• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL

Ian MG5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all
Just received my full size spare wheel (from an Audi)
The tyre is a 205/50/16
The wheel is a 6.5” x 16”
It fits in the boot spot on with the boot floor lifted to top position
(Mg5 LR)
Cheers
πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
7DDF25E2-0CF2-482C-9E9E-ED6E842100D3.jpeg
D29CB471-3D1A-420E-A587-DFB388DFDBD7.jpeg
A0B75778-806B-4671-ADDF-FCA71C65B21C.jpeg

0D575FA0-2E6D-4926-A471-A207710BE7E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Wheel brace and jack handle in spare wheel with type 2 cable
Jack is between spare wheel and rear valance
C559EDB6-FDE4-4B36-8AF9-571FD73A9C76.jpeg

Does the LR have a different size wheel to the SR then?

Does the Audi wheel have different wheel studs, i.e. dished seat or tapered seat, like the Golf space saver wheel that fits ?

Last edited:
As far as I know they are dished ones
Going to double check on my don’s Audi when he comes up on Sunday

As far as I know they are dished ones
Going to double check on my don’s Audi when he comes up on Sunday
Are the 5's dished or tapered ?
I know the ZS are tapered, I assume the 5's are as the ZS space saver spare wheel fits the 5.
You may have to buy 5 VW bolts.

They are tapered on the five

Does the LR have a different size wheel to the SR then?
No they’re the same on the sr and lr
Just couldn’t pass this nearly new tyre and wheel up for Β£30
I know it’s 10 mm wider and a 50 series not a 60 series tyre but it’s a full size spare not a space saver and the Jack and wheel brace were in the shed collecting dust
So I now have a spare wheel for a fraction of the cost of an original space saver from mg

Check out this thread.

No they’re the same on the sr and lr
Just couldn’t pass this nearly new tyre and wheel up for Β£30
I know it’s 10 mm wider and a 50 series not a 60 series tyre but it’s a full size spare not a space saver and the Jack and wheel brace were in the shed collecting dust
So I now have a spare wheel for a fraction of the cost of an original space saver from mg
Just don't be too upset if you are involved in an incident and the insurance company are not as pleased as you are using a non standard wheel.

Just don't be too upset if you are involved in an incident and the insurance company are not as pleased as you are using a non standard wheel.
Yep agree. I followed the space saver thread with people buying VW and Mercedes wheels. As much as I begrudge paying Β£259 for a space saver it would be a heck more expensive if I was in an accident with a cheap wheel solution and insurance didn't pay out.

Hi
Thanks for heads up with insurance never gave it a second thought so I have had the tyre put on an original alloy now I have had my new alloys fitted
Cheers

Hi
Thanks for heads up with insurance never gave it a second thought so I have had the tyre put on an original alloy now I have had my new alloys fitted
Cheers
Did you get new wheel studs with the new alloys ?
(just thinking, tapered or flat shouldered ?)

Yes I received new wheel studs with new alloys but different to mg ones so I will keep a set of mg ones in the boot for the spare wheel

I hope you have been supplied with bolts rather than studs unless you want the wheels to fall off!

I hope you have been supplied with bolts rather than studs unless you want the wheels to fall off!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Yes your right bolts
my bad
Haha

Hi
Cheers
Alloy now in bootπŸ‘πŸ»
451DE186-0C9A-47BA-A602-DBC3E304EC12.jpeg

With all mods if you inform your insurance company and they confirm you will still be covered then all well and good. Theoretically you are required to inform the insurer if you change the tyre manufacturer even if the new one is the same profile.

I don't like the skinny spare so am looking for a spare with the same rim profile of the car alloys fitted. An MG alloy would be best although I have found a steel rim with the same profile on Amazon for Β£69.

When I bought my Freelander I specified the full sized alloy spare and glad I did. When in the showroom later they had switched to steel rims for the spare. Although the steel spare also had the same geometry as the alloys it still had the yellow speed limiter stickers for some reason.

Selling 3 original alloys?

Hi
Yes the alloys were for sale but I have 3 people wanting to buy them for spare wheels
But if you are after one I will keep you in mind if I have a cancellation
Cheers

With all mods if you inform your insurance company and they confirm you will still be covered then all well and good. Theoretically you are required to inform the insurer if you change the tyre manufacturer even if the new one is the same profile.

I don't like the skinny spare so am looking for a spare with the same rim profile of the car alloys fitted. An MG alloy would be best although I have found a steel rim with the same profile on Amazon for Β£69.

When I bought my Freelander I specified the full sized alloy spare and glad I did. When in the showroom later they had switched to steel rims for the spare. Although the steel spare also had the same geometry as the alloys it still had the yellow speed limiter stickers for some reason.

Selling 3 original alloys?
Hi insurance have been informed of wheels and it just cost me Β£23.03 for admin fee’s
Someone has said they don’t want one of the alloys if you are interested

Which Audi model did the wheel come from ?
Hi
I’m not sure what model Audi it was
But I have now used one of the spare alloys that I have after my alloy swop as a few people have commented on if I was in an accident with a Audi wheel on what would the insurance say
Anyway the way I look for wheels is the wheel size pcd and offset
Mg5
Wheel size 16” x 6.5”
pcd is 5x112
offset is 41mm
Hope this helps

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back