MG4 First Impressions...err Foibles

MelanieMoxon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I picked up my Orange MG4 Trophy on the 25th of November, Initially all was well (I missed the Driver Alertness System Fault when I first picked it up). Less than 20hrs later I was back at the dealer, not in the best of moods, I not only had the Driver Alertness System Fault displaying on the dash, but an AAC System Failure and the car wouldn't respond to either key nor the lock button, the car also refused point blank to power down. I didn't notice the car also displaying the Android Auto "Pre-Production Hardware - Not For Resale" message as I didn't have the right cable; USB-C to USB-C, rather than the required USB A (Really MG!).

A rather inauspicious start, after what was already a stressful acquisition process.

I nearly got the car back on Wednesday after a master re-set at the dealer (initial thoughts of "it's just a knackered 12v battery" were disappointingly not the case). But it's still at the dealership now as the driver alertness system fault is still being displayed (as is the pre-production hardware message). The user manual was no help, and disabling the system was no help, the message persisted and the system remained non-functional. I left the dealer in the dealers MG HS PHEV for the second time. I am not ashamed to say that with other stresses in life I broke down that evening.

On Friday I messaged the dealer and said I was considering rejecting the car if it is not sorted. I wouldn't accept a used car with a fault, why should I accept a new one. He immediately said I could have the demonstrator car, which is fine but it doesn't fix the problem, it is currently in the garage and I have done more miles in it than my own car.

The dealers demo car has the same "pre-production hardware - not for resale" message so I know it doesn't have the latest software in it. But the driver alertness system works.

It's not a good advert for MG; the cars are clearly not tested when they leave the factory, nor when they arrive in the UK and it is evident that the dealers miss these things.

Mel

I picked up my Orange MG4 Trophy on the 25th of November, Initially all was well (I missed the Driver Alertness System Fault when I first picked it up). Less than 20hrs later I was back at the dealer, not in the best of moods, I not only had the Driver Alertness System Fault displaying on the dash, but an AAC System Failure and the car wouldn't respond to either key nor the lock button, the car also refused point blank to power down. I didn't notice the car also displaying the Android Auto "Pre-Production Hardware - Not For Resale" message as I didn't have the right cable; USB-C to USB-C, rather than the required USB A (Really MG!).

A rather inauspicious start, after what was already a stressful acquisition process.

I nearly got the car back on Wednesday after a master re-set at the dealer (initial thoughts of "it's just a knackered 12v battery" were disappointingly not the case). But it's still at the dealership now as the driver alertness system fault is still being displayed (as is the pre-production hardware message). The user manual was no help, and disabling the system was no help, the message persisted and the system remained non-functional. I left the dealer in the dealers MG HS PHEV for the second time. I am not ashamed to say that with other stresses in life I broke down that evening.

On Friday I messaged the dealer and said I was considering rejecting the car if it is not sorted. I wouldn't accept a used car with a fault, why should I accept a new one. He immediately said I could have the demonstrator car, which is fine but it doesn't fix the problem, it is currently in the garage and I have done more miles in it than my own car.

The dealers demo car has the same "pre-production hardware - not for resale" message so I know it doesn't have the latest software in it. But the driver alertness system works.

It's not a good advert for MG; the cars are clearly not tested when they leave the factory, nor when they arrive in the UK and it is evident that the dealers miss these things.

Mel
Who was the dealer? They should be named and shamed if they can't even software update your car

Mel
I‘m sorry to hear about your experience Mel and it’s certainly not what any of us owners or potential owners would wish for, on what should be an exciting time upon taking ownership of a brand new car. Unfortunately, there have been a few members of this forum who have ultimately had to reject their cars, despite trying hard to want to like them. Some issues can be overlooked in the hopes of a software update or easy fix, but when a car requires numerous visits to your dealer and your spending more time in the courtesy car than your own, then that can become very stressful.

I recommend letting Becky McCoole-Smith who is the Aftersales Customer Experience Manager at MG Motor UK know about your experience:

[email protected]

Sorry to read this @MelanieMoxon …I wonder if the dealers are equally frustrated with MG, in that they have no clear guidance on how to fix these issues? Hoping the suggested software updates actually sort things for you.
Indeed, its why I am refraining from naming and shaming at this point. I realise that naming the dealer could be of benefit to some, but it could also cause unnecessary damage to a dealer that is just going through the "MG fix-a-car playbook" step by tedious step.

I believe there is a software bug in the Driver Alertness system which I have heard MG is working on so the dealers just updating the software before the bug is fixed won't fix anything. I have also heard that some recent Trophy deliveries haven't had the driver alert cameras fitted so they are just like the SE so no Driver Alert fault. Although one dealer told me not to read too much into it because features can go missing on any makers' car if parts are not available and he cited Merc. But I know Tesla does it quite a lot since their specs are shall we say rather fluid. A while back Tesla shipped cars with holes in the trim where the USB should be because in every other respect the car was complete and then once they were in-stock they offered owners to have them retrofitted at service centers if customers asked for the USBs!

The crazy thing is you can have two cars, each with identical hardware and software, and only one of the two cars may actually display a particular fault or 'bug'. Software related issues can thus be time consuming and challenging to fix. At the end of the day, dealers are not software developers so they really need the manufacturer to come through. I am sure MG will catch the gremlins sooner or later but I do feel bad for the OP.

The crazy thing is you can have two cars, each with identical hardware and software, and only one of the two cars may actually display a particular fault or 'bug'. Software related issues can thus be time consuming and challenging to fix. At the end of the day, dealers are not software developers so they really need the manufacturer to come through. I am sure MG will catch the gremlins sooner or later but I do feel bad for the OP.
I was one of the first 1,000 to order the ZS EV when it was released and in the first year to eighteen mons I had frequent trips to the dealer for software updates, a recall and an HVAC fault that turned out to be common. Fortunately, I didn't have the steering rack problem which plagued many ZS Gen 1 cars but my daughter is still waiting on the steering rack replacement for her March 2020 apparently due to a lack of parts. Fortunately, it isn't a safety issue but is disconcerting when the steering clunks as you turn through the central position ie as leaving a roundabout.

My dealer (Unity) has reverted to the "what do you expect, it's a cheap car" mode. I guess I have to live with it and hope that there's second hand car dealers who'll want to touch an MG in future.

My dealer (Unity) has reverted to the "what do you expect, it's a cheap car" mode. I guess I have to live with it and hope that there's second hand car dealers who'll want to touch an MG in future.
Sounds like a cheap dealer who doesn't want repeat business.

Sounds like a cheap dealer who doesn't want repeat business.
Honestly, it might sound like I've a grudge, but my conversation with the service manager was a true eye opener. Their policy seems to be based on ignorance and apathy. I listed many of the issues and got a very defensive line of "MG will know about that", but when asked about specific faults such as internal temp causing air con to blow cold they were totally unaware. I also enquired as to how MG will know about such things if dealers don't report them, offering to send an email with all known faults. The response was that "MG will know everything, so there's no need". Then when I informed them that other dealers were performing updates they said "they shouldn't be because there aren't any yet. Maybe they're using 3rd party updates?", again showing a cluelessness on another level.

In essence, such dealers will trash the brand even if MG don't manage to. If anyone can refer me to a competent dealer in the east Midlands I'd be very interested.

That is absolutely incompetent and intolerable behaviour from a dealer.
If that was me I would be naming and shaming them to MGUK. MG have enough problems without shysters like that being associated with the brand.

Your comment about the cars not being tested when they leave the factory is spot on, slack build and QC abounds.
I mean, for goodness sake, my car (and others) have had vibration and rumbling that seems to be fixed by wheel balancing!
They’re miles out and, to be fair, dealers shouldn’t really have to check for the likes of that in a PDI.

I’m hoping the same, I think my time with this car will be very short lived.
Just waiting for PCP prices to be announced for the likes of the smart One EV and Abarth 500E and I’m outta MG world, so hoping sale values hold up like my Leaf did.

That’s assuming it stays fault free from today onwards, rejection is still a possibility if something else goes wrong soon.

I believe there is a software bug in the Driver Alertness system which I have heard MG is working on so the dealers just updating the software before the bug is fixed won't fix anything. I have also heard that some recent Trophy deliveries haven't had the driver alert cameras fitted so they are just like the SE so no Driver Alert fault. Although one dealer told me not to read too much into it because features can go missing on any makers' car if parts are not available and he cited Merc. But I know Tesla does it quite a lot since their specs are shall we say rather fluid. A while back Tesla shipped cars with holes in the trim where the USB should be because in every other respect the car was complete and then once they were in-stock they offered owners to have them retrofitted at service centers if customers asked for the USBs!
That's nuts, so the bump with the "IR window" on it on the top of the steering column could literally have no camera in it! That is just shoddy, and if that turns out to be the case the car will be rejected and I will name and shame the dealer because its something that should have been picked up. Its a real shame as the car had such potential. I knew that in 10 years or so this car would no way stand the test of time like a Lexus but I went into the purchase knowing that.

FWIW I really wanted the Mini-e (after having a 1.6 Cooper and enjoying it in the past) but the pathetic battery size due to the non BEV specific chassis put me off, during winter I'd be really tetchy about doing the longer drives that I do. The issue is now that if I reject the car (or rather the finance company does on my behalf) I will be left without a car as I doubt I'll be getting my immaculate FMDSH CT200h back any time soon.

Its a real shame as this saga, however minor it might seem has guaranteed them a loss of repeat custom (not just the dealer, the brand as a whole).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back