MG Pilot vs Cruise Control + Lane Assist?

mickw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Maybe I'm missing something but looking at the manual (don't yet have my Mk2 MG5 in the flesh). I can't see what the full MG Pilot offers on top of the functionality you get with adaptive cruise control on and lane keep assist on.

Can anyone clarify please?

On the lr not face-lift I have lane keep assist set to beep, then if I want pilot I turn it on with the stalk and turn the beep off with the button on the end. Pilot does the steering, cruise control does the braking, lane keep does nothing, beep or steering depending on a setting in the infotainment.

I'm driving original 5 LR Exclusive and months ago I turned off what I thought was lane assist and just used the ACC. Now my understanding was MG Pilot wasn't an actual thing rather just a collective name for the ACC and Lane Assist. Today I turned on the ACC using the stalk. Having fiddled about with the ACC stalk I notice two blue parallel lines appeared on either side of the car picture of the ACC screen which was new. I also noticed that the steering was noticeably lighter which I didn't like. I fiddled again with the stalk and I got the message "MG Pilot Off" and steering back to normal and ACC was off and the blue lines disappeared.

So I have no idea how I enabled MG Pilot, or disabled it nor how to get it back. In 18k miles this the first time I've ever seen any onscreen message relating to MG Pilot.

Confused.

I'm driving original 5 LR Exclusive and months ago I turned off what I thought was lane assist and just used the ACC. Now my understanding was MG Pilot wasn't an actual thing rather just a collective name for the ACC and Lane Assist. Today I turned on the ACC using the stalk. Having fiddled about with the ACC stalk I notice two blue parallel lines appeared on either side of the car picture of the ACC screen which was new. I also noticed that the steering was noticeably lighter which I didn't like. I fiddled again with the stalk and I got the message "MG Pilot Off" and steering back to normal and ACC was off and the blue lines disappeared.

So I have no idea how I enabled MG Pilot, or disabled it nor how to get it back. In 18k miles this the first time I've ever seen any onscreen message relating to MG Pilot.

Confused.
Double pull on the cruise control turns pilot on and off.

I'd leave it off if I were you. It works well on roads with well defined white lines and well behaved other drivers. Sadly I rarely find those and end up turning Pilot off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom