• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 DashCam Wiring

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
To access the fuse box, the owners manual states:

Remove the driver side dashboard end cover plate and
lower trim panel to access the fuse box.

I'm not seeing anything that looks as if it's meant to be easily removed. Has anyone had the end cover off and did it move willingly?

End cover comes off easily with the plastic pry tools you can buy.

I took both of mine off as i was looking if there was an airbag deactivation switch hidden.

It comes of fairly easily but access to the fuses is limited and hard to get your hand in. There’s 2 screws at the side and you can lower the lower panel under the steering column give slightly better access , but I don’t think mg intended mere mortals to enter there.

Yes a plastic trim tool saves damage and I just pulled off with my fingers when the gap was bigger

I've managed to gain access and as you say, removal is not too difficult. There are a surprising number of fairly beefy clips for such a small panel.
IMGP1430.JPG

Didn't attempt to move the lower panel because the fuse I selected for my dash camera cable (Fuse 1 - 15A ignition switched feeding the 12V power socket) was just about accessible (forget it if you have fat fingers though :ROFLMAO: ).

The location of this panel is a really poor piece of design but perhaps it works OK on the LHD cars?

This is what it looks like with the panel removed:
IMGP1426.JPG

Fuse 1 is circled in red in this picture:
IMGP1429a.jpg

It's very difficult trying to manoeuvre the piggy back fuse holder into place but I got there in the end. You can see the original blue 15A fuse with the 2A dash camera fuse below it:
IMGP1457.JPG

That’s the one I chose as well and put the earth under the top bolt. 👍

Pretty sure it was Micro.
The NextBase fitting kit comes with all three sizes.

Pretty sure it was Micro.
The NextBase fitting kit comes with all three sizes.

I can however confirm it is NOT the low-profile version as I ordered them and then discovered they don't fit.

Here's a photo comparing the low profile piggyback adapter to an actual fuse from the MG5:
mg5vslowprofile.jpg

In other news: plastic tools are not necessary to remove the panel... I literally pulled it off with just my fingers. I started towards to bottom, and then pulled the closes edge near steering wheel out once it started having a gap. Slightly tricky to remove the back (nearest bonnet/door), but came out with some wiggling.

The official Nextbase kit is here: Series 2 Hardwire Kit | Nextbase
The picture is not up to date because it now contains three fuse sizes rather than two.
I actually bought mine through Halfords as I had a discount voucher.

Also here’s a photo of the actual product. The product page says 11cm width and you can see it has the teeth, unlike the low profile, which have the same width.

1635076608880.jpeg

I've managed to gain access and as you say, removal is not too difficult. There are a surprising number of fairly beefy clips for such a small panel.
View attachment 4368

Didn't attempt to move the lower panel because the fuse I selected for my dash camera cable (Fuse 1 - 15A ignition switched feeding the 12V power socket) was just about accessible (forget it if you have fat fingers though :ROFLMAO: ).

The location of this panel is a really poor piece of design but perhaps it works OK on the LHD cars?

View attachment 4369

View attachment 4370

It's very difficult trying to manoeuvre the piggy back fuse holder into place but I got there in the end. You can see the original blue 15A fuse with the 2A dash camera fuse below bb
View attachment 4368

View attachment 4369

View attachment 4370

It's very difficult trying to manoeuvre the piggy back fuse holder into place but I got there in the end. You can see the original blue 15A fuse with the 2A dash camera fuse below it:
View attachment 4371
Brilliant Photos. To get full access to the passenger compartment fuse box, having removed the end panel, it is necessary to remove the oblong panel immediately under the steering wheel. Unscrew the two Philips retaining screws under the end panel. Remove the oblong panel. You will need plastic trim removal tools. The retainers are VERY stiff.

Drivers are allowed to deactivate AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System), or artificial engine noise "if judged necessary". There is no option for this on the MG5 EV Excite Infotainment menus, This can be done by removing fuse F53 - bottom LHS of the triangular shaped panel. For those that can add a dashcam, adding a switch for this would be a walk in the park,

Once you remove the two screws release the two clips and pry the front underdash trim towards the back to prevent them reengaging. Then get a firm hold of the trim to the right of the column at the top and below the bonnet release. Pull back firmly to release the trim then the same for the trim to the left of the column to fully release the trim panel. Let it hang down on its cables an bonnet pull cable.

Full access to the fuse board.:)

How you guys getting to it, I've not exactly fat fingers but cannot get the fuse out. Being fair I can't find my extraction tool so it's even harder.
Is there not a fuse puller in the fuse box, there is in the ZS ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom