• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Sat nav

ging353

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Does the MG ZS EV built in satnav have an audio as well as a visual function? I have looked in the Owners Manual but can't find anything about it.
If it does, how do you get it working?.

Does the MG ZS EV built in satnav have an audio as well as a visual function? I have looked in the Owners Manual but can't find anything about it.
I Seem to remember there being a slider in the sat nav settings to turn the audio on/ off. But it definitely does have audio, car not here now for me to check.

Many thanks Chestnut 2000 and Bogrole. I'll have a better look and see if I can find it. I've been looking at the Manual but I am still no wiser. Not the best of Owners Manuals, is it.

Many thanks Chestnut 2000 and Bogrole. I'll have a better look and see if I can find it. I've been looking at the Manual but I am still no wiser. Not the best of Owners Manuals, is it.
TBH the onboard Nav is painful anyway, far better off With Android Auto or Apple carplay

You may have the audio for the satnav turned down. Try and get it to speak and turn the volume up once it's speaking - the satnav volume is independent of music volume. Alternatively, turn the verbal speed warning on as that usually 'speaks' more regularly and might be easier to adjust. Whilst the system isn't the best I've used, it's more than adequate once you get used to it.

I’m going to be controversial here and say i think the built in satnav is ok. It’s not fantastic but if you persevere it’s ok. I’ve had worse. the reactiveness of the screen doesn’t help but with a bit of patience once you get around it, it’s ok. Yes using Apple CarPlay and one of the other navigation options is a lot more responsive and can be a nicer overall experience - but the good old MG satnav (its TomTom based) is not totally crap.

I’m going to be controversial here and say i think the built in satnav is ok. It’s not fantastic but if you persevere it’s ok. I’ve had worse. the reactiveness of the screen doesn’t help but with a bit of patience once you get around it, it’s ok. Yes using Apple CarPlay and one of the other navigation options is a lot more responsive and can be a nicer overall experience - but the good old MG satnav (its TomTom based) is not totally crap.
I agree the SatNav is ok, although TBH the touch keyboard is sluggish, and I have far more issues with AndroidAuto which is not fit for purpose since not all android phones are compatible, AKA my Huawei. Changing to a recently released Samsung A72 and an A52 both very were flaky and there's no compatible driver to make Contacts and Call History load on the Head Unit. Then further AndroidAuto issue with the fact that the Android OS, by design, shuts off the USB port unexpectedly when the phone is fully charged causing AndroidAuto disconnect. Quite dangerous an hour or so into your journey when you are on the M1 and you lose your Google maps with the route off the M1 to your charging stop! Of course, some cars, but not the MG have wireless AndroidAuto, which side-step this since you don't have to have the phone tethered to the car's USB and charging to use it. Yes, I could get an iPhone and use CarPlay since iPhone doesn't shut off the data connection when fully charged but I, unfortunately, don't like iPhones. There are various dongle workarounds coming to market which will plug into the car's USB and allow compatible phones to wirelessly connect but after the track record with incompatible Huawei and Samsung phones, I'm going to stick with the Integrated Infotainment System and its SatNav which once the destination is set does an excellent job.

I agree the SatNav is ok, although TBH the touch keyboard is sluggish, and I have far more issues with AndroidAuto which is not fit for purpose since not all android phones are compatible, AKA my Huawei. Changing to a recently released Samsung A72 and an A52 both very were flaky and there's no compatible driver to make Contacts and Call History load on the Head Unit. Then further AndroidAuto issue with the fact that the Android OS, by design, shuts off the USB port unexpectedly when the phone is fully charged causing AndroidAuto disconnect. Quite dangerous an hour or so into your journey when you are on the M1 and you lose your Google maps with the route off the M1 to your charging stop! Of course, some cars, but not the MG have wireless AndroidAuto, which side-step this since you don't have to have the phone tethered to the car's USB and charging to use it. Yes, I could get an iPhone and use CarPlay since iPhone doesn't shut off the data connection when fully charged but I, unfortunately, don't like iPhones. There are various dongle workarounds coming to market which will plug into the car's USB and allow compatible phones to wirelessly connect but after the track record with incompatible Huawei and Samsung phones, I'm going to stick with the Integrated Infotainment System and its SatNav which once the destination is set does an excellent job.
I do not like the location of the built in SatNav. This applies to many cars that use that location, not just the MG. Therefore I do not use Android Auto either.
Nice simple phone holder bottom right of windscreen, perfect. No need to take eyes off the road.

NB. Andoid Auto is going as an entity in it own right and becoming part of Google Maps, supposedly with Android 12. However my cheapo Moto G9 is on Android 11 and appears to be working this way now, connects instantly in 'driving mode'

I don't use the car sat nav. Use my phone with android auto maps much easter to use and more accurate.

I've used the sat nav only twice since I bought the car. It was a pain to type in the destination, but once I got used to the delay while typing it was fine. Once in use, I found it just as functional as my tomtom I have in the old Honda. Google maps isn't always great about showing the best route. I've seen quite a few suggested routes that leave me scratching my head while using google for sure.

I've used the sat nav only twice since I bought the car. It was a pain to type in the destination, but once I got used to the delay while typing it was fine. Once in use, I found it just as functional as my tomtom I have in the old Honda. Google maps isn't always great about showing the best route. I've seen quite a few suggested routes that leave me scratching my head while using google for sure.
Yep agreed, G Maps always shows the quickest (time) for a journey. I'm sure sometime in the past that it used to offer a choice between quickest and shortest but I cannot find that option anywhere. Maybe I am thinking of other SatNav software. Mind you the shortest option did take you through some incredible back street detours :)
G Maps does give very good live traffic updates though and suggested re-routes if it sees trouble ahead which is why I use it.

Once you get your head around the Sat Nov in the ZS it's okay. Yes, it's sluggish and does not have live traffic updates, but as another post mentioned, once the destination is locked in, it's fairly good at getting you there and you don't have to use any mobile data. Yes, it could be slicker, but I've seen worse.

[...] However my cheapo Moto G9 is on Android 11 and appears to be working this way now, connects instantly in 'driving mode'
Off-topic: Interesting! My cheapo Moto G9 plus (XT2087-2) is still on Android 10. Did you do anything special to get it to upgrade to 11?

There is a volume control in the Sat Nav settings. A couple of screen punches get you there, but not good if you are driving..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom