MG5 LR Dashcam placement.

defeatedbythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Thinking about getting a dashcam hardwired into my new LR. Was hoping some of you might have done this and could share the placement?

With the large rear view mirror I'm torn where would look tidy and not interfere with my view.

Any suggestions?

ps probably gonna get Halfords to fit it as I am not handy at all.

Similar position for me.
I can't see it from the driver's seat.

Got it booked in tomorrow morning at a Halfords a few miles away.

My nearest had nothing until mid December. Got lucky with the other branch

Can anyone confirm if Halfords fitted the camera to their MG5? I'm asking since I spotted on the Halfords site they won't fit to EVs.

Mine is booked in this Sunday for a fitting, I only noticed after ordering it that they don't do EVs. Time will tell I guess?!

As in my post above they fitted mine for me. I haven't seen the No Ev fitting on the web site you refer to, but I think it depends on the individual fitter!

I haven't seen the No Ev fitting on the web site you refer to, but I think it depends on the individual fitter!
Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 10.13.15.jpg

Can anyone confirm if Halfords fitted the camera to their MG5? I'm asking since I spotted on the Halfords site they won't fit to EVs.

Mine is booked in this Sunday for a fitting, I only noticed after ordering it that they don't do EVs. Time will tell I guess?!
They fit mine at the Halfords in Longwell Green although they looked a bit confused to begin with

Guessing they're a bit cautious of their installers (usually a 12 year old with a badge) coming into contact with a 400v battery due to only having ICE specific training.

Definitely down to ignorance.

If they don't open the bonnet (they don't need to) then they are not going to get anyway near traction battery voltages. Apart from that anything that has those sort of voltages on it would be securely covered and very well marked.

Perhaps they assume their staff are so incompetent they will find a way of screwing things up?
Easiest to just DIY seeing as there is more than one guide posted here.

Compared to some the location of the fuse box is a little obscure and once you have found it getting full access needs a little more work.

I wonder if Halfords have some form of guidebook for this task, if so I would be a little surprised if the MG5 appears in it yet (if ever). I used an educated guess as to which fuses to tap off based on experience from many years ago.

Hi Neil
I booked for Halfords for a mobile fitting in December, when they arrived they said they couldn't fit to electric vehicles.
I questioned this at their offices and they confirmed and I was refunded.

Hi Neil
I booked for Halfords for a mobile fitting in December, when they arrived they said they couldn't fit to electric vehicles.
I questioned this at their offices and they confirmed and I was refunded.
Thanks for the info. Appears it's a mixed bag as Halfords have fitted for some and refused others! I'll report back on Sunday after they've taken a look at mine.

As others have said, it's no different from an ICE vehicle. It's just a 12v battery and traditional fuse box. I'm guessing they simply don't want to mess the car up. Which could be avoided by employing competent auto technicians in the first place....

Its likely to be something like their liability insurance doesn't cover work on EV's without completion of an updated training course. Rather than just a knee-jerk ignorant response. No less frustrating though for those that are booked in and then get turned away on the day.

I wonder if they would know it's an EV if you just told them it's an MG ZS ?

Honestly, I don't even know why I bothered. So I received a text from Halfords to say my camera fitting was booked Sunday, and my camera had arrive for Click and Collect:

Me: Hi, i'm here for my dash cam fitting appointment
Hal: Erm.... a dashcam fitting?
Yes, I'm booked in for today.
Hal: Erm... how?
Me: sorry, what? I purchased a dash cam and selected today as a fitting date?
Hal: Oh, ok. How did you do that?
Me: Sorry come again?! Via your website?!
Hal: Oh. Erm, we can't fit it.
Me: Why?!
Hal: We don't have any fitters.
Me: So why did the site let me book it then?!
Hal: Oh it does that. Been like it for ages.
Me: It lets me book when you don't have fitters?
Hal: Yes.
Me: Refund me the fitting, I'll do it myself. Can I have my camera then.
Hal: You ordered a camera?
Me: Of for f@cks sake, YES I ORDERED IT ON YOUR SITE!
Hal: To come to store?
Me: YES!! I have a click and collect confirmation. It's at your store right now.
Hal: Erm, hold on...

So it took two staff and another long wait to even find the camera.

So, on to Amazon for a fitting kit HERE (hopefully this will be OK for the MG5). Just need to find out which fuse to use!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom