon.

I have just installed the app update ( version 14 Dec 2022) and it appears to have sorted this issue out. The vehicle is now recognised as electric and shows a view / screen that you would expect. Not actually used it but looks hopeful :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom