• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Trophy Coasting

Paul V Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My ID.3 allowed me to switch from brake regenerate to normal, therefore I could coast, saving power use. I can’t see how to coast the MG4, only on Low regenerate?

Can anyone help, can you coast?

Reviews suggest that low regen (1) is almost non-existent ... near enough coasting.

What about if you try Adaptive regen? (When I test drove an SE SR and tried adaptive, with no car in front it was almost as if there was no regen at all when I was approaching a roundabout).

Reviews suggest that low regen (1) is almost non-existent ... near enough coasting.

What about if you try Adaptive regen? (When I test drove an SE SR and tried adaptive, with no car in front it was almost as if there was no regen at all when I was approaching a roundabout).
Thanks, didn't think of that, will try later going home, but I guess it should coast as its not a regen setting. Will post my result.

Thanks, didn't think of that, will try later going home, but I guess it should coast as its not a regen setting. Will post my result.
I switched to Adaptive and it was no different than strong 3, unable to coast? I will try low number 1 tomorrow.

I switched to Adaptive and it was no different than strong 3, unable to coast?

No coasting option, which I find rather frustrating. Love coasting in the Ioniq.

You could feather the throttle which would balance out the regen. :)

Re. no cars - that's not the response I got on my test drive 🤷‍♂️

I'm wondering whether it's worth using regen 3 for areas with roundabouts/junctions and using regen 1 to allow coasting on motorways where there will be ups and downs? A shortcut button to switch between the 2 would be useful.

Autumn/Winter driving in an ev certainly focuses the mind on efficient driving.

Depending on which model you have (i.e. Trophy) I think access to regen mode can be made via the left Favourite button.

I've always found coasting the most economical way to drive, in my hybrid car, then my plug in car (mostly ev mode) and my work car, a 44ton truck....be disappointed if there's no coasting available, doesn't the battery regen a little coasting anyway?

Regen by its nature is using "engine" (motor) resistance to brake (slow down) the vehicle ... that's why it's often referred to as KERS ... Kinetic Energy Recovery System, which converts motion to electrical energy by turning the motor into a generator.

The higher regen level you set the greater braking force you get. If you're coasting with little/no resistance (braking force) then you're not converting motion to electrical energy.

Just an observation. Those who have never owned an EV before aren't concerned about whether or not it has coasting because it drives similar to ICE automatics and it feels normal whereas those who have miss/want coasting.

I can see why some people would want coasting and think that it should be included as a mode, just like one pedal driving with strong regen. More choice has to be better.

I drive with maximum regen at all times and if I want to coast then I simply hold the accelerator pedal in the middle position.

My ID.3 allowed me to switch from brake regenerate to normal, therefore I could coast, saving power use. I can’t see how to coast the MG4, only on Low regenerate?

Can anyone help, can you coast?
I too owned a ID.3 and the coasting was brilliant. My MG4 Trophy can’t coast like the ID.3, something I really miss. Even on regen 1, its nothing like the ID.3, a real shame.

I didn’t ask the question, I replied to the question?
Your reply was to your own question though?…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back