• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
does it have anything to do with improving excessive battery drainage or withholding power with lots of battery left?
I had another miserable drive to work today, i had 49% battery when i set off, there was no power, the car refused to accelerate and it put me in a very dangerous position when i joined the bypass and would not accelerate, the car crawled to 40 mph while i had approaching vehicles. I arrived at work after 9 miles of driving with only 32% battery and 32 miles of range.
Its going back to MG next week and i want one of 3 things, Fix it, swap it for one that works or give me a full refund and let it be someone else's problem and potential death trap!.

does it have anything to do with improving excessive battery drainage or withholding power with lots of battery left?
I had another miserable drive to work today, i had 49% battery when i set off, there was no power, the car refused to accelerate and it put me in a very dangerous position when i joined the bypass and would not accelerate, the car crawled to 40 mph while i had approaching vehicles. I arrived at work after 9 miles of driving with only 32% battery and 32 miles of range.
Its going back to MG next week and i want one of 3 things, Fix it, swap it for one that works or give me a full refund and let it be someone else's problem and potential death trap!.
Seems to me (opinion only, nothing technical to back it up) that your car has a significant fault and I personally wouldn't trust any "fix", which is likely to be just the dealer resetting stuff. I can't see them replacing anything significant like the battery pack because I genuinely believe the dealers don't have the training/capability at this stage. Some are even struggling to do simple software updates.

It would be a new car or rejection for me I'm afraid.

Seems to me (opinion only, nothing technical to back it up) that your car has a significant fault and I personally wouldn't trust any "fix", which is likely to be just the dealer resetting stuff. I can't see them replacing anything significant like the battery pack because I genuinely believe the dealers don't have the training/capability at this stage. Some are even struggling to do simple software updates.

It would be a new car or rejection for me I'm afraid.
I've just spoken with Mg and informed that that my car is becoming a death trap, and they are going to look at it today.

Im not exactly filled with confidence for them to fix this problem because its looking like its a dodgy battery

My SE SR is exactly the same. two occasions of limited power and the m/kwh not matching the actual % capacity used bu a long shot. I think my actual is more like 0.8m/kwh and thats driving carefully with no HVAC! Im trying a balance charge as im without a home charger right now

My SE SR is exactly the same. two occasions of limited power and the m/kwh not matching the actual % capacity used bu a long shot. I think my actual is more like 0.8m/kwh and thats driving carefully with no HVAC! Im trying a balance charge as im without a home charger right now
mine is doing about 1 mile for every 1% of battery but it had only cut power once before when the battery was down to about 32% and it was -5.
Today was a big surprise and quite scary because it joined a 60mph road at walking pace and i had cars approaching me so i have absolutely no trust in the car any more and this should not be happening to anyone who's just parted with £26000 for a brand-new car that doesn't seem fit for purpose in the real world
Id accept a little drop off in range due to cold weather but i will not accept my car becoming dangerous to my self and other road users and if MG say this is how the car is then i will be giving it back and demanding a full refund.

You do appear to have got a "lemon" unfortunately. Whilst I'm experiencing the range drop I'm not experiencing any other drive issue in my SE SR, so it's not a common issue thus it must be a fault in your car (and @bowfer's) . 🤷‍♂️

Fully understand why you'd go the rejection route - if I was in the same boat I would too.

mine is doing about 1 mile for every 1% of battery but it had only cut power once before when the battery was down to about 32% and it was -5.
Today was a big surprise and quite scary because it joined a 60mph road at walking pace and i had cars approaching me so i have absolutely no trust in the car any more and this should not be happening to anyone who's just parted with £26000 for a brand-new car that doesn't seem fit for purpose in the real world
Id accept a little drop off in range due to cold weather but i will not accept my car becoming dangerous to my self and other road users and if MG say this is how the car is then i will be giving it back and demanding a full refund.
Sounds like you have a dud car. I would be insisting on a replacement or money back.
I dont think any of the LR's have had this problem, but I may be wrong so could be the type of battery in the SR's.
If LR's are fine then get your dealer to upgrade you to LR for no extra charge??

Sounds like you have a dud car. I would be insisting on a replacement or money back.
I dont think any of the LR's have had this problem, but I may be wrong so could be the type of battery in the SR's.
If LR's are fine then get your dealer to upgrade you to LR for no extra charge??
i highly doubt the dealer will offer me anything like that, they make money by selling cars, not giving away upgrades, i've had the car for just over 30 days so getting a refund is likely going to be a battle in court

Heads up everyone. Word is there is a recall coming soon and it’s not for the LKA, leak or tray. Cannot say what it is as promised my source, but you’ll know soon enough.
"There are eight million stories in the naked city. This has been one of them."

I knew of the locking in software update as my dealer told me of it the other day, but if there's an actual recall I'd like to hear when the first owner gets the call. Or is it like the oil leak and they'll apply the update to the as yet uncollected cars, but wait for owners to complain before retro installing it?
I would hope that as the DVSA are involved that it will be a proper recall.

Do manufacturers get a grace period for doing this before it becomes officially recorded?

Yes I am doing exactly the same tonight I have had the new software for the recall and I can tell you now it does not work.went to car this morning couldn’t put it into drive or anything screen errors this is the final straw it’s a complete death trap car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 467 79.6%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 78 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums