MG4 Snagging list after 1000m

jon0881

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So ive had my MG4 for just over a month and i love it. Initially i regretted getting the SE SR with the poor charge speed and power loss but since having a home charger and balancing the pack its been good. I thought i would share my snagging list im sharing with my dealer to sort out in case anyone notices anything;
  1. Oil leak - I did see some patches but its been so wet and mushy its hard to say for sure if i have it, i hope i do so they install the mod
  2. Under tray bulge - logged on pickup of the car so should be simple
  3. Drivers door button to unluck the car doesnt work anymore
  4. Software update for the recall and the Lane Kill Assist hopefully
  5. Wind noise from the drivers side only at ~40mph and above
  6. Light beam/reach in darkness - Even at the furthest setting the reach of the headlight is dangerously short. Auto Full beam is ok if a bit twitchty but even following a car at a safe distance there is a void of light. I wonder if this would pass an MOT light test in current form?
  7. Noisy AC compressor

Last edited:
I’ve heard of others needing their headlamps adjusted because they were set too low.
There is a recall for ‘locking in’ issue - not sure if your car is affected - you should have had a letter if it is. Worth checking.

There's a thread already about this, with linked videos. Set the AC to 23C and fan low (or Auto), lift the bonnet and you'll clearly hear it if you have it. :)

The AC noise is more of a ticking on mine.
If you’ll excuse the pun, the headlights are one of the few highlights on my car.
Great on dip, fine on main.
The auto function is a mess though, pleases itself.
Doesn’t dip when it should and nearly got me into a road rage argument the other night when it went onto full beam right behind a car on a dual carriageway.
I manually dipped it quick, but I could see the driver in front gesticulating, he quite rightly must have been wondering WTF.
I’ve not reported it as a fault, what’s the point.

Yet the auto-main-beam works well on mine - no worse and probably better than the same feature on my old Insignia.

Last edited:
The AC noise is more of a ticking on mine.
If you’ll excuse the pun, the headlights are one of the few highlights on my car.
Great on dip, fine on main.
The auto function is a mess though, pleases itself.
Doesn’t dip when it should and nearly got me into a road rage argument the other night when it went onto full beam right behind a car on a dual carriageway.
I manually dipped it quick, but I could see the driver in front gesticulating, he quite rightly must have been wondering WTF.
I’ve not reported it as a fault, what’s the point.
I like it when someone flashes you thinking you have fullbeam on and I'm like no... But here have some full beam for your troubles

I love the headlights on my MG and an amazed when people complain about them - feels like we must have different cars! The auto main beam thing is okay, but on winding country roads lacks the intelligence needed - it doesn't see a reflection and realise it means there's a car around the corner for example.

Yes, headlamps are good, especially after coming from a car with HID lamps which took their own sweet time warming up.
My only complaint is that the dang things come on every time I start up and I have to automatically cancel automatic headlights!! Or, is there a setting I've not come across somewhere that'll stop hat happening every time. Probably not as it resets almost everything else each time it powers down!

Yes, headlamps are good, especially after coming from a car with HID lamps which took their own sweet time warming up.
My only complaint is that the dang things come on every time I start up and I have to automatically cancel automatic headlights!! Or, is there a setting I've not come across somewhere that'll stop hat happening every time. Probably not as it resets almost everything else each time it powers down!
The auto high beam function can be disabled in the "lighting" menu on the central screen. In my vehicle it stays off then.

Are you in your garage when they come on or do they come on anywhere when you restart the car?
Just about any car when set to auto headlights will do this in a darkened garage until you reverse out.

Are you in your garage when they come on or do they come on anywhere when you restart the car?
Just about any car when set to auto headlights will do this in a darkened garage until you reverse out.
No, it happens every time I start the car, during the day or at night.
I haven't had chance to check yet, but there might be an option to disable it on the lighting menu apparently, see post #12 from @Eber .

No, it happens every time I start the car, during the day or at night.
I haven't had chance to check yet, but there might be an option to disable it on the lighting menu apparently, see post #12 from @Eber .
Mine does the same. The headlights are on and I have to move the light switch to the right to turn them off. I think Eber‘s post refers to the auto high beam rather than the headlights.

Mine does the same. The headlights are on and I have to move the light switch to the right to turn them off. I think Eber‘s post refers to the auto high beam rather than the headlights.
Yep...I think that is what @Eber is referring to. No doubt you can disable auto headlights somewhere but that would mean you would have to manually turn them on as it gets dark and off when you alight from the car like in the 'old' days. :p
I would imagine that if they always turn themselves on when restarting they would turn off again after a short time if it is light (daytime).
That is what my current ICE model does with the auto lights and I can also turn them off by pulling the indicator stalk towards me and releasing it but I don't know whether that would work with the MG4.
Mine also come on when I enter my garage and after locking the car they turn off after 30 seconds or so and the time delay can be set. No doubt this is so you have some light at night to move around the car or remove things whatever.

Last edited:
I would imagine that if they always turn themselves on when restarting they would turn off again after a short time if it is light (daytime).
Mine come on most of the time as well and unfortunately don't turn off even when driving in bright sunshine. I've just taken to switching the lights off when I start up as I haven't found anywhere to turn off autolights.

Mine come on most of the time as well and unfortunately don't turn off even when driving in bright sunshine. I've just taken to switching the lights off when I start up as I haven't found anywhere to turn off autolights.
It's the welcome lights you need to turn off in the convenience menu if I recall correctly

Apparently, again its all part of the modern obsession with "safety". It seems that people were driving off with just DRL on and because they are so bright, assumed they had headlights on. Because of that it's now mandatory for headlights to come on automatically and have to be switched off each time if not required. :rolleyes:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 486 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back