MG5 Motor and transmission noise

sparkygoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My MG5 makes a high pitched motor/transmission whine when accelerating or slowing, especially at lower speeds. Quite a nice soothing sound actually. :) But there is a lower pitched rougher grating/rumbling sort off noise quite noticeable when going into overrun, regardless of kers setting, at about 45-50mph and generally always present around 35-40mph. you can "play" it on/off to some extent by slightly easing the accelerator accelerator but it's generally always present around 35-40mph. Is this just normal acceptable motor noise or could this be some part of the powertrain slightly out of normal spec?Don't get me wrong, this is in gerneral a lovely quiet car but I'm just a litle concerned that I didnt notice this noise aspect on the initial test drive vehicle a few weeks back. ( I've done 450mls in my MG5 so far ). Anyone else got this kind of noise going on ?

Hi Sparkygoat welcome to the forum I can see you new here, so in answer to you query there can be a little winding at times but nothing major best advice I can offer is go back to your dealer and ask there opinion that’s what I would do for sure
Les

Last edited:
It's part of the terms and conditions of your warranty that you should notify the dealer immediately if you think something is not quite right with the transmission.
Get it on file then worry about whether it's a real issue or not.

Didn't someone on here have something similar that turned out to be the air conditioning pump ?

It's part of the terms and conditions of your warranty that you should notify the dealer immediately if you think something is not quite right with the transmission.
Get it on file then worry about whether it's a real issue or no

Hi Sparkygoat welcome to the forum I can see you new here, so in answer to you query there can be a little winding at times but nothing major best advice I can offer is go back to your dealer and ask there opinion that’s what I would do for sure
Les
Thanks for that advice Les. I just discussed this with the dealer rep this morning. Did'nt seem that concerned really but for peace of mind asked me to speak to one of thier more experienced guys tomorrow.

Thanks for that advice Les. I just discussed this with the dealer rep this morning. Did'nt seem that concerned really but for peace of mind asked me to speak to one of thier more experienced guys tomorrow.
Please let us know how you get on, and if your not happy with their response and they have another car perhaps a demo vehicle or even an employees car demand a drive in it and then you will know if what they tell you is right or not when you compare the to, also note above what Kithmo has written above and he might be on to something there was somewhere on here where an air con pump had to be replaced but I can’t remember what for and if it was in a 5 or a ZS
Les

Edit found it under MG5 Parts availability

Tom McConnell

Premium Member
JoinedJan 31, 2021Messages46Reaction score28Points18 Aldershot, EnglandDrivingMG5 EV
Hi all,

I picked up my new MG5 at the end of January and on the drive home I noticed a loud metallic grinding noise when the air conditioning is on.

I got the car booked into the dealer on Thursday 18th Feb to be diagnosed.

Turns out the A/C compressor (pump) was failing and has to be replaced along with the a/c piping and condenser (radiator).

Good practice is that if the compressor is failing, metal filings/shards from the bearings or impeller can distribute themselves throughout the pipes and condenser, so all three components should be replaced. If only the compressor is replaced then residual metal shards can damage the new one as they are pumped around the old pipes and condenser. So causing another warranty claim and inconvenience.

The compressor and condenser are in stock at MG UK but currently the pipes are not available. So the dealer is currently working with MG UK to source them. Worse case is they have to be shipped from China on a ship taking 6 weeks.

This time of year not having a/c is not an issue and I can leave it turned off, but the service department told me that the a/c also cools the battery and it can come on automatically when required by the battery computer. So there could be a risk to the battery if the car is run.

So I will keep you updated as I learn more about the pipe back order situation and get the car fixed.

Anyone else had parts availability issues ?

Last edited:
hmmm....Took the car out for a good long run at various speeds. No untoward noises at all. Running really quiet. I'm beginning to wonder if this car ( other electric cars too? ) go through a running in phase whereby the moving bits in the drivetrain do actually polish up. Difference being that there's no diesel clattering away to distract keen ears from any slight mechanical noises, of which there are bound to be some.
Please let us know how you get on, and if your not happy with their response and they have another car perhaps a demo vehicle or even an employees car demand a drive in it and then you will know if what they tell you is right or not when you compare the to, also note above what Kithmo has written above and he might be on to something there was somewhere on here where an air con pump had to be replaced but I can’t remember what for and if it was in a 5 or a ZS
Les

Edit found it under MG5 Parts availability

Tom McConnell

Premium Member
JoinedJan 31, 2021Messages46Reaction score28Points18 Aldershot, EnglandDrivingMG5 EV
Hi all,

I picked up my new MG5 at the end of January and on the drive home I noticed a loud metallic grinding noise when the air conditioning is on.

I got the car booked into the dealer on Thursday 18th Feb to be diagnosed.

Turns out the A/C compressor (pump) was failing and has to be replaced along with the a/c piping and condenser (radiator).

Good practice is that if the compressor is failing, metal filings/shards from the bearings or impeller can distribute themselves throughout the pipes and condenser, so all three components should be replaced. If only the compressor is replaced then residual metal shards can damage the new one as they are pumped around the old pipes and condenser. So causing another warranty claim and inconvenience.

The compressor and condenser are in stock at MG UK but currently the pipes are not available. So the dealer is currently working with MG UK to source them. Worse case is they have to be shipped from China on a ship taking 6 weeks.

This time of year not having a/c is not an issue and I can leave it turned off, but the service department told me that the a/c also cools the battery and it can come on automatically when required by the battery computer. So there could be a risk to the battery if the car is run.

So I will keep you updated as I learn more about the pipe back order situation and get the car fixed.

Anyone else had parts availability issues ?
Thanks!. Will take it for a run in the morning with the A/C on.

Took the car to the dealer this morning as a follow up to my emails. The car was making no untoward noises, ( and with air con on). They said they've kept a note on the vehicle file about this and are saying to take it in again if this noise comes back. So maybe the end of this episode for the foreseeable. Just loving this car though!. Thanks everyone for the quick response info and advice. Great forum.

Some years ago, I wrote a retrospective article on problems encountered after 7 years of Focus ST ownership.
In the section dealing with odd noises, those attributable to an actual problem totalled 1 whilst those attributable to paranoia totalled multiple dozens :LOL:

Some years ago, I wrote a retrospective article on problems encountered after 7 years of Focus ST ownership.
In the section dealing with odd noises, those attributable to an actual problem totalled 1 whilst those attributable to paranoia totalled multiple dozens :LOL:
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me !. :))
I have a Volvo XC70. Made a slight grumbling noise two years ago. Haldex/Diff quote from dealer was over £8k in labour(!). Fortunately, found a real engineer who rebuilt the diff for £600 and confirmed the haldex okay. He said if I'd ignored it I would indeed have been into £000's.. The moral is : ignore the funny noises but do be the "1" and not one of the dirty dozens. :)). Anyway, that's enough about old ICE cars. Next thing I'll be talking about exhaust pipes or EGR's and get banned : -))

Didn't someone on here have something similar that turned out to be the air conditioning pump ?
Yes, my air conditioning compressor was making a noise when I drove it away from the dealer on delivery. They eventually had to replace the whole air con system which meant I could not drive the car for a month while the parts were imported from China. All cool now 😎

Would it be a good idea to get the air conditioning demonstrated as part of the delivery handover process? Better to see (hear) an issue before you take the car away I'd have thought or is this so rare that it's not worthwhile?

Yes, my air conditioning compressor was making a noise when I drove it away from the dealer on delivery. They eventually had to replace the whole air con system which meant I could not drive the car for a month while the parts were imported from China. All cool now 😎
Crivens!..did you get a courtesy car?

My MG5 makes a high pitched motor/transmission whine when accelerating or slowing, especially at lower speeds. Quite a nice soothing sound actually. :) But there is a lower pitched rougher grating/rumbling sort off noise quite noticeable when going into overrun, regardless of kers setting, at about 45-50mph and generally always present around 35-40mph. you can "play" it on/off to some extent by slightly easing the accelerator accelerator but it's generally always present around 35-40mph. Is this just normal acceptable motor noise or could this be some part of the powertrain slightly out of normal spec?Don't get me wrong, this is in gerneral a lovely quiet car but I'm just a litle concerned that I didnt notice this noise aspect on the initial test drive vehicle a few weeks back. ( I've done 450mls in my MG5 so far ). Anyone else got this kind of noise going on ?
Hi sparky just wondering in the first part of your post from Wednesday last you wrote

My MG5 makes a high pitched motor/transmission whine when accelerating or slowing, especially at lower speeds. Quite a nice soothing sound actually.

Now with the Lower speeds is what I’m looking at could it be the Pedestrian alert system that your hearing this seems to operate from around 0-18mph when speeding up and 18-0mph when slowing down not sure if you know about this but it’s just as you describe it an high pitch whine long shot but could it be?

When I first got my 5 I wondered if I had a fault until it was explained to me it was my next door Neighbour who said to me what’s that Noise it’s making sounds like a jet, so I started trying to find out and came across the pedestrian alert system which it is designed to do to alert pedestrians , I forgot about this just trying to help as your new to the car having only done 450 or so miles this is the problem with this forum when people list things your mind starts ticking and you can lose sleep if you go in to far LOL
Les

Hi sparky just wondering in the first part of your post from Wednesday last you wrote

My MG5 makes a high pitched motor/transmission whine when accelerating or slowing, especially at lower speeds. Quite a nice soothing sound actually.

Now with the Lower speeds is what I’m looking at could it be the Pedestrian alert system that your hearing this seems to operate from around 0-18mph when speeding up and 18-0mph when slowing down not sure if you know about this but it’s just as you describe it an high pitch whine long shot but could it be?

When I first got my 5 I wondered if I had a fault until it was explained to me it was my next door Neighbour who said to me what’s that Noise it’s making sounds like a jet, so I started trying to find out and came across the pedestrian alert system which it is designed to do to alert pedestrians , I forgot about this just trying to help as your new to the car having only done 450 or so miles this is the problem with this forum when people list things your mind starts ticking and you can lose sleep if you go in to far LOL
Les
Hi Les, Thanks for that, but I did know about the pedestrian alert. It's that Roswell type noise at lower speeds. The noise I was getting was a grating/"transmissioney"/"diffy" type noise between 40 to 50. But seems to have gone now. Reported to dealer anyway and they said there was no need to take this car in for checks unless this re appears or gets worse. Maybe I just need to listen to some really loud music for a week or two to de sensitise my ears. ...Or I could just go for a 5 minute drive in my old volvo.

It could be a stone stuck in the backplate of the brakes - I've had that from time to time with previous vehicles. Seems unlikely I have to admit. Nice to know these vehicles are covered by a 7yr warranty :).

Sometimes several small stones stuck in a tyre can make some strange rumbling sounds.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom