• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ismart software europe...is it coming??

CDR

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

As we all know, when charging our cars we have limited information on the actual percentage, speed and state of charge. We can look at the display for 10 or 20 seconds which tells us very little. We can get some information from a rapid charger as to the current state of charge. So in my view the access to charging data is poor in the European version of software.

However, the Asian version seems to be great. I watched a you tube video today which shows how good it is. Bjorn also has some videos where he goes in to more detail.

Does anyone know if this version is coming to Europe anytime soon. Or is there some way we as owners can sign a petition and send it to MG?

Many thanks

My understanding is that the issue is not with MG. It apparently is with the IT authorities in Europe and the pressure they are under to stop Chinese Tech operating in Europe. I believe the Chinese may have considered using an European IT provider but the European IT authorities will not still allow them to harvest the information back to China for commercial purposes like Tesla are able to do and so there does not seem to be any incentive as people as are buying the European ZS EV model without the Internet connectivity and high tech data systems anyway.
Well that is what I have heard and read. Not 100% sure if all of it is true.
I do not think there is a way of getting a copy meant for the Asian models to work on the European ones.

When you are Rapid charging, you can have the car on in the ready state, and you can see the charge state while sitting in the car. You can even scroll to the battery state window which tells you how many volts are being sent to the car.

SAIC would more than likely need to establish servers in the EU in order to meet GDPR requirements and a support team based there to manage them. I guess since they’re selling plenty of cars as-is they’re not considering it to be a game changer.

I emailed MG europe and this is what they said, you will need a while to process this 😂:

Many thanks for your email,
MG is continuously working to make its products better. For all updates, please get in touch with your local MG dealer.

I emailed MG europe and this is what they said, you will need a while to process this 😂:

Many thanks for your email,
MG is continuously working to make its products better. For all updates, please get in touch with your local MG dealer.
Very interesting reply from MG. The impression I get about most of the UK local MG dealers is that owners have to bring updates to their attention and it seems they struggle to deal with issues about the updates.
Well at least MG claim they are working to make things better so I guess it is wait and see....🙄

Very interesting reply from MG. The impression I get about most of the UK local MG dealers is that owners have to bring updates to their attention and it seems they struggle to deal with issues about the updates.
Well at least MG claim they are working to make things better so I guess it is wait and see....🙄
Yes, and you also have to educate them as to what the update is for and the expected results. Total lack of communicating and training on MG's part.

Actually I love that the car is not connected to the internet. This was basically the reason I chose it over the different options with online functions. Basically active internet services always open your devices for vulnerabilities. Even if you trust MG now you do not now how politics change and what might happen in the future. I am happy to drive an offline car :)

My car is online via OVMS.

Attachments

• 42DB7B99-F1D0-45C4-AE67-1E9E34AF4473.jpeg
    42DB7B99-F1D0-45C4-AE67-1E9E34AF4473.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 671
There is a button up in the roof called emergency call (E-call is a EU-standard). I tried it and it was calling 112 - I told the guy that it was a mistake. But it did work! So I guess that there must be a SIM-card installed.

Last edited:
Hi there.
From various articles online, it seems that MG are using Microsoft Azure services to store the data for the iSmart connectivity (using local Azure regions, either India or Thailand, depending on the market).
I guess thats good news because it means that software wise, MG could probably deploy the iSmart servers easily in Azure European regions.
I'm not sure that would comply with GDPR requirements, as MG China would still have access to the data, I suppose. But just maybe its possible.

The problem is the stripped-down hardware MG is using in European models, that don't have connectivity. Here in Israel we also get the European infotainment system, without the app or connectivity.
When I contacted the local MG representative, asking about the app, they said that its being worked on, but they have no estimated date.
To tell the truth, I'm a bit skeptic about their answer. It sounds like a generic answer, without any real commitment.
In any case if it will happen, I guess it will only be on newer models of the ZS EV, not on current ones, because of the hardware limitations as we all know.

Last edited:
There is a button up in the roof called emergency call (E-call is a EU-standard). I tried it and it was calling 112 - I told the guy that it was a mistake. But it did work! So I guess that there must be a SIM-card installed.

Where exactly is this button?

The button is placed next to the cabin light, same console as the sun roof controls.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom