MG Warranty conditions stringent or not

zsevire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a MG ZS EV that's due a service, partly my fault had warning but by the time the dealer can do it it will end up being a few days outside of the 28 day window specified in the warranty conditions, not on mileage.

Anyone know how ruthlessly MG are enforcing this condition? For an EV I think it's nonsense but regardless I'd really hate to think that the totality of my (on the battery at least) my 7 year warranty on a car a year old is under threat because of this ridiculous condition imposed by MG.

Reading the warranty conditions I assumed it's included for the purpose of avoiding having to cover repairs under warranty as consumer behaviour says some/many/most won't leave it too long but maybe the few weeks which would see the 28 window expire on many.

I'd like to hear owners feedback on that. I have a couple of minor issues with the car.

I'd say it's unlikely to be an issue but you can only know for sure if and when you make a warranty claim. In the real world I've never come across a situation where problems have arisen in cases similar to yours (and it is quite common).

I think/hope that the key phrase you used is 'by the time the dealer can do it' So long as you have booked it in time I think you should be alright. Hopefully.
I agree, if the car was booked in you will be fine.
Last year they where being a bit more flexible with their approach due to the C19 problem.
It’s not just MG who adopt this approach, most only offer you a 28 - 30 day window.
I know we all consider that a yearly service on an EV is crazy, but if you want to retain the warranty, then that’s what we have to do I am afraid.
The cost is not mega expensive when you consider you are getting free AA cover and a bear 🐻 of course 🤣.
Just got to suck it up really.

I don't know how it works in your country but here in the Netherlands there is a law that sets to reasonalebility. So the question is, is it reasonable to cancel all warranty if you are late for a service appointment.. probably not. But if it comes to that a judge will dicide.

There is a yearly check for corrosion as wel. If you are late for the appointment and corrosion has formed excessively withoud MG to be able to treat it in time then it would be reasonable to cancel the warrenty.

Cooling fluid needs replacement according to the service schedual.not doing so could damadge the battary, like overheating. So if that was part of the maintenance schedual of you last service your battery would have had 1 month withoud warranty if it where to be overheated. I guess it didn't so the warranty should still be in effect.

I have a van that needed a service for warranty purposes, the manufacturer extended the period it had to be done by by a couple of months and around 2k miles if I remember rightly. This was due to the pandemic. I also got an e-mail form their HQ and printed off and put it with the service book, just in case ;-)

With the MG, I was contacted by the dealer and the first service was booked in for before the first anniversary of the car. I queried the impact, if any, on the warranty at the time and was told there wouldn't be any if the service was carried out within a reasonable amount of time of the first anniversary (or words to that effect).

To cover all basis, could you ask your dealer to send you a quick e-mail confirming the car has been booked in on the soonest date they could offer?

Thanks for the replies. I've no record of booking it for a service prior to the 28 days outside of phone records but it will be at most 1 week outside the 28 days. Will see how it goes as I've a couple of warranty issues to be seen to concurrent with the service.

For what it’s worth, I tried booking my car into my local dealer two weeks before Christmas in 2019.
The car registered on the 6th Jan 2020.
The dealer was taking no more further bookings until after Christmas.
The car was booked in for the first week after the new year.
It also required a recall for replacing the wiring loom in the drivers door, under warranty.
The loom did NOT arrive on time and the appointment was pushed back to the 15th of Jan 20.
Then the work was carried out under warranty, even though the car was late for its annual service.
There was NO issue of getting the work done.
They refused the car before Christmas due to work load.
It was hardy my fault that they could not find time to carry out the service.
The car was being presented in good time before it’s 1st Birthday.

For what it’s worth, I tried booking my car into my local dealer two weeks before Christmas in 2019.
The car registered on the 6th Jan 2020.
The dealer was taking no more further bookings until after Christmas.
The car was booked in for the first week after the new year.
It also required a recall for replacing the wiring loom in the drivers door, under warranty.
The loom did NOT arrive on time and the appointment was pushed back to the 15th of Jan 20.
Then the work was carried out under warranty, even though the car was late for its annual service.
There was NO issue of getting the work done.
They refused the car before Christmas due to work load.
It was hardy my fault that they could not find time to carry out the service.
The car was being presented in good time before it’s 1st Birthday.
Most manufacturers will give you a month or 1000 miles over, I think the OP was worried because his is more than a month.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom