MG4 test drive

Shippo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I had a 30 min test drive today, car drives excellent, acceleration is better than my zs ev, car looks amazing, so I was disappointed that I wasn't over the moon with it. I know the interior is very dark, regen is virtually non existent even on level 3. I was ready to place an order today, but didn't, the salesman said I could go back in a couple of weeks and he will let me take it for 2 hours which I am going to do. Am I the only one to not love it instantly?

You're the first I've read who says the regen is so bad, even on strongest setting. Other reviews have said it was good, although not 1-pedal driving.

Are you sure it wasn't set to Adaptive regen?

Hi, I had a 30 min test drive today, car drives excellent, acceleration is better than my zs ev, car looks amazing, so I was disappointed that I wasn't over the moon with it. I know the interior is very dark, regen is virtually non existent even on level 3. I was ready to place an order today, but didn't, the salesman said I could go back in a couple of weeks and he will let me take it for 2 hours which I am going to do. Am I the only one to not love it instantly?
I was not in love the seats. I know others are concerned about the material. For me, and I'm really not a big fella, it was quite narrow.
Otherwise, I thought it was great. Very spacious inside compared to others we've looked at.

I read that the interior is dark to cut down on reflective glare on the two screens. Not sure how true that is as we don’t have anything to compare it with.

I think you’re right to want to take it for a longer test drive to see if it’s the one for you. Let us know your thoughts after the longer test.

I read that the interior is dark to cut down on reflective glare on the two screens. Not sure how true that is as we don’t have anything to compare it with.

I think you’re right to want to take it for a longer test drive to see if it’s the one for you. Let us know your thoughts after the longer test.
Absolutely agree. Our first half hour drive didn't convince me, but the second one did.

Fifer, my current EV has two screens, large sunroof and is light and airy...no glare. Urban myth or the smell of male cattle perhaps🐂😄

When I actually get the car, which is on order, I may consider ambient led lighting if it is that bad but I did not really notice it on the test drive to be honest...but then again I spend all my time up front ☸️

Alan

Absolutely agree. Our first half hour drive didn't convince me, but the second one did.
I took a risk, bought blind and wow…..so glad I did.

Initially I felt I may have been a little hasty. Having done 400 plus miles in one week since taking delivery, I am so happy that I took a punt.

But a punt it is, a very expensive one should it not work out.

Sit back, test drive sone others within the same price range (more I guess, if the coin is not an issue) and then go back and drive it again for a couple of hours.

one persons Museli, is another persons Porridge 😁

Fifer, my current EV has two screens, large sunroof and is light and airy...no glare. Urban myth or the smell of male cattle perhaps🐂😄

When I actually get the car, which is on order, I may consider ambient led lighting if it is that bad but I did not really notice it on the test drive to be honest...but then again I spend all my time up front ☸️

Alan
Could be just an urban myth then as your current EV screens don’t suffer from that problem.

I will get back and tell, It only seems so dark as I'm used to the panoramic sunroof and grey headliner.

You're the first I've read who says the regen is so bad, even on strongest setting. Other reviews have said it was good, although not 1-pedal driving.

Are you sure it wasn't set to Adaptive regen?
No, it wasn't, the dealer said mg had reduced it because owners of the zs ev and mg5 had said it was too aggressive, if that was the case use it in level 1 or 2.

Not quite a test drive, but I've just come from the local dealer and sat in a Grey SE.

Positives:
Plenty of Room, especially in the back.
Good visibility, also good from the back
Interior quality appeared to be slightly above average
Sunglasses Holder!!
Liked the grey colour.

Negatives:
Driving position is too high for me even with the seat on it's lowest setting.
Banged my knee on the floating console thing.
Seats appeared to be too soft for my personal taste, not sure how hard wearing they will be.
Dark! - too dark inside for me, needs a lighter headlining option.

Would I buy one just from sitting in it? No, but I think they've made a really good car that will appeal to many people.

Just had a call from my local MG dealer - I have a test drive booked for 11am tomorrow.

Watch this space. 😎

(He has a showroom model and a demo model - not sure which exactly, but he says he has about 10 cars coming in shortly, and my preference for an SE SR is in that batch).

Just had a call from my local MG dealer - I have a test drive booked for 11am tomorrow.

Watch this space. 😎

(He has a showroom model and a demo model - not sure which exactly, but he says he has about 10 cars coming in shortly, and my preference for an SE SR is in that batch).
Enjoy mate……..you will 😁🍺

Aaaaaaand ... I did! 😁

It was a white SE SR model - had it for a good 20+ minutes. As I'd never driven an EV before I wasn't sure what to expect, but is was very easy. (Like an automatic but without gear changes).

I found regen level 3 to be more than enough, though I also tried it with adaptive regen. (I'd probably stay with Normal mode and Regen 3). I didn't press the brake hard enough to test the auto-hold, but from a gentle stop when you lift off the brake the car will creep like a typical automatic - I actually liked this.

The seats were very comfortable - more comfortable than the ones in my 67 plate Insignia Grand Sport, and I could setup the driver's seat and steering wheel just as I liked very easily. When driving my left knee easily rested against the centre console and was comfortable.

I didn't cable up my phone but I left it on the shelf for the duration of the test drive and it didn't move - the gel case on it probably helped.

I didn't find anything I didn't like - even the rear view was fine for me (I tend to have the driver's seat higher and more upright), and I didn't miss the rear wiper. (We had some wet roads on the test and there was no noticeable spray coming up).

I'm sure I'll remember other things in the fullness of time. So the $64k question is - would I buy one? Well - yes - I did. SE SR in Camden Grey, and it'll arrive with me before the end of this month. (It's one of the cars on the Grand Venus I believe).

I also decided to take their service plan ... £399 for 3 years including an MOT.

Aaaaaaand ... I did! 😁

It was a white SE SR model - had it for a good 20+ minutes. As I'd never driven an EV before I wasn't sure what to expect, but is was very easy. (Like an automatic but without gear changes).

I found regen level 3 to be more than enough, though I also tried it with adaptive regen. (I'd probably stay with Normal mode and Regen 3). I didn't press the brake hard enough to test the auto-hold, but from a gentle stop when you lift off the brake the car will creep like a typical automatic - I actually liked this.

The seats were very comfortable - more comfortable than the ones in my 67 plate Insignia Grand Sport, and I could setup the driver's seat and steering wheel just as I liked very easily. When driving my left knee easily rested against the centre console and was comfortable.

I didn't cable up my phone but I left it on the shelf for the duration of the test drive and it didn't move - the gel case on it probably helped.

I didn't find anything I didn't like - even the rear view was fine for me (I tend to have the driver's seat higher and more upright), and I didn't miss the rear wiper. (We had some wet roads on the test and there was no noticeable spray coming up).

I'm sure I'll remember other things in the fullness of time. So the $64k question is - would I buy one? Well - yes - I did. SE SR in Camden Grey, and it'll arrive with me before the end of this month. (It's one of the cars on the Grand Venus I believe).

I also decided to take their service plan ... £399 for 3 years including an MOT.
You sound like a very happy bunny who ate the cat that got the cream 😁

regen is virtually non existent even on level 3. I was ready to place an order today

That is what I thought too. Set on the strong setting and really weak regen (I tried the other settings too including adaptive and they were weaker still).

For reference I drive a Golf GTE (Hybrid) and use it in "B" mode and the regen on that is much stronger, so effectively one pedal most of the time. The MG4 had me using the brake pedal quite a bit.

The battery on the MG4 was just under 90% so that may have affected it, but I would have thought with 10% left it would still have been able to regen fully?

The seats concerned me too as they were so soft. They were comfortable enough, but I would like to see what they are like on a longer journey and I'd also be concerned about the longevity of them (they feel like the foam you get in cheap sofas).

The whole car felt a little less solid and cheaply built than I anticipated, but given the price point I think that can be forgiven. It also drove well and just did everything I asked of it with no fuss.

That is what I thought too. Set on the strong setting and really weak regen (I tried the other settings too including adaptive and they were weaker still).

For reference I drive a Golf GTE (Hybrid) and use it in "B" mode and the regen on that is much stronger, so effectively one pedal most of the time. The MG4 had me using the brake pedal quite a bit.

The battery on the MG4 was just under 90% so that may have affected it, but I would have thought with 10% left it would still have been able to regen fully?

The seats concerned me too as they were so soft. They were comfortable enough, but I would like to see what they are like on a longer journey and I'd also be concerned about the longevity of them (they feel like the foam you get in cheap sofas).

The whole car felt a little less solid and cheaply built than I anticipated, but given the price point I think that can be forgiven. It also drove well and just did everything I asked of it with no fuss.
I'm not used to EVs, but used the regen for 90% of the braking - just using the brake pedal to bring it to a final stop. The car was around about 50% charged, so I wonder if that's significant.
The seats are probably the feature getting the most scepticism.

The salesman told me there is no regenerative braking at all when the brakes are used. That is no blended brakes.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 82 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums