• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Granny charger only charging at 1.5kW

kaush

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi guys,

I have been noticing that my home charging using the provided MG ZS EV car charger, only charges with ~1.5kW all the time. Even the SOC is like 50% it does not consume like ~2.3kW that it should be capable of. Any ideas why?

Cheers.
Kay

How much does it pull on a 7kW EVSE?
Could you try the 'granny' on a friend's car or take it back to your dealer and try it on their car?

I believe it has some safety stuff built in as it monitors the cpc as well you could have a small earth problem on your ring? Have you got different socket to try on different ring ie upstairs or kitchen maybe?
Or maybe your using a extension lead not thick enough for the run you really need 3x 2.5 mm min if using lead
One more thing is you may need to check supply voltage it not always the desired amount

Last edited:
Hey guys, Thanks. I am charging it using my 10A wall outlet in the garage. I have tried it in one more place, but also it was quite slow. I will try one more place to be sure it is not inlet related issue.
How much does it pull on a 7kW EVSE?
Could you try the 'granny' on a friend's car or take it back to your dealer and try it on their car?
I have tried rapid chargers like 22kW and 50kW. I havent noticed this issue. So I am inclined to think this is a charger related problem. Unfortunately I dont have another charger to try it out.

I believe it has some safety stuff built in as it monitors the cpc as well you could have a small earth problem on your ring? Have you got different socket to try on different ring ie upstairs or kitchen maybe?
Or maybe your using a extension lead not thick enough for the run you really need 3x 2.5 mm min if using lead
One more thing is you may need to check supply voltage it not always the desired amount
This is from my wall socket in the garage. I have tried one more home but the result was same. I will try another place just to be sure. Also I can try different socket with a thick extension. Will update my findings.

Hey guys, Thanks. I am charging it using my 10A wall outlet in the garage. I have tried it in one more place, but also it was quite slow. I will try one more place to be sure it is not inlet related issue.

I have tried rapid chargers like 22kW and 50kW. I havent noticed this issue. So I am inclined to think this is a charger related problem. Unfortunately I dont have another charger to try it out.
What's the constant draw rating of a 10 amp socket over there
Here in the UK a 13amp socket is only rated at 10amps constant
You granny may be set up for safety for your country ?

What's the constant draw rating of a 10 amp socket over there
Here in the UK a 13amp socket is only rated at 10amps constant
You granny may be set up for safety for your country ?
hmm interesting. As far as I know here its a 10A circuit with 10A MCBs. The granny charger labels says rated current as 8A. I have written to my MG dealer, lets see what he says.

It does sound like something is causing it to drop down to a 6A "safe mode".
Realistically, home electrics are not designed for multi-hour 10A draw. Relying on the granny charger as your main charger is going to be frustrating and potentially dangerous. I strongly recommend investing in a 7kWh dedicated charger.

+1 on that suggestion.

Granny charger is only really an occasional use type thing.

Invest in a 7kw charger.

I’m in Australia also and can only charge at 1.5kw with the granny charger, the power point I’m using can actually deliver up to 15 amps (240v) constantly so that really isn’t the issue, I guess maybe it is the MG granny chargers in Aus are only 8amp as said? I only picked my car up 3 days ago so its the only charger I have until the 7kw charger is installed in a couple of weeks. BTW I got the X power and it really does seem chew through the power when driven hard, I would be lucky to be getting 260-300k range, my nearest town is 120km round trip on winding country roads, so two return trips and its done... but it is great fun drive in the MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom