Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

Attachments

• 008348E2-D002-4235-9C48-E38EC05860FE.jpeg
    008348E2-D002-4235-9C48-E38EC05860FE.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 205
They'll be freeloading on sexier things than an MG5 - it'll take a considerable inducement. Maybe it's for other Journos and the hope that free entry will buy a positive write up.

What a strange place to launch a low cost estate car. :rolleyes:
I'm guessing this is the section that will suit.
"Electric Avenue aims to make electric mobility uniquely accessible to everyone. Visitors will be able to explore and compare different makes and models and learn more about the benefits associated with switching to electric"

Still no internal rear light, no sunroof and the steering wheel design hasn’t changed.
They’ve added the 360deg camera but that’s already available on the Middle East and East Asia saloon versions at the moment.

Still no internal rear light, no sunroof and the steering wheel design hasn’t changed.
They’ve added the 360deg camera but that’s already available on the Middle East and East Asia saloon versions at the moment.
I thought it was largely a nose job on the current MG5LR, so wasn't expecting a lot of changes, but I could be mistaken.

isnt the new one rear wheel drive?
the two features id love over the LR i currently have are VTL and rear wheel drive. (with a bigger battery to 300miles WLTP as a bonus extra) but i havent found details besides rumours on whats actually included???

VTL is included on the EU model, but the layout, battery and running gear are a carryover from the current model.

Edit: The price will be the key to whether this is a worthwhile upgrade, particularly with the PICG gone.

Yeah - I think it's cosmetic from the perspective of revised front, small rear changes and new interior, but suspect the instruments and infotainment will follow on from the facelift ZS - so hybrid of current MG5LR battery/motor and MG Pilot suite (seen no mention of Blind Spot or Cross Traffic alerts from ZS) but with facelift ZS instrument cluster and lite version of the app

thats what i expected (just a facelift). Anyone know why all the current EVs are all front wheel drive? i could understand it in ICE cars as its a lot simpler to stick the drive near the engine, but handling is better when drive separated from steering, so steering at the front, drive a tthe back (in my experience).
throughout the market it seems to be FWD or all 4WD, nothing ive spotted is RWD

Id have thought in an EV it would be just as easy to make RWD as FWD??

thats what i expected (just a facelift). Anyone know why all the current EVs are all front wheel drive? i could understand it in ICE cars as its a lot simpler to stick the drive near the engine, but handling is better when drive separated from steering, so steering at the front, drive a tthe back (in my experience).

I suppose the future will be independent motors at each wheel that are individually controlled (assuming its cost effective) - but just now, we have mainly designers working with essentially legacy ICE platforms which are being turned into EVs.

So, in general, an EV (at least structurally) still looks like an ICE car - with a bonnet which is mainly redundant. Perhaps in 20+ years, cars will be unrecognisable as their designs won't be ruled by how ICE cars have essentially looked for 50 years.

A 7 seat MPV version of the Mitsubishi i-MiEV anyone?

The VW ID3 is RWD whilst the Golf is FWD. assuming as the MG5 is effectively an EV conversion of an ICE, it’s been retained as FWD. MG4 (aka Mulan) might be interesting as that I believe is a grounds up BEV.

I suppose the future will be independent motors at each wheel that are individually controlled (assuming its cost effective) - but just now, we have mainly designers working with essentially legacy ICE platforms which are being turned into EVs.

So, in general, an EV (at least structurally) still looks like an ICE car - with a bonnet which is mainly redundant. Perhaps in 20+ years, cars will be unrecognisable as their designs won't be ruled by how ICE cars have essentially looked for 50 years.

A 7 seat MPV version of the Mitsubishi i-MiEV anyone?
I’d like to see the saloon version of the EI5 appear here… but considering most saloon cars have disappeared (Mondeo etc) I suspect it’s doubtful…

but just now, we have mainly designers working with essentially legacy ICE platforms which are being turned into EVs.

The VW ID3 is RWD whilst the Golf is FWD. assuming as the MG5 is effectively an EV conversion of an ICE, it’s been retained as FWD. MG4 (aka Mulan) might be interesting as that I believe is a grounds up BEV.

RWD appears to be the way of the future, so dedicated EVs such as the i3, iD3, Ionic 5, KIA 6 are RWD or 4WD, whereas the ICE platform conversions such as the LEAF, Zoë, Golf, MG5 retain FWD.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom