MG5 Facelift USB music and Android Auto simultaneously

DrAndyPerry

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Well that was annoying.

After trying loads of different USB sticks with different formatting in the right hand side USB port on my facelift MG5 Trophy and none of them working, I decided to actually read the manual.

The manual reports that the right hand side is for USB power only. The left hand one being for Android auto (+ACP) as well as for USB sticks with music on. That's a pretty crap design decision, in my opinion as with faffing you can't have USB music as well as android auto at the same time and without plugging and unplugging one of the least friendly positioned USB ports there are! I tried a USB splitter cable with no joy (it was a super cheap one so I suspect it just had power to one end.

So, I had a brain wave, a USB hub. I ordered a cheapo one from Amazon, only about £5.... and it works!!! Android Auto AND USB music at the same time!

There seem to be a few limitations with the USB music playback though. Although it indexed all 10,000 songs on my stick, it seems to only playback the first 1000... in song name order, so I've only got from A to Be!

I've stuck it with some sticky patches out of the way. I'll see if it holds.

Anyway, I thought I'd report my experience incase some of you are dislocating your wrist removing and plugging in USB sticks and want a solution.

AJP

Attachments

• 20221229_185559.jpg
    20221229_185559.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20221229_190543.jpg
    20221229_190543.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221229_190036.jpg
    20221229_190036.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 79
I've been playing music from my RH USB socket since the day I got the car!
Perhaps some aspects of the Mk1 are better?

Well that was annoying.

After trying loads of different USB sticks with different formatting in the right hand side USB port on my facelift MG5 Trophy and none of them working, I decided to actually read the manual.

The manual reports that the right hand side is for USB power only. The left hand one being for Android auto (+ACP) as well as for USB sticks with music on. That's a pretty crap design decision, in my opinion as with faffing you can't have USB music as well as android auto at the same time and without plugging and unplugging one of the least friendly positioned USB ports there are! I tried a USB splitter cable with no joy (it was a super cheap one so I suspect it just had power to one end.

So, I had a brain wave, a USB hub. I ordered a cheapo one from Amazon, only about £5.... and it works!!! Android Auto AND USB music at the same time!

There seem to be a few limitations with the USB music playback though. Although it indexed all 10,000 songs on my stick, it seems to only playback the first 1000... in song name order, so I've only got from A to Be!

I've stuck it with some sticky patches out of the way. I'll see if it holds.

Anyway, I thought I'd report my experience incase some of you are dislocating your wrist removing and plugging in USB sticks and want a solution.

AJP
Hi Andy thanks for the info i might be interested in a hub can you put details please. i agree with your comments i'm beginning to find a number of irritating issues with this car compared to my old leaf i hardly had to go on the Nissan forum. a real annoyance i have found is the radio will stop whenever there's any use of the mobile apparently it's to do with Bluetooth! ridiculous!

Hi,
The hub I bought is this one.

4 Port USB Hub Special with 1 USB 3.0+ 3 USB 2.0 Hub Ultra Slim Portable Multiport Expander Charging Splitter Compatible with MacBook Desktop Computer PC (USB 3.0) https://amzn.eu/d/46vkjIQ

This is the USB3 one, you can get a USB2 one for a few pounds less.

I'm sure most will work though.

P. S. The Bluetooth interruption is quite common in cars. That drives me mad too. Its whenever the phone makes a noise the radio assumes you want to switch to Bluetooth output. If you put your phone on silent, it doesn't do this any more.

I've not found another way around this yet.

Hi,
The hub I bought is this one.

4 Port USB Hub Special with 1 USB 3.0+ 3 USB 2.0 Hub Ultra Slim Portable Multiport Expander Charging Splitter Compatible with MacBook Desktop Computer PC (USB 3.0) https://amzn.eu/d/46vkjIQ

This is the USB3 one, you can get a USB2 one for a few pounds less.

I'm sure most will work though.

P. S. The Bluetooth interruption is quite common in cars. That drives me mad too. Its whenever the phone makes a noise the radio assumes you want to switch to Bluetooth output. If you put your phone on silent, it doesn't do this any more.

I've not found another way around this yet.
thanks for that on a spending spree at the moment having realised there's no type 2 to type 2 cable! so might add it to the list. didn't have any issues with Bluetooth in the Leaf. Also connected my dashcam but it won't work via the 12v Cigarette lighter but it will through the spare USB connector.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom