MG4 servicing

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
To keep full service history on an EV is it much cheaper than ICE cars?

If you go once a year to get it serviced how much does it cost?

Oh that’s worth £50 thanks

I know with ICE cars it’s so important to change oil ect but EVs it’s not so important?

And remember you need it serviced annually to maintain the warranty and if you go off piste to any none MG service centre it may make it more difficult to make a warranty claim...not impossible just maybe more difficult.

Last edited:
My favourite topic! EV servicing at the intervals most manufactures suggest is unnecessary and a complete ripoff. It’s to try and keep revenue coming in as ICE servicing decreases.
MG are not one of the worst price wise though.

And remember you need it serviced annually to maintain the warranty and if you go off piste to any none MG service centre it may make it more difficult to make a warranty claim...not impossible just maybe more difficult unless you can prove oem parts were used
I think the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer to prove they weren't and that it was a contributory factor to the failure.

I think that you’re right. However in practice it just makes a claim more difficult to make and dealers will always use this as a reason to delay and procrastinate That’s why most will go the dealer route as they don’t want the hassle.

And remember you need it serviced annually to maintain the warranty and if you go off piste to any none MG service centre it may make it more difficult to make a warranty claim...not impossible just maybe more difficult unless you can prove oem parts were used

I’ve been servicing ICE cars for years outside the main dealer network, mainly for convenience of location (cost savings are nice too)
Proving OEM parts are used is easy, they give you an itemised invoice with part numbers.
It’s worth noting I’ve never had an issue with warranty claims, and leasing companies have also never queried it.
So it’s really still fear that means people use main dealers.
FWIW I’d try and use Cleevely for all my EV servicing, if I lived nearer them.

Struggling to think what service parts will be fitted to an EV within the first 5 years, so what will you need to prove was OE?
The possible improvement in value of the car upon disposal and AA cover is the only benefit I can think of in using the MG network.
That might be worth £100 quid a pop to me but I'd struggle to hand over more for what is essentially a wasted day of nonsense.

I agree, just making the point about MG potentially being awkward if you go outwith their network and make a warranty claim. Perhaps body perforation check is the only other thing to be aware of...not that it might do you any good with a bodywork claim anyway

Last edited:
I think the burden of proof lies with the manufacturer to prove they weren't and that it was a contributory factor to the failure.
Yes but you have to prove the parts were OEM and go back and forth between MG and where you had it serviced in case of a dispute.

Edit: as bowfer says, this is unlikely to be a problem in practice.

Assuming your dealer will offer the low mileage service. Not all do.
It would be good to compare what offers are out there?

What is the lowest price package for the lowest mileage?

Many will use the MG4 as a second car for only shopping or something and only do about 5k miles per year

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 491 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back