Batman

Standard Member
Reaction score
My 3 week old MG ZS EV has been fine until the weekend. For the first time the remaining charge dropped to 10% and we got the charge warning as you would expect. Previously I have plugged into the charger no problem, next morning fully charged. But now it starts charging and drops out again after 1 or 2 seconds.
Is this a common problem with the ZS EV. It went the dealer today for a software update but I am charging it tonight and have the exact same issue.
Any suggestions?

I have heard on this forum that some whom have had software issues have had them corrected by disconnecting the 12v battery and then reconnecting; I suppose it’s like a reboot..but personally I’ve had mine since March, travelled over 10000 miles and never had any such issues.
I would suggest you use the free AA membership and call them initially to see if they have come across this and if not worst case scenario they will get the car back to a main dealer for you.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you’re having issues.

some things to try:
Check that the connector contact are all nice, clean and dry. Check that the connector is sat well in (unlikely but possible).

sit in the unlocked car and watch the status messages as you get someone go through connection and starting charge. in case they give any clue. You could also try turning on the car to see what indicators you get (connected/charging on the dial).

I doubt the AA will be able to do much to help apart from getting you to the dealers if it really won’t charge

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Called the garage this morning and they make you feel like you don't know how to charge the car!
AA called and arrived within 15mins, hire organised whilst garage has second attempt to repair the MG.
Fingers crossed as we love driving the car.

Upvote 0
Have a look in your owners book or if not call your dealer as I thought it was across all MG’s as standard..., also I believe you get a free year’s extension when serviced too with MG.
Can anyone else add to this conversation, have I got this wrong, is it MG or just my local Glynn Hopkins dealership offering this package?.

Upvote 0
Have a look in your owners book or if not call your dealer as I thought it was across all MG’s as standard..., also I believe you get a free year’s extension when serviced too with MG.
Can anyone else add to this conversation, have I got this wrong, is it MG or just my local Glynn Hopkins dealership offering this package?.
Definitely 1 years free AA cover when you purchase the ZS EV, but I'm not sure about the additional year if you take out a service plan

Upvote 0
Definitely 1 years free AA cover when you purchase the ZS EV, but I'm not sure about the additional year if you take out a service plan
No I don’t think it’s a service plan as much, but when serviced at 12 months or 15000 miles I believe you get another years membership

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Update on my charging issue with MG.
Car went to garage and they used my granny charger to car MG all okay!
Therefore came back with car and tried again, same problem!!
I therefore thought reset house electrics so turned of power to house and turned on again after 2 seconds. Tried to charge car again, all okay!!!
It would appear that as I had had a power circuit trip due faulty shower it left an imbalance in my electrical system that only the MG could detect.
Anyway all good now.

Upvote 0
As for the AA membership yes 12 months initially and if you take out the service plan(mine is 3 years) then you are covered by the AA for the full 3 years
I think you're covered without a service plan, as long as you have it serviced at an MG dealer, each service extends the AA cover for another 12 months.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom