MG4 improvement wish list

WalkingBootWeather

Established Member
Reaction score
So, many people have had a chance to see, drive or take ownership of their MG4 now. Most people seem to agree that it is a fine car and will be in the running for Car of the Year. There have however been a few grumbles about things that wouldn't have cost much but could have made the car even better. Some of these changes might be improvements to software, others would need hardware or design tweaks.

New extended range and Performance AWD models are coming soon and MG are on a roll with new models in the pipeline. Ideally we would have some sort of mechanism to vote or crowd influence, but for now lets use this thread to list improvements you would like to see.

I'll get the ball rolling with some modest suggestions that I'd be happy to pay a bit more for:

• Remember driver preferences for Drive mode, Regeneration Level, Pilot settings etc., or better still
  • Physical buttons or paddles for changing driver mode and regen level
  • Improved attention detection or an ability to turn off warnings
  • Better quality seat material with full vegan leather option (not just fabric base and vegan leather sides)
  • Firmer seat cushion with lumbar support
  • Rear passenger lighting
  • Rear passenger vents
  • Fold down rear armrest and cupholder
  • Grab handles with hook for jacket
  • Curry hook in boot
  • Option for lighter headlining
  • 3 pin plug option in cabin
  • Replace piano black trim with something scratch resistant
  • Recording front and rear cameras
  • Wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Option for roof rails/ability to carry load on the roof.
Am sure members will be able to propose additional features for MG to consider.

Good list

HUD option would be good
Rain sensing wipers
Automatic boot hatch opening option

All non essential but like to have at least an option. The good thing is mg don't have much of an option list (other manufacturers give you base and pile on options expenses!) to keep prices down, the bad is they don't have much of an option list :)

Alan

I am all for fixing bugs and software enhancements but I think adding a lot of these things would go against what MG is trying to be: a relatively simple low-cost EV maker with a few main choices rather than a ton of expensive-to-make-and-buy options. If the cars went up significantly in price I would not be considering MG but one of the more established makes. I like the fact that MG is doing things differently and would not want to lose that.

So, many people have had a chance to see, drive or take ownership of their MG4 now. Most people seem to agree that it is a fine car and will be in the running for Car of the Year. There have however been a few grumbles about things that wouldn't have cost much but could have made the car even better. Some of these changes might be improvements to software, others would need hardware or design tweaks.

New extended range and Performance AWD models are coming soon and MG are on a roll with new models in the pipeline. Ideally we would have some sort of mechanism to vote or crowd influence, but for now lets use this thread to list improvements you would like to see.

I'll get the ball rolling with some modest suggestions that I'd be happy to pay a bit more for:

• Remember driver preferences for Drive mode, Regeneration Level, Pilot settings etc., or better still
  • Physical buttons or paddles for changing driver mode and regen level
  • Improved attention detection or an ability to turn off warnings
  • Better quality seat material with full vegan leather option (not just fabric base and vegan leather sides)
  • Firmer seat cushion with lumbar support
  • Rear passenger lighting
  • Rear passenger vents
  • Fold down rear armrest and cupholder
  • Grab handles with hook for jacket
  • Curry hook in boot
  • Option for lighter headlining
  • 3 pin plug option in cabin
  • Replace piano black trim with something scratch resistant
  • Recording front and rear cameras
  • Wireless Android Auto / Apple Car Play
  • Option for roof rails/ability to carry load on the roof.
Am sure members will be able to propose additional features for MG to consider.
I completely agree and half of these would either cost nothing or very little to them.

I completely agree and half of these would either cost nothing or very little to them.
My understanding is that avoiding any options has been key to the new factory being able to produce cars at a low price point. It might seem cheap to do some of these but variations from car to car could significantly raise their overall costs. I think this is why there is no SR Trophy.

My understanding is that avoiding any options has been key to the new factory being able to produce cars at a low price point. It might seem cheap to do some of these but variations from car to car could significantly raise their overall costs. I think this is why there is no SR Trophy.
I don't think this thread is designed to argue why they did things, its to express what we would like to see and having the ability to save your settings I assume wouldn't cost anything.

I don't think this thread is designed to argue why they did things, its to express what we would like to see and having the ability to save your settings I assume wouldn't cost anything.
As I said, I am all in favour of that one, but most others on the list would involve changes in the factory, hence my points.

I am not opposing this thread at all, just trying to put the case that there are good reasons why we don’t have an options list.

And rain sensing wipers 👍
Harry are you saying the trophy DOES have rain sensing wipers already? good to know if that's the case

and btw - Personally I thought I would never buy a car without a heated front windscreen having had one for over 35 years on my Fords - I would suggest this on the improvement wish list, but not sure how it would affect range :) :)

Harry are you saying the trophy DOES have rain sensing wipers already? good to know if that's the case

and btw - Personally I thought I would never buy a car without a heated front windscreen having had one for over 35 years on my Fords - I would suggest this on the improvement wish list, but not sure how it would affect range :) :)
Yes Vini, mine does.

These are all fine suggestions but would increase the price. Maybe a Trophy Plus could have these and just do software tweaks to the existing range to keep prices down.
I have deliberately tried to list things that would improve the car IMHO without a significant increase in cost. Firmer cushions and higher quality (thicker) material for the seats for instance might add a few pounds to manufacturing cost but better wear and tear characteristics, improve perceived quality and would make this worthwhile in my view.

I agree there is no sense in offering options because that would add to costs. The question re seats for instance is:
  • are you happy with current quality
  • would you want them thinner and cheaper
  • would you prefer them to be harder wearing (and a bit more expensive)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back