• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV 2022 power tailgate upgrade

stoilis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I fitted my MG ZS EV 2022 with a power tailgate. You can see videos here:
  • Open/close using physical buttons:
  • Closing using fitted driver's seat button:
  • Open/close using key:

Some thoughts on the modification:
  • The usability could be improved. It requires a 2 step process for the opening. Press-hold-release, press-hold-release for going from closed to fully open position. And if you don't get the timing right, it may need an additional press-hold-release stage. It's not a problem, but it's kind of annoying.
  • It came with a foot-sensor, but it opted to skip it.
  • The kit was bought from AliExpress but right now I cannot find it. It seems to have been discontinued, but I believe it should turn up again. For what is worth, this is the seller.
  • It was fitted by John Kleis Audio. Highly recommended, if you are looking for similar kind of work. Initially I thought I could install on my own, but it required more involvement than I am comfortable.
It cost me a total of £836.

If you don't need it, it's probably not worth the hassle, but that's your decision.

Last edited:
I fitted my MG ZS EV 2022 with a power tailgate. You can see videos here:
  • Open/close using physical buttons:
  • Closing using fitted driver's seat button:
  • Open/close using key:

Some thoughts on the modification:
  • The usability could be improved. It requires a 2 step process for the opening. Press-hold-release, press-hold-release for going from closed to fully open position. And if you don't get the timing right, it may need an additional press-hold-release stage. It's not a problem, but it's kind of annoying.
  • It came with a foot-sensor, but it opted to skip it.
  • The kit was bought from AliExpress but right now I cannot find it. It seems to have been discontinued, but I believe it should turn up again. For what is worth, this is the seller.
  • It was fitted by John Kleis Audio. Highly recommended, if you are looking for similar kind of work. Initially I thought I could install on my own, but it required more involvement than I am comfortable.
It cost me a total of £836.

If you don't need it, it's probably not worth the hassle, but that's your decision.

You can still get them, I ordered one from An Car via Ali-express, it's due to arrive on the 10th Dec, it's currently somewhere in this country

Has anyone had the experience of fitting a powered tailgate DIY
I've just taken delivery of a power tailgate lift from Ali-Express, the printed paper instructions that came in the box were totally unreadable, I emailed them to send a copy by email which they did very promptly, now I can understand them. the wiring of them seems pretty straightforward it's the routing of the cables from the front to the back of the car that daunts me slightly. I'm not going to start the installation until this wintery weather has passed

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom