• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Timed charging

MikeR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - apologies if I've missed anything on the forum but it seems a major oversight by MG not to allow timed charging or, in fact, any kind of charging other than when the car is first plugged in. E.g. overnight cheap rate or from the smart features of the Zappi which can provide specified boosts or direct surplus PV output to the car rather than the grid. Is anyone aware of a potential software update to allow this? I guess the former could be overcome by getting up at 1am and unlocking and re-locking the car to initiate charging but that would soon become a pain and doesn't help the latter. Grateful for any insight. Thanks.

This is great news, do you have a link? We have one ordered for Feb/March.

Yeay! Software updated and delayed/timed charging now seems to work. The dealer said there was another update that was done at the same time but no-one seems to be able to point me to any release notes that specify exactly what is in each update! If anyone from MG is listening, there seem to be frequent updates and it would be good to know whether it is worth getting the update installed in advance of the next service to get any new features. Also, is there any likelihood of an app with which we can pre-heat the car and remotely check charge status?

Hmmm - I might have spoken too soon. Whilst the car accepted a charge which was initiated around an hour after being locked yesterday, it did not wake up and accept a timed charge overnight and won't this morning :unsure:. Some investigation needed.

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on Mike, my update is scheduled for a couple of weeks time.
Out of interest, did the dealer show you how to work the timed charging? My dealer didn't even know that the update did this until I asked him to quote me the MG briefing note on it!

I set two deferred charges today and both worked. Another set for overnight tonight so hopefully that will too. The update should allow the car to wake up to accept the deferred charge whereas previously it could only start at the time it was plugged in and locked so was no good for night rate unless you were around at 1am to unlock and re-lock it to initiate the charge. I didn't ask about on-board timing because I use the timer on my Zappi charger (hence the car having to wake up and accept the charge) and also its ability to direct any surplus from my PV to the car rather than to the grid. Not sure whether the car has a timer facility from the new update or not.

? overnight charge did not initiate - seems related to the length of time between locking and the timed charge starting - an hour or two works but any longer and the car doesn't wake up. Anyone else still struggling despite software update? Does MG have a tech support helpline?

Mike - there is a general enquiries number 020 3917 5821
They should be able to point you in the right direction?
It's not your charging point going to sleep, is it?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom