• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 with loading space in front?

DeMille

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm looking for an affordable EV with V2L and then the MG 4 is a strong candidate. But? A (too) small trunk with fortunately an almost flat floor with the rear seat folded down, not as in the MG5 with a trunk unworthy of a station wagon due to the unusable cargo space with the rear seat folded down and the main reason why I did not buy an MG5 in 2022. The MG4's small trunk is probably a result of its rear-wheel drive with the engine mounted on the rear axle. Then you assume that available space in the nose, which does not contain an engine, can be used usefully. But that is not the case, so that essentials are housed under the trunk floor as standard, which is nice if you need some of this equipment with a fully loaded trunk. For example, a charging cable must be placed somewhere in the already limited loading space to be accessible in all circumstances. MG should do something about that, especially since the space is available to house essentials at the front. Or how small adjustments can influence purchasing decisions. A 77KW version has been announced for 2023 with a driving range of 500km, hopefully with some minor adjustments to hardware and software to increase user-friendliness. Then the MG4 has no competition or it should be a 77KW version of the MG5 with usable cargo space.

I’ve had a ZS, MG5 and now have the MG4, the MG5 boot is bigger but not that much in practical use for me. I have the Trophy and there is room for a trunk in the front, I will be checking to see if I can custom fit something soon. There are side pockets in the boot that the cables can fit in if you add a Velcro strap to hold them in place, this is where I usually keep mine as I have a a big German Shepard that takes up the boot space so need the floor on the lower setting (I kept them there in the 5 too). First 2 photos and last 2 MG4. MG5 seats fold flatter if you remove the rear seat base.
As far as how the car handle, drives, and feels the MG4 is better, much better.

Attachments

• EA33F93E-84C7-4F8D-B098-C9FDF399396F.jpeg
    EA33F93E-84C7-4F8D-B098-C9FDF399396F.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 4080459E-96B2-41FC-AF3F-4AB3299780F2.jpeg
    4080459E-96B2-41FC-AF3F-4AB3299780F2.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 292
  • F1622FEF-099D-415A-89A4-EFD60FBA73A1.jpeg
    F1622FEF-099D-415A-89A4-EFD60FBA73A1.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 304
  • B520C43A-BDEB-44A8-9DE3-AB040BDC14C7.jpeg
    B520C43A-BDEB-44A8-9DE3-AB040BDC14C7.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 305
  • F4954F49-7D29-4FE7-AC8D-AE6899FDFDF8.jpeg
    F4954F49-7D29-4FE7-AC8D-AE6899FDFDF8.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 287
  • B37A18CF-3F18-4B85-B194-370DC100AACA.jpeg
    B37A18CF-3F18-4B85-B194-370DC100AACA.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 13D14672-F31D-4739-A176-EA44AF2B2E96.jpeg
    13D14672-F31D-4739-A176-EA44AF2B2E96.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 334
  • EB255A35-B324-4794-A12D-65D420FD9FCF.jpeg
    EB255A35-B324-4794-A12D-65D420FD9FCF.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 99CD73A2-18CE-48C8-B08D-1DB45F9E3970.jpeg
    99CD73A2-18CE-48C8-B08D-1DB45F9E3970.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 327
I occasionally look on AliExpress to see if anyone has offered a new under-bonnet cover with integral "frunk". Nothing there yet though.

I do know that some people have stored their Type 2 cable under the bonnet and on top of the cover - apparently when the bonnet is shut it all stays in place quite well.

I’m looking at adapting a boat deck storage trunk, ordered some bonnet struts (will make it easier to use) and will be measuring up later so will have a clearer idea. I don’t need the extra space really as plenty of options inside the car but will be an interesting project.

Just as a side note the MG5 is great really liked mine but for me its a bit like the Nissan Leaf in that it’s based on an old ice car chassis, a Buick Excelle, and an ev only design skateboard platform has so much more going for it.

I occasionally look on AliExpress to see if anyone has offered a new under-bonnet cover with integral "frunk". Nothing there yet though.

I do know that some people have stored their Type 2 cable under the bonnet and on top of the cover - apparently when the bonnet is shut it all stays in place quite well.
Apparently this crowd are developing one…

A couple of posts down the page mentions it. Think someone on here linked it before too

Apparently this crowd are developing one…

A couple of posts down the page mentions it. Think someone on here linked it before too

No mention of the MG4 on the page, just that they are developing for the ZS EV mk1 and face-lift models. Hopefully they will do an MG4 one at some point though.

No mention of the MG4 on the page, just that they are developing for the ZS EV mk1 and face-lift models. Hopefully they will do an MG4 one at some point though.
I was in direct touch with them as space is top of mind for me. They have the moulds sent in - quoted around 4 weeks until they are done testing and its ready to sell.

- The scan.

Doesnt seem much space in there shown by the video, especially if you consider you cant go deep because of radiator airflow

Doesnt seem much space in there shown by the video, especially if you consider you cant go deep because of radiator airflow
If a business made the choice to go through the expense of scanning and moulding - It'll fit the cables at minimum , which is all I want.

If a business made the choice to go through the expense of scanning and moulding - It'll fit the cables at minimum , which is all I want.
There is a picture somewhere on here where someone managed to park the plug parts of the cable in a secure position and the rest of the coiled wire sits on top of the existing plastic cover.

I would be interested in a frunk if it was practical. The one in my porsche boxster is big enough for four stuffed bags of shopping. The MG looks barely able to give space for much other than the cables?

If thats cost effective for you then great. But i think i can find space for cables easily 99% of the time as i dont travel with a full boot and 5 passengers that often

I’ve had a ZS, MG5 and now have the MG4, the MG5 boot is bigger but not that much in practical use for me. I have the Trophy and there is room for a trunk in the front, I will be checking to see if I can custom fit something soon. There are side pockets in the boot that the cables can fit in if you add a Velcro strap to hold them in place, this is where I usually keep mine as I have a a big German Shepard that takes up the boot space so need the floor on the lower setting (I kept them there in the 5 too). First 2 photos and last 2 MG4. MG5 seats fold flatter if you remove the rear seat base.
As far as how the car handle, drives, and feels the MG4 is better, much better.

The granny charger also fits under the front seats.

I have spoken to the chaps at EV Accessories in Ireland - The Frunk will have a capacity 30 liters & a carry weight of 10kg - 3-4 weeks lead time at present as they work out the correct thickness for said frunk. - & That Should be ample for my 'Junk' to be stored - Leaving the boot for 'Everything else' :cool:

I have spoken to the chaps at EV Accessories in Ireland - The Frunk will have a capacity 30 liters & a carry weight of 10kg - 3-4 weeks lead time at present as they work out the correct thickness for said frunk. - & That Should be ample for my 'Junk' to be stored - Leaving the boot for 'Everything else' :cool:
Beware that 'junk' has another meaning 😉

I would be interested in a frunk if it was practical. The one in my porsche boxster is big enough for four stuffed bags of shopping. The MG looks barely able to give space for much other than the cables?

If thats cost effective for you then great. But i think i can find space for cables easily 99% of the time as i dont travel with a full boot and 5 passengers that often
I'd imagine the vast majority of people just want somewhere to put their cables out of the way.
The bags of shopping can go in the boot, like they do in almost all cars, Boxster notwithstanding...

As I've said before .I really think that ,as we are not in the USA The front boot should be called "the froot "
😀

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel