MG ZS EV - Australian Home Charging options

Deleted member 10911

Reaction score
Hello

Am about to take possession of my MG and am at a crossroad of what to do about the home charging. What options have other Australians gone for with their homes?

So many different EV units for sale.

Cheers
SM

Hi BadGolf, facing a similar dilemma, what did you go with?
I have yet to put the final decision in place, however, I am leaning toward this:

Its about $1,180. I have solar and feel it would likely give the most bang for buck.

Failing this, I have considered a Tesla Wall box as they apparently charge the MG as well (future proofing:eek:)

Ok that looks pretty good, I was thinking of the Zappi, priced a little higher ($1300), it's the install where the price goes up significantly from what it seems.

I'm thinking of waiting a while, I'm not convinced it needs to be smart if I just plug it in during the day, especially this summer (to draw from my solar).

Ok that looks pretty good, I was thinking of the Zappi, priced a little higher ($1300), it's the install where the price goes up significantly from what it seems.

I'm thinking of waiting a while, I'm not convinced it needs to be smart if I just plug it in during the day, especially this summer (to draw from my solar).
I had the Zappi priced. Funnily enough, once all the gizmos and gadgets were installed (the zappi is like the Jetstar of wall connectors) it was $2,800. ($1,900 or so just for the zappi)

We didn’t really have time to investigate everything and just got the 7kwh charger unit from the dealer (with a discount) and had our electrician install. He did the install with a bunch of other things so not sure what the cost was but he had to run a 15amp (I think??) circuit for it. We literally just plug it in and unplug it. I know you can set up all sorts of rules etc but we haven’t bothered and are super happy.

We didn’t really have time to investigate everything and just got the 7kwh charger unit from the dealer (with a discount) and had our electrician install. He did the install with a bunch of other things so not sure what the cost was but he had to run a 15amp (I think??) circuit for it. We literally just plug it in and unplug it. I know you can set up all sorts of rules etc but we haven’t bothered and are super happy.
Was the discount decent?

We are using the supplied granny charger at home. Overnight on the granny is more than adequate for our needs.
Yes, it would be nice to have a home fast charger, but by my calculations it would take 10.7 years to recover the purchase and installation costs by using the off peak tariff rates.
Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Cheers

Surely it's not always about the cost but about the convenience?
Yep, and depends how you’re using the car. We live mainly in regional Vic and are doing about 1200km per week on average and house is ~80km away from the closest fast charger, so use case is vastly different to a metro person. I also like just being able to go home and plug it in and wonder off and do whatever I want.

Was the discount decent?
I’ll try to find the invoice but I think it was about $1300 and my partner reckons the install was $600 (we’re in regional Vic and the board is down the opposite end of the house to where we installed the charger, so not sure what standard metro install would be)

Sorry I was taking about the cost of a 7kw home charger in response to post no.8

Sorry I was taking about the cost of a 7kw home charger in response to post no.8
As stated in my earlier post, the granny charger is more than adequate for our use situation. In fact we charge in 8 hour intervals between 10PM and 6 AM so as not to place a strain on the grid, and find that we only need to do this two or three nights a week. So in our situation, the granny charger is both convenient and suitable and still has reserve capacity if our driving pattern changes.

In suz's case, the granny charger would not be suitable and he/she needs the 7kW home charger or even better the 11kW version if they have three phase power.

All I am pointing out is to check your daily usage and see if the granny charger is sufficient. As a rule of thumb, 8 hours on granny charger will put about 40km of range back into the battery. If that is less than your daily commute then you will need to install a home charger.

As stated in my earlier post, the granny charger is more than adequate for our use situation. In fact we charge in 8 hour intervals between 10PM and 6 AM so as not to place a strain on the grid, and find that we only need to do this two or three nights a week. So in our situation, the granny charger is both convenient and suitable and still has reserve capacity if our driving pattern changes.

In suz's case, the granny charger would not be suitable and he/she needs the 7kW home charger or even better the 11kW version if they have three phase power.

All I am pointing out is to check your daily usage and see if the granny charger is sufficient. As a rule of thumb, 8 hours on granny charger will put about 40km of range back into the battery. If that is less than your daily commute then you will need to install a home charger.
Not throwing shade, just curious how you manage your equalisation charge with the granny?

Contemplated staying with granny, but find her too slow, particularly for pulling from solar hours.

On a side note, We used power from the grid for the first time today, so in all, the 708km we have travelled has cost ~$1.20

Only owned the car for 6 days and currently using the included 1.45kw charging cable which is good enough for my wife's daily commutes.

May look at having a 7kw charging station installed if the slow charging ever becomes a problem.

Not throwing shade, just curious how you manage your equalisation charge with the granny?

Contemplated staying with granny, but find her too slow, particularly for pulling from solar hours.

On a side note, We used power from the grid for the first time today, so in all, the 708km we have travelled has cost ~$1.20
Once a month we do an equalise charge by putting on charge for two days in a row. No problem so far.
If you are using solar to charge then you also need to include what would have been solar exports if not consumed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom