• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 New fault: Drivers door unlock button.

barrym01

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Further to having the vehicle for just under three weeks a fault has now developed where I can neither lock or unlock the car with the button on the outside door handle. The key works fine so it's obviously not the battery. Is anyone aware of something I may have dine to disable this function? I have tried contacting a dealer, however they advise they'd need a car fir a whole day to do diagnostics. Hoping someone can advise, many thanks.

I’m sure others will help.
My observation would be that why can’t a dealer just have a quick look for you if you drop in? I’d be tempted to just turn up and ask them to have a quick look. This ’have the car for a whole day’ thing is just silly - it adds complexity to minor issues and just builds in more time wasting for no reason. Also it’s crap customer service. Allocate a technician who deals with customer minor issues - it‘s great customer service.

Your profile currently shows Not an MG ... is that an oversight?

To be honest I've never used the door button on mine - maybe I should try it to see if it does actually work! 😁

Is it a case that the button depresses but nothing happens, or that the button appears to be "stuck"?

I’m sure others will help.
My observation would be that why can’t a dealer just have a quick look for you if you drop in? I’d be tempted to just turn up and ask them to have a quick look. This ’have the car for a whole day’ thing is just silly - it adds complexity to minor issues and just builds in more time wasting for no reason. Also it’s crap customer service. Allocate a technician who deals with customer minor issues - it‘s great customer service.
What a novel idea, our dealership is going to be great

Your profile currently shows Not an MG ... is that an oversight?

To be honest I've never used the door button on mine - maybe I should try it to see if it does actually work! 😁

Is it a case that the button depresses but nothing happens, or that the button appears to be "stuck"?
so you use the key all the time? It definitely feels more normal to use the key but I usually keep it in my pocket so I use the handle button most of the time, not seen any problem so far 🤞

Yes - force of habit over many many years. :)

FYI - just been and tried my door button (with key in my pocket). All works fine, and the button offers a positive movement and feedback (so it's not just a "plick" like you might find on some other cars, it's a proper transition in and out).

I also have had problem with drivers door not opening with button every time. And have anyone else had a problem when putting in reverse the camera not working first time straight away please

I also have had problem with drivers door not opening with button every time. And have anyone else had a problem when putting in reverse the camera not working first time straight away please
When you have to reverse and forward a couple of times out of a tight spot, the reverse camera takes annoyingly long to engage every time. No issues with the door button though.

My passenger door button has failed completely. Replacement door handle needed.

My drivers door is fine but just checked my passenger one this morning and its not working at all. I've actually never used the button on the passenger side before but It feels spongy rather than clicky like the driver side.

Drivers side stopped working a month or so ago, dealer confirmed whilst in for lock in SW update yesterday that they'll have to order a new handle. Passenger button clicks and unlocks, drivers is like pushing on a marshmallow. Love the keyless entry, used to use it all the time.

Just when most annoying faults look like they are resolved this one has appeared and there now seem to be a few instances of this being reported

Further to having the vehicle for just under three weeks a fault has now developed where I can neither lock or unlock the car with the button on the outside door handle. The key works fine so it's obviously not the battery. Is anyone aware of something I may have dine to disable this function? I have tried contacting a dealer, however they advise they'd need a car fir a whole day to do diagnostics. Hoping someone can advise, many thanks.
I had a letter re a recall for this even though I’ve not had any issue and got it booked in to check, took an hour and everything was ok? Have you had the letter about the recall?

Mine has developed the issue now. For some reason it only really happens when trying to unlock... Locking seems to work every time. I've had to take a video because I doubt the dealer will believe me when I say it's intermittent...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back