MG4 Detailing Thread - Other Models/Marques welcome!

Deleted member 9692

Reaction score
There is much discussion on washing/detailing on the site but not a single specific detailing thread I could find. This thread is for the obsessive (and not quite so obsessive) detailers. Share your tips, tricks, photos.

Discussion of automatic car washes in a positive light will be treated with polite indifference and perhaps a strong tut as they are clearly the work of the devil.

I'll kick things off with my recently commissioned RODI system from VYAIR - My first time using this, produces 100 gallons of pure water per day with an input TDS reading of 489 and output of 4, I am pleased.

I use the waste water in the 1000 litre tank to pre wash the car and then the pure water to rinse, no drying towels needed and even on a warm day, no water spots.

IMG_9326.jpeg

@Pianoman - tagging you here as I'm interested in your rainwater system and solar jet wash. You get good results?

Last edited:
Good idea to start this thread.

I would not really call myself a detailer, more of an obsessive weekend warrior. I have watched a number of YouTube videos and there are a couple of guys whose channels I subscribe to as I like their style.

One is a Canadian guy called Pan and the other guy, Jon, has a channel called Forensic Detailing.

There are many channels that show you how to wash your car but after watching them i have developed my own quick was routine which I do every week and then a maintenance wash every third wash. I will also do a deep clean every few months.

Good idea to start this thread.

I would not really call myself a detailer, more of an obsessive weekend warrior. I have watched a number of YouTube videos and there are a couple of guys whose channels I subscribe to as I like their style.

One is a Canadian guy called Pan and the other guy, Jon, has a channel called Forensic Detailing.

There are many channels that show you how to wash your car but after watching them i have developed my own quick was routine which I do every week and then a maintenance wash every third wash. I will also do a deep clean every few months.

It can get a bit obsessive. I thought I had a lot of product!

Question on the EZ citrus cleaner, I can't see details for the PH level of that but acidic I assume. Do you use coating on your car like wax or ceramic? I ask because I thought these acidic cleaners were not ideal with coatings?

I have not yet used the EZ citrus cleaner yet but when I do I will follow the dilution ratio very carefully. From what I have read the citrus cleaners are good for getting rid of road grime but the car has not experienced much of that yet.

There is much discussion on washing/detailing on the site but not a single specific detailing thread I could find. This thread is for the obsessive (and not quite so obsessive) detailers. Share your tips, tricks, photos.

Discussion of automatic car washes in a positive light will be treated with polite indifference and perhaps a strong tut as they are clearly the work of the devil.

I'll kick things off with my recently commissioned RODI system from VYAIR - My first time using this, produces 100 gallons of pure water per day with an input TDS reading of 489 and output of 4, I am pleased.

I use the waste water in the 1000 litre tank to pre wash the car and then the pure water to rinse, no drying towels needed and even on a warm day, no water spots.

View attachment 17878

@Pianoman - tagging you here as I'm interested in your rainwater system and solar jet wash. You get good results?
Originally I collected the water for a business I started when I retired from piano building. It was a lawn care business that uses a lot of water. The water here is really hard and was clogging up my sprayers. I was always frustrated with washing the car as it was always covered in streaks and meant I had to polish it every time I washed it so I tried using the rain water and couldn't believe the difference. Washing the car is so much easier now. (2 of my sons run the business now)
The jet wash runs off my solar/ battery system built by givenergy but the previous 2 or 3 years I ran it from my home built system. 🙂

These short pistol-type snow foams guns I see detailers using online, what’s a good make?
Fed up of the long lance on my karcher.

You mean Paaaaaaaaaaan ... the organiser 😂

I find Jon really good. Honest and doesn't push brands unless he really believes in them and has been very open over sponsorship unlike many.

It can get a bit obsessive. I thought I had a lot of product!

Question on the EZ citrus cleaner, I can't see details for the PH level of that but acidic I assume. Do you use coating on your car like wax or ceramic? I ask because I thought these acidic cleaners were not ideal with coatings?
That's why I like the bilt hamber touchless. It has very good cleaning power, I know it's not the absolute most powerful available, but it's only got sugar based surfactants so my grass, resin bound driveway, pets and car paintwork are safe.

For those without access to pure water anyone got any tips on the water spots? I rinse and dry each section by hand at the end and it does ok but still never stop them.

For those without access to pure water anyone got any tips on the water spots? I rinse and dry each section by hand at the end and it does ok but still never stop them.
I will only wash my car when it's cool and preferably cloudy so the water doesn't have a chance to evaporate causing water spots before I dry it off.
I have been known to be out washing the car at 7am, but not with the pressure washer, as I still want to speak civilly to the neighbours :ROFLMAO:

I will only wash my car when it's cool and preferably cloudy so the water doesn't have a chance to evaporate causing water spots before I dry it off.
I have been known to be out washing the car at 7am, but not with the pressure washer, as I still want to speak civilly to the neighbours :ROFLMAO:
Yes ok so the trick is to beat the sunshine or just don’t bother I guess. I am a hand washer too using a bucket over the pressure washer.

That's why I like the bilt hamber touchless. It has very good cleaning power, I know it's not the absolute most powerful available, but it's only got sugar based surfactants so my grass, resin bound driveway, pets and car paintwork are safe.
Gets good reviews, I’ve not yet tried it. My go to at the moment is Autoglym Polar Blast. It looks expensive for 2.5 litres but I dilute it 1/3 rd product to water and it does a great job for me pH neutral too though not as natural as the BH touch less as you say

Black/Dark cars are always tricky, especially in warm weather and with minimal water as others have said. I’m about to put up a DI vessel for sale in classifieds, that would give you a lot pure water for not much outlay. I’ll post more details when I get to work later.

Finally got around to buying brushes for the drill and did the Evoque seats at the weekend.
Just some autoglym interior shampoo and letting them dry naturally, I don’t (yet) have a wet and dry hoover.
Well impressed, although I think the ones I’ve bought might be a bit harsh.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back