MG4 vs ZS

Guru

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My 4 is back at the dealer for some software updates and they've given me a mk2 ZS EV as a courtesy car. Interesting being back in a ZS especially as it's a mk2 rather then the mk1 we had before. There's a few things a prefer on the ZS:
  • Instrument cluster is nicer on the ZS. The screen is better and the graphics a little more polished.
  • Love having a few more physical buttons for things like climate control.
  • Really like the sunroof, which is one of the things I missed most from our ZS
  • Extra space is good, also missed that.
  • MG Pilot that actually works! Hope that MG can fix that on the 4

But some things are better on the 4
  • The driving experience is much better on the 4. The ride and handling are far more polished.
  • Turning circle on the 4 is better, car seems much easier to manoeuvre.
  • Less motor whine, I'd forgotten how loud the ZS is compared to the 4
  • Seats on the 4 are a little more comfortable.
  • Sound system is better on the 4

The mk2 ZS is much improved over the mk1 however no regrets in going to the 4, just hope the software bugs can be worked out.

My 4 is back at the dealer for some software updates and they've given me a mk2 ZS EV as a courtesy car. Interesting being back in a ZS especially as it's a mk2 rather then the mk1 we had before. There's a few things a prefer on the ZS:
  • Instrument cluster is nicer on the ZS. The screen is better and the graphics a little more polished.

• The driving experience is much better on the 4. The ride and handling are far more polished.

The mk2 ZS is much improved over the mk1 however no regrets in going to the 4, just hope the software bugs can be worked out.
I find the 4 has more space except the boot, but for driver and passenger I'm sure the 4 has more because of its EV platform. I never owned a ZS but got one as a courtesy car whilst MG4 was in and I thought it was poor compared to the 4... mostly around the drive but also the feel and look of the inside

I also had a new ZS as one of several loan cars when my 4 has been at the dealer.
Horrible petrol engine aside, with one of the worst lumpy power deliveries I’ve ever encountered in an ICE car, I didn’t like it.
it’s dated on the outside ( 10YO Hyundai IX35 ) and it’s dated on the inside.
Lack of adjustment also meant the wheel was just always too low for my comfort.
The seats were a bit firmer and comfier than the 4 though, but that was it.

I also had a new ZS as one of several loan cars when my 4 has been at the dealer.
Horrible petrol engine aside, with one of the worst lumpy power deliveries I’ve ever encountered in an ICE car, I didn’t like it.
it’s dated on the outside ( 10YO Hyundai IX35 ) and it’s dated on the inside.
Lack of adjustment also meant the wheel was just always too low for my comfort.
The seats were a bit firmer and comfier than the 4 though, but that was it.
I thought the seats were much better in the 4... I found the ZS a bit hard and non supportive. But I did drive the EV version of the ZS so possibly different years and models.

I thought the seats were much better in the 4... I found the ZS a bit hard and non supportive. But I did drive the EV version of the ZS so possibly different years and models.

Maybe me being used to sports seats over the years, the 4’s seats were just a bit squishy.
Might even have been a false impression in the ZS given by the lack of steering wheel height adjustment and me just feeling a bit off kilter in the driving position.
That petrol engine though, my god that was bad….

Maybe me being used to sports seats over the years, the 4’s seats were just a bit squishy.
Might even have been a false impression in the ZS given by the lack of steering wheel height adjustment and me just feeling a bit off kilter in the driving position.
The MG4's seats are squishy but very comfortable. There's some lateral support but nothing like sports seats.

Agreed MG's petrol engines best forgotten.

Oh I forgot about no in out adjustment to the steering wheel, every car should have this because not all people are the same size.

We did have an auto ZS petrol when we were in the Algarve earlier this year. Compared to EV's it was slow and non-responsive however for a petrol I didn't think it was too bad. I think the one we had was the 1.0 turbo, I've heard the 1.5NA is much worse though but thankfully have never driven one.
Was very happy to be in a ZS rather then the normal crappy Clio or 208 we normally get given!

MG are building an excellent reputation for EVs, but their ICE engines are poorly regarded. It's such a pity the new MG3 won't have a BEV option.
I had an ICE courtesy car and hated it. But that's mostly because it was a SUV hunk of a thing and I like my cars small!

MG are building an excellent reputation for EVs, but their ICE engines are poorly regarded. It's such a pity the new MG3 won't have a BEV option.
I had an ICE courtesy car and hated it. But that's mostly because it was a SUV hunk of a thing and I like my cars small!
We were looking forward to a small cheap MG3

I’m liking the drive and handling of the MG4, nice to be back in a rear wheel drive car that has enough feel to kick the back end out without feeling dangerous. I
had a ZS ev and an MG5 previously too so comparing all three the MG4 is definitely way ahead in many areas, the skateboard ev platform with rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution is king compared to an ice vehicle converted to electric drive. Having said that I really liked the MG5 and the ZS was ok but a bit bland to drive.

Interesting comparison. I have a mk1 ZS EV. I was given a loan of a 4 while mine was being serviced. Really didn't like it. Media and driving controls a complicated nightmare. Interior looks and feels much cheaper. Ride seemed harsher and drive not as smooth. Boot far too small for my needs. In conclusion it's not going to replace my ZS! Maybe new 5 will be better.

Interesting comparison. I have a mk1 ZS EV. I was given a loan of a 4 while mine was being serviced. Really didn't like it. Media and driving controls a complicated nightmare. Interior looks and feels much cheaper. Ride seemed harsher and drive not as smooth. Boot far too small for my needs. In conclusion it's not going to replace my ZS! Maybe new 5 will be better.

Nothing wrong with liking your ZS, but you must be aware of how dated it is…
If dated suits you that’s fine, but god knows where you go next.
You’re not going to find another new EV that replicates the analogue interior of the ZS.
It’s like someone hankering after Sky+ because they struggle with Sky Q.

Nothing wrong with liking your ZS, but you must be aware of how dated it is…
If dated suits you that’s fine, but god knows where you go next.
You’re not going to find another new EV that replicates the analogue interior of the ZS.
It’s like someone hankering after Sky+ because they struggle with Sky Q.
You may call it dated I call it easily and safely functional and certainly not as dangerous to use as the vehicles where HVAC and other controls are by touchscreen. It is impossible to operate without significant fivertoon of concentration. I have yet to see a car review that does not criticise this dangerous "fashion" which of course is cheaper for the manufacturers to install with only negative consequences for the user.

You may call it dated I call it easily and safely functional and certainly not as dangerous to use as the vehicles where HVAC and other controls are by touchscreen. It is impossible to operate without significant fivertoon of concentration. I have yet to see a car review that does not criticise this dangerous "fashion" which of course is cheaper for the manufacturers to install with only negative consequences for the user.
I control the HVAC (temperature, fan speed, auto mode) and Bluetooth music (volume, tracks, mute) using the steering wheel control buttons. If I want to switch off HVAC completely, it’s just a quick press of the A/C shortcut button on the control panel. I can also switch between the Instrument display and the Infotainment using the display button on the steering wheel. I find it to be easy and safe to use. I have the SE, but I think the steering wheel control buttons have even more functionality on the Trophy model. Lights and wipers/washers are controlled using the stalks.

I control the HVAC (temperature, fan speed, auto mode) and Bluetooth music (volume, tracks, mute) using the steering wheel control buttons. If I want to switch off HVAC completely, it’s just a quick press of the A/C shortcut button on the control panel. I can also switch between the Instrument display and the Infotainment using the display button on the steering wheel. I find it to be easy and safe to use. I have the SE, but I think the steering wheel control buttons have even more functionality on the Trophy model. Lights and wipers/washers are controlled using the stalks.
Is that on a 4? How do you control HVAC direction and A/C on/off, heated rear window and screen demist? Do you have to configure the buttons? What about radio selections? HVAC, demisting, Dab and nav are the controls I use all the time, though sometimes I use Android auto. Obvs didn't have time or instructions to configure when I tried the 4. Apart from that I think the interior is ugly low rent and the boot is nowhere near big enough. Like the exterior styling though. May be a Kia Niro EV next for me.

AC on/off is a physical button. As are front demist and rear demist. (All are below the Infotainment screen).

I guess many of us MG4 owners just leave the AC set to a temperature and the fan control set to Auto, so don't bother about fan direction.

Style is a personal preference, and for me the boot is plenty big enough for my needs - not everyone needs load-luggers. :)

AC and heater can be controlled from the right side steering wheel buttons

AC on/off is a physical button. As are front demist and rear demist. (All are below the Infotainment screen).

I guess many of us MG4 owners just leave the AC set to a temperature and the fan control set to Auto, so don't bother about fan direction.

Style is a personal preference, and for me the boot is plenty big enough for my needs - not everyone needs load-luggers. :)
Thanks for info but I don't like warm air to face, only to feet. BTW does it have adaptive cruise? How is that controlled? Does it have heated seats?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back