MG ZS EV auto tailgate

Willie

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
IMG_0688.jpg
Finally got round to fitting the tailgate from Aliexpress, routing the cables was not as difficult as I first thought, the worst part was threading the cables through the flexible rubber conduits at the tailgate hinge. I've included some photos of the installationIMG_0688.jpgIMG_0689.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0697.jpgIMG_0698.jpg

The easy rods can in very handy on this job 👍.
Yes, I agree they saved taking some of the panels off completely, I've still to fit the foot sensor after I have studied the installation notes a bit more as they are very vague. I will send some videos of the tailgate working later

Anyone with a disability would possibly require adaptations to be made to their vehicle, including changes much more complex than the auto tailgate. I don’t see why that would necessarily invalidate their warranty.
This is a very good point 👍.
I am sure that one owner has had an electric lifting device ( crane / winch ) fitted in rear of their car ?.
You could say the same for installing a tow bar for a bike carrier I guess ?.
These are removable devices at the end of the day.

Anyone with a disability would possibly require adaptations to be made to their vehicle, including changes much more complex than the auto tailgate. I don’t see why that would necessarily invalidate their warranty.
I doubt they fitted them themselves...

I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and that is the main reason I fitted it. when closing the tailgate manually by the recessed handle it trapped my fingers, after that I shut it by grabbing the tailgate itself ending up with muddy fingers scratching the paintwork.

I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and that is the main reason I fitted it. when closing the tailgate manually by the recessed handle it trapped my fingers, after that I shut it by grabbing the tailgate itself ending up with muddy fingers scratching the paintwork.
Having the electric tailgate will be a huge help for you. I have intermittent issues after a rotator cuff injury, and also tennis elbow. Anything that assists day to day living is most welcome!

Having the electric tailgate will be a huge help for you. I have intermittent issues after a rotator cuff injury, and also tennis elbow. Anything that assists day to day living is most welcome!
I can fully understand that reaching up to pull down on that hatchback, against the pressure of the two gas struts, is not ideal with any shoulder problems or any joint problems.
Especially if you are of a shorter stature, as you have further to reach.
My wife is quite short and had impingement in her shoulder that resulted in surge twice.
She has to stand on her toes to reach the grab pocket on the ZS EV.
Her Fiat 500 is better, because the car has a much lower ride hight, which makes the hatch easier to reach.
Fiat also provide a soft material grab strap that hangs down, when the hatch is opened.
This makes life a lot easier, something like this would be a handy retro refit on the ZS EV.

ISTR someone else fitted some stronger struts (or stronger springs in the struts) to enable the hatch to rise on it's own.
Would stronger struts (springs) also make it harder to pull down ?

ISTR someone else fitted some stronger struts (or stronger springs in the struts) to enable the hatch to rise on it's own.
Would stronger struts (springs) also make it harder to pull down ?
Yes - I believe it would.
Increasing the strength of the gas struts would see the hatch lift more quickly, but would it would take more energy for the person to pull the hatch back down.

Last edited:
I am finding it very hard to upload videos of the operation of the tailgate, every time I try it says the file is to big or it says dose not support the format. any suggestions

I am finding it very hard to upload videos of the operation of the tailgate, every time I try it says the file is to big or it says dose not support the format. any suggestions
Most members upload the videos to YouTube first ( because of this very issue ) and then just attach the link to the YouTube page to the thread on the forum, if that makes sense ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom