• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 - ABRP / OBD - Query

Taq

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I’ve been using zap map for long trips to date but ABRP seems to have come on a lot since I last tried it and also has the ability to use live vehicle data.

Do any MG4 owners currently use ABRP with a OBD dongle to obtain this data?

If so;
  • How are you finding this?
  • Is it much better than simply planning stops in advance ?
  • How reliable is it (is the dongle stable)?
  • Have you encountered any issues with the vehicle as a result?
    (I tried one a few years ago on one of my previous cars and got a bit spooked when it seemed to kill the ECU for a few minutes, so its not been out of the box since)
  • Are you seeing any other benefits in using live data
    i.e. does it pre warn you if your planned charge stop is occupied as you get close and look for alternatIves.

May I suggest using the search button on the forum. Entering the words... ABRP dongle ...will produce some results for you.

May I suggest using the search button on the forum. Entering the words... ABRP dongle ...will produce some results for you.
Out of interest I tried that ... restricting search to this board (MG4) the only results were this thread.

Will results from other boards apply to the MG4?

Out of interest I tried that ... restricting search to this board (MG4) the only results were this thread.

Will results from other boards apply to the MG4?
The question you had was about ABRP and the dongle. You will find information that is useful regardless of car to enable you to make a decision as to whether it is worth pursuing. Once that is established then you can find out if it is suitable for the MG4. Is the MG4 on the ABRP list of cars ?

There may be others on here that can help specifically with the MG4.

Personally I wouldn't bother, I haven't heard of any great success using it, certainly nothing comparable with Tesla which is what it is trying to emulate.

If you have the time watch this (it is long), but he does try to use ABRP with connection to plan his stops....dismally.

Yes the MG4 is listed in ABRP as of a couple of weeks ago, I was more interested in users experience of it (the good and bad) specifically with the MG4 rather than a how to guide. Given the number of ppl requesting the MG4 adding to the app I’m guessing there must be a few using it out there.

Maybe so, would be good to know before making the decision about pulling off your route to charge if all the chargers you were heading for were occupied, recently flagged out of order in advance of getting there though

The question you had was about ABRP and the dongle. You will find information that is useful regardless of car to enable you to make a decision as to whether it is worth pursuing. Once that is established then you can find out if it is suitable for the MG4. Is the MG4 on the ABRP list of cars ?

There may be others on here that can help specifically with the MG4.

Personally I wouldn't bother, I haven't heard of any great success using it, certainly nothing comparable with Tesla which is what it is trying to emulate.

If you have the time watch this (it is long), but he does try to use ABRP with connection to plan his stops....dismally.

I watch this episode .. he used ABRP but didn't actually connect OBD dongle with ABRP ...

I used ABRP together with OBD for my e-golf .. and works great .. always within 3% different when arriving at destination or charger .. and it's with different kind situation .. cold temp, strong wind, climbing road, etc ..

I got the vLinker MC+ OBD2 dongle now and no issues experienced with the car.
This model should power save when stopped then turn on again with the car. My older dongle couldn’t auto power on with the MG4.

ABRP are still updating the MG4 LR/Trophy profiles (as SOC % was 3-4% off due to the maths) CORRECTION this appears fixed now. See screenshot from today.

Connection is stable and reports fast yet this is more down to your choice in dongle. Not the car. Cheap eBay ones should be avoided.

It can’t help know if a charger is busy or offline - it only sends car data to the app.
Yet it allows accurate numbers for range/usage estimates as knows what the car has left in real time, power draw and real world average consumption by you. After taking the pic I’ve reset the consumption in ABRP to start an accurate measure.

Limited yet essential values for range calc are live - SoC %, distance, voltage, power draw and elevation. Hopefully more too follow.

Attachments

• B0FDD900-B92B-48E1-8E3A-85598F9680DD.jpeg
    B0FDD900-B92B-48E1-8E3A-85598F9680DD.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I got the vLinker MC+ OBD2 dongle now and no issues experienced with the car.
This model should power save when stopped then turn on again with the car. My older dongle couldn’t auto power on with the MG4.

ABRP are still updating the MG4 LR/Trophy profiles (as SOC % was 3-4% off due to the maths) CORRECTION this appears fixed now. See screenshot from today.

Connection is stable and reports fast yet this is more down to your choice in dongle. Not the car. Cheap eBay ones should be avoided.

It can’t help know if a charger is busy or offline - it only sends car data to the app.
Yet it allows accurate numbers for range/usage estimates as knows what the car has left in real time, power draw and real world average consumption by you. After taking the pic I’ve reset the consumption in ABRP to start an accurate measure.

Limited yet essential values for range calc are live - SoC %, distance, voltage, power draw and elevation. Hopefully more too follow.
Depending if the charger shared the information or not, ABRP would know which charger is offline / busy / free.. It even have statistics information about how busy a charger is at a given time..

Hi there! I don't suppose anyone has any real world experiences to report back on? How well the OBD is working and whether or not there have been any updates etc?

Last edited:
Hi there! I don't suppose has any real word experiences to report back on? How well the OBD is working and whether or not there have been any updates etc?
Hi .. ABRP + OBD is working really well for MG4 .. I already using to plan my entire spring vacation road trip last month .. it's prediction was spot on (a bit on the convervative side but that's fine) ... the only thing is that we need to remove the dongle before we lock the car or it might trip the security system and the alarm will go off ..

I think it's useful to have a new conversation if people are interested, and all this "go away and search the forum" is off-putting and judgemental. (It's one of the things that made the old Duolingo forum so insufferable.) If nobody is interested the thread will simply die, no harm done, but in fact look at all the replies already.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back