• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Insurance

greentangerine

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Collected my car today and trying to alter my current insurance online - I'm with Admiral.

Reg # isn't showing up and neither is the model (i.e. MG5) if I try to do it manually. Currently trying to make a customer service agent over webchat comprehend but have for interest also tried Tesco and LV to see if they know what an MG5 is and no luck there either.

Who does know? I'm presuming you are all insured successfully!

Hi It will take couple of days for your vehicle to appear in the database. I used 5 days free driveaway insurance from MG and experienced the same when tried different insurers. You can manually select the model by selecting MGUK and MG 5 to get a quote without registration number.

I'm insured with LV. My MG5 is currently down as an MGZS until they update with the 5 model. My policy states this and I have been told it will be updated as soon as they have the information.

The brokers who arranged cover for my Leaf couldn't find anyone to insure my 5, so I had to cancel the policy. I was annoyed as it was quite a steep cancellation fee, but ended up working in my favour as the meerkats sorted me out with Aviva for just over £280, £160 less than the Leaf. The old brokers couldn't find details for the 5, either. Considering the scare stories about expensive cover, I'm a very happy chappy

I got my existing insurance amended (MG5 purchase was with a trade-in) and it was a few £ to run until the current policy expires. I'll re-visit then for other quotes. They also couldn't find the car on the database even though it had been registered!

Cost me just under £10 to change the existing insurance which runs for another 4 months.
Previous car was a golf r-line 1.5 in group 16 or so.
This one is in group 30+ being a new model and an unknown risk, so very pleased.
Insurance is with Aviva

Seems to be a recurring theme.

I had a pick up a few years back, and according to my policy, it was a caravan... When I phoned to ask about adding a snorkel, I was asked why I was fitting it, because that's something only 4x4s had.

getting my new MG 5 in a few days so hoping it is a smooth insurance transition... my dealer said they had no insurance at the moment. Is the 5 days free insurance with MG UK or dealers MAS ?

getting my new MG 5 in a few days so hoping it is a smooth insurance transition... my dealer said they had no insurance at the moment. Is the 5 days free insurance with MG UK or dealers MAS ?
MG insurance I think. I tried to do the free 5 day cover but after 20 minutes on hold I gave up and called my current insurer and simply added the new car to my existing policy for £20 ish to cover me till the policy expiry

My insurance gave me free insurance on the new car for 24 hours to overlap with insurance on the car I was trading in. Nice touch....worth checking.
LV do this too - very good, removes the worry of cover overlap during changeover

Dealer will complete the application and activate 24 hrs driveaway insurance at the time of collection, that you can extend by calling MG insurance by another 4 days. You will also get a quote, which was not very competitive.

MG insurance I think. I tried to do the free 5 day cover but after 20 minutes on hold I gave up and called my current insurer and simply added the new car to my existing policy for £20 ish to cover me till the policy expiry
24 hr driveaway insurance is activated by the dealer, when you call you for extra 4 days, there is an option for them to call back, that I used and did receive call back in reasonable time. No hassle to extend it by 4 days.

Ask them about 'driveaway insurance'

FREE DRIVEAWAY INSURANCE:​

Buy a new or used MG from an MG dealer and we’ll give you FREE MG Driveaway Insurance**. Driveaway Insurance takes away the hassle of arranging insurance before picking up your new vehicle and we’ll also give you a competitive, non-obligatory MG Insurance quote for the year. To arrange free Driveaway Insurance, call us today 0800 980 1694 or ask your dealer.

I had a similar problem when trying to insure our ZS EV.
I rang my insurance company about mid December 2019, ready for collection on the 6th Jan 2020.
They did not have the car even showing on the data base so was unable to quote on the car !.
The advisor explained that there data base was only updated with the new car models and premium rates about every 30 days.
It was likely if I ran back in a couple of weeks, it would be showing on the system.
I could not take that chance and found that LV had already loaded the car to there systems and cars I insured with them.
I was happy with the price I paid at the time, but when the renewal notice came through this year, they increased the cost by £85.
By now the other companies had caught up and there where a lot more quotes available this year.
I switched company and saved the increase for the same level cover.
Having to switch each year has become a regular feature now with insurance companies.
They tend to quote cheap for the first year and then automatically renew your policy and hope you miss the increase in price !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom