MG ZS EV 2020 - Is there a timed charging feature?

Shanes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So,

We moved into our new build 4 years ago, and until now, never needed our charging port. When we went to use it, we realised it wasn't working and after some fighting, our housing company finally decided to replace it for free.

The box they've put in seems to be the same as before, an old rolec box with nothing more than a trip switch at the top and a port at the bottom.

I want to switch to octopus energy, but I can't see a way to put a timer on the charger other than manually switching the fuse box on and off at midnight til 5am.. I was thinking maybe a mechanical switch on the WiFi might be able to do this but that seems a bit OTT 😅

Does the car have an inbuilt timer that I've not found yet? Or are there any cables that come with the charger? I don't really want to buy a new box when they've just replaced this one for free.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

I'd scrap it and buy a more capable device.
Get an Ohme if you want to sign up for Octopus Intelligent.

Money is a bit tight at the moment, otherwise I'd have gone down this route.

Is there no option for timed charging on the ZS Ev then?

Octopus won't allow you to go on to their Intelligent plan unless you have a Ohme charger installed, at least that's what they told me. The Octopus Go tariff only has 4 hours of off peak charging which isn't good if you've got a LR.

You might pick up an old Ohme type2 EVSE that will plug into your dumb Rolec but they are becoming harder to find now.

You might pick up an old Ohme type2 EVSE that will plug into your dumb Rolec but they are becoming harder to find now.
Is that something like this? We need to purchase a cable anyway so that could be the ticket.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is that something like this? We need to purchase a cable anyway so that could be the ticket.

NO DO NOT BUY THIS as it is type2 to type1 for use on a Nissan Leaf.
You need type2 to type2 but you can't really use is at destination EVSE units just to convert dumb units to smart.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK haha, I won't buy this.

So are we at the agreement that the MG ZS Exec 2020 doesn't have a timed / delay feature on it? That's such a bad oversight.

We only charge it maybe once or twice a week, would we notice a significant difference in our bill? We're yet to have our bill through since getting the EV (from British GAS).

You could use the granny on a timer switched socket.

Not a good idea. Voltage spike whilst still charging can damage the granny charger. The Communication Pilot signal has to stop the charge first.
Would that be the same on a 7kW charger that was on a timed schedule ?
What happens if you had a power cut whilst charging, surely the granny charger should be protected from such eventualities ?

A 7kW charger will have a built in timer which terminates the CP signal, telling the car's onboard charger to stop. There's nothing you can do about a power cut, it's a roll of the dice I'm afraid. The odds are that it will be OK, but the more you do it, the more chance of damaging the granny unit.

Yes there is if you download an android app called smartcharge from Google play. You can set a timed charging schedule from it.

I believe that is for your phone. I have a similar app to charge my phone from 20% to 80%.
No it's an android app that allows you to set a charging time schedule for EV. Works for me with Octopus Go, BP pulse charger and MG ZS EV mk1. Allows you to set a charge time of 12:30 am to 04:30 am only every day or other times at your choice. I plug in at tea time and charging doesn't actually start until 12:30.

No it's an android app that allows you to set a charging time schedule for EV. Works for me with Octopus Go, BP pulse charger and MG ZS EV mk1. Allows you to set a charge time of 12:30 am to 04:30 am only every day or other times at your choice. I plug in at tea time and charging doesn't actually start until 12:30.
What is the app controlling? It must be the charger because a mk1 ZS doesn't have app support. The OP doesn't have a smart charger which can be controlled by an app, hence the post.

Yes the app controls the BP pulse charger, not the car itself. It was recommended by BP pulse as compatible with their charger so dont know if it works with any others.

The OP has a dumb Rolec and a mk1 so no way to set charge times. That's why I suggested a granny charger with built in timer. :)

The OP has a dumb Rolec and a mk1 so no way to set charge times. That's why I suggested a granny charger with built in timer. :)
Another option would be to install a Wi-Fi relay ( Sonoff / Shelly 1 ) inside the case of the dumb Rolec.
As long as the wall box is in Wi-Fi range of the router, then a controlled / delayed charge is possible from a free down load App to a phone.
I have an early dumb Rolec that had this facility and it worked absolutely fine on our Gen1 model for the two years that we owned it.
I am still using the same wall box on our ZS EV LR but I have disconnected the relay now, as the car has a built in time delay function built in.
The Shelly device is still working fine as it is still connected to the App.
If you are standing next to the wall box, I am able to activate the relay from my phone still and I can hear it clicking inside the casing !.
It’s just not connected to the comm’s device anymore.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom