• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG3 experiences

Marky Mark

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
My son has just passed his driving test and is looking to trade in his old car for something newer.
We have been looking at the MG3 and it looks good value, however we have also looked at the reviews and the ratings don't look to good as they are ranging from 2 stars to 4/10.
Can anyone shed any light on why the ratings are so low and could anyone share their experience of owning the MG3 please?
Thanks
Mark

Hi all
My son has just passed his driving test and is looking to trade in his old car for something newer.
We have been looking at the MG3 and it looks good value, however we have also looked at the reviews and the ratings don't look to good as they are ranging from 2 stars to 4/10.
Can anyone shed any light on why the ratings are so low and could anyone share their experience of owning the MG3 please?
Thanks
Mark
Is that based on owner reviews or press / journalist reviews?
In my experience, the latter often look down on anything that’s not German. Owner reviews for MG are generally quite positive. Note this is an EV forum, so might not provide the owner insights you’re after.

Mg 3 are good cars I had two before now have mg5 now I enjoyed the mg3 and a first car after passing not a bad one to have i say go and have a test drive in one so you can decide 😉

It is just press/journalists tbh......Ah I see...I am on here as I am due to take delivery of MG5 EV.....Thanks
I previously had a MG3, it was a good little car, however the engine was quite dated and certainly not the most economical car in the world, I traded the MG3 for a MGZS, so much better and then a year ago traded that for a MG5 excite, really no comparison absolutely love it, so much so I’m now looking forward to taking delivery of the new facelift model the end of the year (hopefully)
seems like I have a bit of a problem doesn’t it, a serial MG buyer !!
As with most brands there will be some issues and when you read articles in this forum MG is no exception, however, looking at the bigger picture and in my considered opinion MG cars are fantastic value and the new generation cars are particularly good.
I’m sure you will enjoy your MG5, it’s worth the wait.

Last edited:
My mg3 was a disaster2015 model 25.000 miles renew battery starter motor clutch now engine cylinder valve when I couldn’t start the engine
compression with valves clutch over Valves etc 1700£
my rating o/10

My mg3 was a disaster2015 model 25.000 miles renew battery starter motor clutch now engine cylinder valve when I couldn’t start the engine
compression with valves clutch over Valves etc 1700£
my rating o/10
Thankfully MG have come a long way since then,

I have been accused of giving the MG TF a kicking recently 🤣. Well, whilst I felt I did treat that car harshly, only cause it was my impression from the 90’s (and dare I say a little snob value for my beloved Z3 (2.8 mind you) ), I really never did own or drive one. I did say this at the time, but that little nuance was dismissed.

However, I have the greatest mispleasure in the whole wide world to ‘origami’ mesell into an MG3 today. Oh….My …..God!!!

What a horrible little bag of spanner’s!

Gutless, high clutch, cramped, smelly (nowt to do with MG, but it was a curtesy car P.O.S, and could be used by many unforgiving characters, should I be one to judge.

this car just screamed at me! And I am not generally a manic boy racer, I am not!

I like to drive a car, My Zed gives me a thrill every now and then when I want to get in and blow its nose. But my day job is a limp-dick Toyota C-HR which has been one if the slowest (yet loudest) cars I have ever owned. But it is comfortable, cheap to run, and nice looking (well in my eyes, generally this aspect is subjective).

Now speaking of which the MG3 is NOT ugly….But oh my God, what a P.O.S to drive!

Leave this one well alone people…..wait till they re-do the car into a made upo from the MSP MG3 Facelift 👍

I have been accused of giving the MG TF a kicking recently 🤣. Well, whilst I felt I did treat that car harshly, only cause it was my impression from the 90’s (and dare I say a little snob value for my beloved Z3 (2.8 mind you) ), I really never did own or drive one. I did say this at the time, but that little nuance was dismissed.

However, I have the greatest mispleasure in the whole wide world to ‘origami’ mesell into an MG3 today. Oh….My …..God!!!

What a horrible little bag of spanner’s!
Or of course get yourself a lovely MG4 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the date I hope to god you didn't make the wrong decision.

I recently had the displeasure of driving an MG3 as a 'courtesy' car. I was instantly impelled to record my views on this experience. It is technically a car.. but it certainly stretches this definition.

It is incredible to think that in this modern day an engine could produce so little movement out of so much noise

The engine sounds like it was cast out of aluminium cans and there is exactly zero attenuation between the whiny little engine and the cabin.

Further down the line there is little relief, I feel sorry for what I believe is a small distressed cow trapped inside the tailpipe, desperate to escape.

Ride quality can only be described as being forcefully ejected out of a nightclub by 2 bouncers. I haven't looked at what is connecting the knuckle to the strut towers but I would expect to find a steel rod with a couple of sponges wedged in place.

Drive by wire has been taken quite literally with the underpaid elves inside desperately trying to relay instructions between the right pedal and the front wheels by what I can only assume is Morse code.

The interior is spacious however, the unfortunate result of this is it gives additional space to 'appreciate' the stupor inducing design, lovingly filled with crudely crafted injection moulded plastic.

Overall I am genuinely impressed with how bad this vehicle is.. and my deepest condolences for anyone who spent their money on this 'car'.

Last edited:
Judging by the date I hope to god you didn't make the wrong decision.

I recently had the displeasure of driving an MG3 as a 'courtesy' car. I was instantly impelled to record my views on this experience. It is technically a car.. but it certainly stretches this definition.

It is incredible to think that in this modern day an engine could produce so little movement out of so much noise

The engine sounds like it was cast out of aluminium cans and there is exactly zero attenuation between the whiny little engine and the cabin.

Further down the line there is little relief, I feel sorry for what I believe is a small distressed cow trapped inside the tailpipe, desperate to escape.

Ride quality can only be described as being forcefully ejected out of a nightclub by 2 bouncers. I haven't looked at what is connecting the knuckle to the strut towers but I would expect to find a steel rod with a couple of sponges wedged in place.

Drive by wire has been taken quite literally with the underpaid elves inside desperately trying to relay instructions between the steering wheel and the front wheels by what I can only assume is Morse code.

The interior is spacious however, the unfortunate result of this is it gives additional space to 'appreciate' the stupor inducing design, lovingly filled with crudely crafted injection moulded plastic.

Overall I am genuinely impressed with how bad this vehicle is.. and my deepest condolences for anyone who spent their money on this 'car'.
I had exactly the same experience, a new MG3 as a courtesy car, if anything DANC is being kind to the oblect :( horrible.

The MG3 from all accounts around here in OZ is cheap but not that cheerful. One previous owner said he had to get rid of it because the drivers seat gave him back problems. But another said his daughter bought one and loved it but maybe she'd never driven anything else.

A motoring reviewer from Sydney said while testing the MG4 that the previous MG offerings from SAIC had a driving experience that ranged from "Below average to positively woeful" but then was over the moon with the MG4. He said it was like someone had flicked a switch into another dimension.

I had one a few years back and ended up with problems getting it into 5th gear where it was possible to get the lever into the 5th position and either get 3rd or completely miss the gear completely.

Even had the gearbox replaced and it happened again.

Then I managed to do that on a courtesy car last year, Now it could be the way I change gear and the original garage did suggest it was me, but that said I've never had such as problem in any other car so I expect the gear linkage is just made of cheese.

OTOH!

Just to present the "opposite" view...

My wife is currently on her 2nd MG3 and absolutely loves it!

However, her first one was, shall we say, "something of a challenge". In rather less than 5 years (so it was the MK1 version) it needed a new radiator and clutch, both done under warranty.

The current one, MK2, much better; she's just coming up to 12 months ownership and no problems.

Test drove a brand new one about 6 years ago. I bought a diesel Kia Rio instead - afraid at that time the Kia was more polished and offered the diesel for economy that the 3 couldn’t match.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom