• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV charging FAQ

MG ZS EV charging FAQ

This guide mainly applies to the 44kwh 1st generation MG ZS EV
(Can apply to other cars but figures quoted might not be the same, as battery packs & charging rates maybe larger or hopefully not smaller)

Charging categories:

Charging speed can be defined into these three categories:
  • Slow (below 3.6kw)
  • Fast (From 3.7kw upto 22kw)
  • Rapid (over 22kw)
The ZS EV can charge either with AC power or DC power. The MG badge at the front of the car will pulse when charging.

For AC charging you will use the Type 2 (also known as Mennekes) connector.
For DC charging you will use the CCS (officially called SAE Combo 2 but CCS is it’s common name) connector.

Types_of_EV_plugs2.png

Remember – the bigger the connector, the bigger the power!

AC Charging
:

SpeedCurrent (amps)Time to 0% to 100%Approx Miles added per hour based on 3m/kw
1.4kw6Over 32 hours4
2.2kw (UK “granny lead”)10Approx 20 hours6
3.6kw16Approx 12hours10
7kw (Typical home unit/EVSE)32Approx 6.5hours 20
11kw 3 phase16 per phaseApprox 12 hours10
22kw 3 phase32 per phaseApprox 6.5 hours20
44kw 3 phase64 per phaseApprox 6.5 hours20
EMW_plugs_2.jpg

Hang on? How come the 11kw charger takes longer than a 7kw charger and 22kw takes the same time as a 7kw? Well, the ZS EV only has an onboard single phase charger, so the car can’t use the other two phases can’t be used, and 11 divided by 3 is 3.6 & 22 divided by 3 is 7. If you see a 44kw AC outlet, you can still only pull 7kw from it!

The miles per kw (m/kw) is the mpg (miles per gallon) in the EV world. The ZS EV has been seen to achieve up to 5.3m/kw but as low as 1.5m/kw ("drove it like you stole it", with heating on max and very cold outside temperature limiting battery output). This depends on how you drive, if you run the heaters at max and other factors. In summer 3m/kw is achivable in nearly all cases, unless your a boy racer doing more than legal. Winter can affact range due to heater being on and battery need to be heated to get the most out of it. Again 2.5m/kw is achivable in most cases in winter if your not too crazy with speed and heater (not on max but not permanently off). If you drive slow with no heat and it's 20c outside, and going down hill, 5m/kw is achivable. The WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure) range for ZS EV is 163miles, and thats based on 3.7m/kw. My fiesta was sold to me based on 60mpg, did it achive that when doing 70mph down the M4, hell no......

The lowest charge (any EV) can accept is 1.4kw or 6amp. Don’t ask me why, it’s the standard. If you are lucky with solar panels and a zappi EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or Home charger, I’ll be using EVSE from now on, as it’s shorter), but the panels is outputting only 1kw, you can either pause charge (eco+ mode) or pull the 0.4kw difference from the grid (Eco mode) to bring the charge rate to the required 1.4kw minimum.

The onboard charger is rated at 6.6kw, however add heat loss on the cable and mains voltage fluctuations, 7.2kw can seen as the maximum draw from the EVSE. Rounding the number to 7kw is often the norm.
FB_IMG_1613563523472.jpg

Once the car reaches 100%, the car will go into a mode called balancing. The ZS EV battery pack is made up of hundreds of smaller individual battery cells. Best way to describe it, you just filled up your ice cub tray with water from the tap very quickly. Most of the cubes are full (they are the individual battery cells) but a few are not. What you do now is with a very slow trickle from the tap, you top up each of the empty cubes until they are all level and full with each over. You can unplug if you want but it’s best to leave the car to balance if you can, it helps with battery health. When balancing, its using 300-500w of power per each hour. Balancing can take a while, either once the car reaches 8 hours or it’s perfectly balanced it will shut down, whichever is first. A misbalanced battery can take multiple full charges to get back to balance. The ZS EV will warn you if you need to do a balance charge, saying "Please Slow-Charge the Vechicle". Any AC will do this, but make sure you leave it once its got to 100% to do it's balance. How do I know it's balancing when I don't have a fancy smart EVSE, you may ask. Well the MG badge at the front will be solid on (not pulsing) when balancing. Once done, the badge will turn off.

What is the perfect EVSE for you? Click HERE to read another article about it.

Lets move onto…

DC Charging:
EMW_plugs_3.jpg

With DC charging, the charge convertor (inverter) for the battery is located in the unit and not the car. This means faster charging than AC. The ZS EV can accept up to a maximum rate of 80kw. However this charging rate is dictated by many variables: outside temperature, battery temperature, SoC (State of Charge %), Max Kw of DC charger, How many of DC chargers in use and many more.

The fastest speeds are obtained when below 30% SoC with temps around 20c. The charging rates drop off a cliff when over 80%, and its always better to unplug and drive onto the next rapid after 80%. 45mins in ideal conditions should see 0% to 80%, even thou it’s unlikely you will arrive at 0%. It can take same amount of time or more to go from 80% to 100%, that’s why its better to unplug and get to another charger a few miles down the road as you will save time.

The newest BMS update, released around 15th January 2021 has changed the upper and lower limits of the voltage of the battery pack. Early reports is that rate drop off has been moved to 87% from 82%. Once the rate does drop off, the advise of move still stands as it does still take ages to get to 100% still applies, even if the 45mins to 80%-100% maybe less now.

DC Charging does not do balancing, even if it reaches 100%. With the ice cube tray example, think of DC charging is filling up the small tray with a large bucket of water with no handle and no spout (the small lip which makes it easier to pour) while wearing thick, slippery oven gloves. And you not allowed to spill or overflow any of the water over the edges of the tray or cubes. It’s best left to the slower AC charge.

And remember, if it’s a tesla supercharger, it might plug in to your ZS EV but it will not work. Dam you Elon Musk. 2022 edit: There are a select few telsa superchargers in NL that support charging other cars via their app. Its a trial at moment, so watch this space.

More detailed info about rapid charging FAQ & etiquette is located HERE.

Cables – what’s included or not?
20210216_1340262.jpg

Included (for UK EVs) – one 10amp cable with 3-Pin (BS 1363) plug with a type 2 connector on the other end. This is commonly called 13amp charger (13amp peak output is the max the British standard 1363 allows on the plugs and fused at 13amp, however the charger pulls 10amp continuous load) or granny charger (based on the urban myth that all grannies are slow…).

Included (for EU and Costa Rican EVs) – one 10amp cable with schuko plug with a type 2 connector on the other end.

Included (for Australian EVs) – one 10amp? cable with home? plug with a type 2 connector on the other end. [not sure on amps or plugs, Please drop a message below and I’ll correct]

Type 2 cable is NOT included as standard. If you have a nice dealer, they may add it as part of the deal, and occasionally MG can push a deal which in the past included a home EVSE and type 2 cable. Most type 2 EVSE (expect for a tethered home EVSE) you will need to bring your own lead.

You do not need a CCS DC lead – they are attached to the rapid charger. If the lead is missing, the charger is broke, move on.

Buying a type 2 cable
20210216_1343402.jpg

Three Four things that matter for type 2 cable: Length, Amp Rating, Colour and Number of Phases.
  • Length – 5 metre is the common length, but can be anywhere up to 50 metres. 5 metre will cover 98% situations, 10 metre will cover 99.9% situations. If you do go for longer lead – make sure you unravel the cable. Coiled cables produce heat and if the cable gets too hot, bad things will happen.
  • Amp rating – How much power can be carried over the cable. 16amp (3.6kw) or 32amp (7kw) is the choice. Typically a 32amp (7kw) cable will be about £10 more, but will cut charging times in half. Even if your home EVSE is capped at 3.6kw/16amp, don’t skimp on the cable as it can be used at other type 2 chargers which may be able to supply 7kw, especially if they are on ‘free vend’, like at Tesco. You will make back that £10 with just 20 hours of free 7kw charging vs capped 3.6kw/16amp charging (based on 15p per kw).
  • Colour- If you got a blue car, get a blue cable. :ROFLMAO:
  • Number of Phases – The first MG ZS EV has only got a single phase AC charger, therefore getting a three phase cable is pointless for first generation models unless you are either got a second EV with three phase charging or selling your ZS in the next few years. EU spec models and later models sometimes have three phase, so check with dealer first.

Hopefully that answers a few questions. :)

Last edited:
MG ZS EV charging FAQ
Thanks for a really clear explanation.

In local terms:

Home - Granny charger 2.2kW or Ohme charger 7kW
My local ASDA has 16 amp 3.6kW free chargers (now BPPulse).
My local Tescos has 22kW pod-point free charger, but as you explains effectively it is 7kWs.
My local Lidl has a rapid charger pod-point paid for CCS 50kW
My local KFC has a rapid charger instavolt paid for CCS 50kW

I ordered my cabled before I got the car and ended up with a three phase one. It takes a bit more wrangling than a single phase, but I am future proofed.

MG ZS EV charging FAQ
(Can apply to other cars but figures quoted might not be the same, as battery packs & charging rates maybe larger or hopefully not smaller)

Charging categories:

Charging speed can be defined into these three categories:
  • Slow (below 3.6kw)
  • Fast (From 3.7kw upto 22kw)
  • Rapid (over 22kw)
The ZS EV can charge either with AC power or DC power. The MG badge at the front of the car will pulse when charging.

For AC charging you will use the Type 2 (also known as Mennekes) connector.
For DC charging you will use the CCS (officially called SAE Combo 2 but CCS is it’s common name) connector.

View attachment 1541
Remember – the bigger the connector, the bigger the power!

AC Charging
:

SpeedCurrent (amps)Time to 0% to 100%Approx Miles added per hour based on 3m/kw
1.4kw6Over 32 hours4
2.2kw (UK “granny lead”)10Approx 20 hours6
3.6kw16Approx 12hours10
7kw (Typical home unit/EVSE)32Approx 6.5hours 20
11kw 3 phase16 per phaseApprox 12 hours10
22kw 3 phase32 per phaseApprox 6.5 hours20
44kw 3 phase64 per phaseApprox 6.5 hours20
View attachment 1544
Hang on? How come the 11kw charger takes longer than a 7kw charger and 22kw takes the same time as a 7kw? Well, the ZS EV only has an onboard single phase charger, so the car can’t use the other two phases can’t be used, and 11 divided by 3 is 3.6 & 22 divided by 3 is 7. If you see a 44kw AC outlet, you can still only pull 7kw from it!

The miles per kw (m/kw) is the mpg (miles per gallon) in the EV world. The ZS EV has been seen to achieve up to 5.3m/kw but as low as 1.5m/kw ("drove it like you stole it", with heating on max and very cold outside temperature limiting battery output). This depends on how you drive, if you run the heaters at max and other factors. In summer 3m/kw is achivable in nearly all cases, unless your a boy racer doing more than legal. Winter can affact range due to heater being on and battery need to be heated to get the most out of it. Again 2.5m/kw is achivable in most cases in winter if your not too crazy with speed and heater (not on max but not permanently off). If you drive slow with no heat and it's 20c outside, and going down hill, 5m/kw is achivable. The WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure) range for ZS EV is 163miles, and thats based on 3.7m/kw. My fiesta was sold to me based on 60mpg, did it achive that when doing 70mph down the M4, hell no......

The lowest charge (any EV) can accept is 1.4kw or 6amp. Don’t ask me why, it’s the standard. If you are lucky with solar panels and a zappi EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or Home charger, I’ll be using EVSE from now on, as it’s shorter), but the panels is outputting only 1kw, you can either pause charge (eco+ mode) or pull the 0.4kw difference from the grid (Eco mode) to bring the charge rate to the required 1.4kw minimum.

The onboard charger is rated at 6.6kw, however add heat loss on the cable and mains voltage fluctuations, 7.2kw can seen as the maximum draw from the EVSE. Rounding the number to 7kw is often the norm.View attachment 1552

Once the car reaches 100%, the car will go into a mode called balancing. The ZS EV battery pack is made up of hundreds of smaller individual battery cells. Best way to describe it, you just filled up your ice cub tray with water from the tap very quickly. Most of the cubes are full (they are the individual battery cells) but a few are not. What you do now is with a very slow trickle from the tap, you top up each of the empty cubes until they are all level and full with each over. You can unplug if you want but it’s best to leave the car to balance if you can, it helps with battery health. When balancing, its using 300-500w of power per each hour. Balancing can take a while, either once the car reaches 8 hours or it’s perfectly balanced it will shut down, whichever is first. A misbalanced battery can take multiple full charges to get back to balance. The ZS EV will warn you if you need to do a balance charge, saying "Please Slow-Charge the Vechicle". Any AC will do this, but make sure you leave it once its got to 100% to do it's balance. How do I know it's balancing when I don't have a fancy smart EVSE, you may ask. Well the MG badge at the front will be solid on (not pulsing) when balancing. Once done, the badge will turn off.

What is the perfect EVSE for you? Click HERE to read another article about it.

Lets move onto…

DC Charging: View attachment 1546

With DC charging, the charge convertor (inverter) for the battery is located in the unit and not the car. This means faster charging than AC. The ZS EV can accept up to a maximum rate of 80kw. However this charging rate is dictated by many variables: outside temperature, battery temperature, SoC (State of Charge %), Max Kw of DC charger, How many of DC chargers in use and many more.

The fastest speeds are obtained when below 30% SoC with temps around 20c. The charging rates drop off a cliff when over 80%, and its always better to unplug and drive onto the next rapid after 80%. 45mins in ideal conditions should see 0% to 80%, even thou it’s unlikely you will arrive at 0%. It can take same amount of time or more to go from 80% to 100%, that’s why its better to unplug and get to another charger a few miles down the road as you will save time.

DC Charging does not do balancing, even if it reaches 100%. With the ice cube tray example, think of DC charging is filling up the small tray with a large bucket of water with no handle and no spout (the small lip which makes it easier to pour) while wearing thick, slippery oven gloves. And you not allowed to spill or overflow any of the water over the edges of the tray or cubes. It’s best left to the slower AC charge.

And remember, if it’s a tesla supercharger, it might plug in to your ZS EV but it will not work. Dam you Elon Musk.

More info about rapid charging & etiquette is located HERE. [Placeholder for now, but someone is working on it]

Cables – what’s included or not?View attachment 1547

Included (for UK EVs) – one 10amp cable with 3-Pin (BS 1363) plug with a type 2 connector on the other end. This is commonly called 13amp charger (13amp peak output is the max the British standard 1363 allows on the plugs and fused at 13amp, however the charger pulls 10amp continuous load) or granny charger (based on the urban myth that all grannies are slow…).

Included (for EU EVs) – one 10amp? cable with schuko plug with a type 2 connector on the other end. [not sure on amps, Please drop a message below and I’ll correct]

Included (for Australian EVs) – one 10amp? cable with home? plug with a type 2 connector on the other end. [not sure on amps or plugs, Please drop a message below and I’ll correct]

Type 2 cable is NOT included as standard. If you have a nice dealer, they may add it as part of the deal, and occasionally MG can push a deal which in the past included a home EVSE and type 2 cable. Most type 2 EVSE (expect for a tethered home EVSE) you will need to bring your own lead.

You do not need a CCS DC lead – they are attached to the rapid charger. If the lead is missing, the charger is broke, move on.

Buying a type 2 cable View attachment 1548

Three Four things that matter for type 2 cable: Length, Amp Rating, Colour and Number of Phases.
  • Length – 5 metre is the common length, but can be anywhere up to 50 metres. 5 metre will cover 98% situations, 10 metre will cover 99.9% situations. If you do go for longer lead – make sure you unravel the cable. Coiled cables produce heat and if the cable gets too hot, bad things will happen.
  • Amp rating – How much power can be carried over the cable. 16amp (3.6kw) or 32amp (7kw) is the choice. Typically a 32amp (7kw) cable will be about £10 more, but will cut charging times in half. Even if your home EVSE is capped at 3.6kw/16amp, don’t skimp on the cable as it can be used at other type 2 chargers which may be able to supply 7kw, especially if they are on ‘free vend’, like at Tesco. You will make back that £10 with just 20 hours of free 7kw charging vs capped 3.6kw/16amp charging (based on 15p per kw).
  • Colour- If you got a blue car, get a blue cable. :ROFLMAO:
  • Number of Phases – The MG ZS EV has only got a single phase AC charger, therefore getting a three phase cable is pointless unless you are either got a second EV with three phase charging or selling your ZS in the next few years.

Hopefully that answers a few questions. :)
Great piece of work.
Extremely detailed, well done !

yes - good work. Now you can write the BMS faq......🤪

I think so too apart from the fact that the MG 5 has a bigger battery so will take slightly longer to go from 0 to 100%. I dont think the onboard charging speed is any diff.

onboard charger is the same for the MG5, but battery size is larger and times will be off. The WLTP range is different and rapid 0%-80% is longer. Also the warning message for balancing not going to be the same as above. It's basically 99% done, ctrl + c, ctrl + p and edit the bits. ;-)
The DC rapid guide is going to be longer.... :oops:

What's the optimal point at which you should recharge? Does it matter, or will constant 'top-ups' (from, say, about 60-70%) affect the battery?

will 22kw balance the battery? In other words, is using 22kw charger effectively the same as using a 7kw charger? Also, an mg dealer told me I can only charge the car up to 80% with a 22kw charger and then charging will stop. Is that correct? I am surprised this information is not available from MG. I emailed and asked them, got no response. ( I am asking for the new 2021 MG ZS with 72 kWh )

Last edited:
will 22kw balance the battery? In other words, is using 22kw charger effectively the same as using a 22kw charger?
22 is the same as 22. :LOL:
I guess you mean is it the same as using a 7kW, it is because the onboard car charger will limit the charge to 7kW on AC.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom