• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG Smart App and rear heated windscreen

alexhulse

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a facelift MG5 Trophy and I'm very pleased with it. The app works (mostly) as advertised - it's very nice to heat up the car before getting in! One thing I have noticed though is that if you turn on the read window heater in the app, it says it's doing it, but the elements don't turn on until the car is switched on, so the rear window won't defrost until you get to it. Has anyone else noticed this? It's like the car is willing to be set ready to turn on, but can't/won't turn on the elements without the HV engaged.

I have a facelift MG5 Trophy and I'm very pleased with it. The app works (mostly) as advertised - it's very nice to heat up the car before getting in! One thing I have noticed though is that if you turn on the read window heater in the app, it says it's doing it, but the elements don't turn on until the car is switched on, so the rear window won't defrost until you get to it. Has anyone else noticed this? It's like the car is willing to be set ready to turn on, but can't/won't turn on the elements without the HV engaged.
I haven't noticed this, to be fair I've tended to find that pre-heating the car has negated the need for me to additionally defrost the windows. It would be nice to be able to switch on the seat heating from the remote though - like you can on the MG4.

Yeh I agree all the models that have the app appear to be very different in one way or another I suppose if the rear screen could be activated from the app that draws a fair amount of current, plus the wing mirror heaters would also come on on top of that, and with the HVAC and seat heaters wouldn’t take long to run down the 12 volt so I think we have to be great full for what we have on this.
Les

Turn on the front window heating so that the HVAC is enabled, then turn on the rear widow heating — this is the only way it works.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. From memory I don’t think that turning in them both in that order makes any difference, but I will give it another try this (frosty!) morning. Otherwise I’ll mention it to the dealer when I’m getting the front passenger door handle changed soon!

I just hit the A/C button if I am preheating the cabin.
It opens all of the vents and sets the fan speed to 6 if I remember correctly you can set the desired temp in the HVAC tab.
I have mine set to 23 degrees I think ?.
It will 10 minute time out well before it hits this figure in these cold mornings though.
When there is thick frost on the car, I just use the App twice to get the car fully defrosted and toasty inside.

Yes - the “blast with AC” solution works well, but it’s odd that there’s a function the the app that doesn’t work - I assume it should, but given that the heated seats can’t be controlled, perhaps it’s an app oversight. Definitely not the end of the world though!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom