• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Instavolt charging problems.

Alton MG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone else had problems charging at Instavolt station? Have spent the last hour trying to charge at Banbury charging station. Tried four different chargers and assisted by Instavolt helpline but everyone stopped charging immediately after starting. The help person finally said it must be our car. Has this happened to anyone else?

Has anyone else had problems charging at Instavolt station? Have spent the last hour trying to charge at Banbury charging station. Tried four different chargers and assisted by Instavolt helpline but everyone stopped charging immediately after starting. The help person finally said it must be our car. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes. I experienced exactly the same problem with my 5LR at several different chargers in Dumfries (Scotland) in September last year. I’ve charged okay on the few occasions when I’ve been lucky enough to find a working Instavolt charger elsewhere that wasn’t being used by a DPD van :(

Happened to me on some of the new McDonalds chargers a while back, tried for a good half hour, going back and forward between the two, using the app or direct with a card; no luck, next time I used a week or so later they worked. I don't think I did anything different, apart from start the charge while the car was locked, and maybe a few other superstitous routines I've picked up.:)

I don't think I did anything different, apart from start the charge while the car was locked
That's exactly the thing to do. The car seems to only be able to start charging within a small window. Locking the doors then starting the charge seems pretty reliable.

I've used InstaVolt twice, never had any issues on my 5SR. Now, GeniePoint at Morrissons... don't get me started! In fact that's EXACTLY the problem... they never start! :rolleyes:

That's exactly the thing to do. The car seems to only be able to start charging within a small window. Locking the doors then starting the charge seems pretty reliable.
Perhaps that’s usually the case, but it didn’t work for me.

Perhaps that’s usually the case, but it didn’t work for me.
Sometimes it seems to get into a state where it won't accept charge. It happens at home occasionally where it just sits there saying 'connected, uncharged'. Unplugging, locking and walking away for a few minutes always fixes it. Instavolts usually work without issue but occasionally fail in you don't get the timing right. I have their RFID card (saves faffing with the app) which works well on all their older units.

I had one fail to negotiate then cause system fault which took 10mins or so of leaving the car locked to clear, it worked after that.

Going to start carrying a spanner to disconnect the 12v I think.
Might also see if it's possible to clear the fault with an OBD2 dongle. (Cheap code scanner didn't work as can't talk to car). My old bluetooth OBD2 can talk to the car but it's not supported on iOS

The MG ZS EV does the same. Sometimes it charges no problem, other times it stops straight after starting or won’t connect.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom